Calories in egg whites

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I realized something isnt adding up here.

1 Carton of member mark egg whites delivers 50g protein, 0fat, 0carbs but lists 250 calories... If protein is 4cals per gram this carton should be 200 cals. Where is the extra 50 coming from??? Additives? Fillers? Thinking i shouldnt buy these anymore...

Mesomorphin

Awards
Good question! Something is definitely off here. You'd think they would be required to report additives. My guess is that they either got the grams P/carton wrong or the calories.

thewingnut13

Awards
There is actually like 0.8 carbs per white so maybe that is why?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^if they use a small enough serving size on the label they round it to zero, it's not zero.

That is too far off to be rounding though, very odd.
I'd just go by standard eggwhites nutrition and weigh it out maybe.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Labels, for the most part, count carbohydrates and protein as 5 kcal/g and fat as 10 kcal/g

That's why you see labels using nice round numbers like 120 Cal/ serving instead of 133

mbell4377

mbell4377

Awards
I've seen a lot of labels that are incredibly off, check out a no sugar monster drink, check that math out, lol

Mesomorphin

Awards
I've seen a lot of labels that are incredibly off, check out a no sugar monster drink, check that math out, lol
Agree. My liquid egg whites claim to contain "about" 10 egg whites and 50 g P. I spent years buying the biggest possible jumbo eggs, and they had 8 g P/egg - half of which would have been yolk. Unless, the liquid egg whites are coming from ostriches, there is no way they are getting 50 grams of protein from 10 whites!

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Again not really... Rounding must also be considered

Erythritol, the sweetener they use, only has 0.2 kcal/g.

Per serving there are 2 g of erythritol (label as a carb) but only 0.4 kcal

It's <0.5 calories so they round down to zero

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So anyone have an idea of how many carbs in a carton?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're talking 12g if you go either way with cho/pro and 5g if fat.

Don't stress over it. It's 50kcal. You'll burn it off working out? If you goal is in a deficit, 50kxal won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Labels, for the most part, count carbohydrates and protein as 5 kcal/g and fat as 10 kcal/g

That's why you see labels using nice round numbers like 120 Cal/ serving instead of 133
So anyone have an idea of how many carbs in a carton?
Ok. But where the extra 50 calories go? Fat Carbs or protein?
Yes negligible amounts...
But like I said, proteins, on food labels, are counted as 5 Calories/gram

5x50=....

Yes I know it looks weird but if you look at it in terms of a serving, the difference is not huge. But when you are taking into account the difference caused by rounding and multiplying it by 10 servings, the imaginary calories start to add up

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks fellas. Personally im not tripping at all in regards to the calories if its related to fat or protein, but if they are carbs i cannot afford them in my diet and just wont use at this point. If its 50 cals from carbs, thats 12.5 and thats not going to be feasable. I was doing two cartons a day. That could damn near knock me out of keto, and thats just two of 7 meals... You see my concern

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes negligible amounts...
But like I said, proteins, on food labels, are counted as 5 Calories/gram

5x50=....

Yes I know it looks weird but if you look at it in terms of a serving, the difference is not huge. But when you are taking into account the difference caused by rounding and multiplying it by 10 servings, the imaginary calories start to add up
You learn something new evryday. Thanks.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
That's also f#{%ed btw.
Label laws are so much nicer up here.

My whites are 120 for 30g protein.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fellas. Personally im not tripping at all in regards to the calories if its related to fat or protein, but if they are carbs i cannot afford them in my diet and just wont use at this point. If its 50 cals from carbs, thats 12.5 and thats not going to be feasable. I was doing two cartons a day. That could damn near knock me out of keto, and thats just two of 7 meals... You see my concern
Numbers don't make you fat or get you ripped, they don't put you in or out of keto. The C/P/F you eat do. Watch the scale and the mirror and stop tripping over numbers (you say you aren't, and then progress to obsess over a label).
As humans, we tend to over complicate everything-this thread is a perfect example. Just eat healthy, bust a$s in the gym and observe the results. If it's not working, change something

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Numbers don't make you fat or get you ripped, they don't put you in or out of keto. The C/P/F you eat do. Watch the scale and the mirror and stop tripping over numbers (you say you aren't, and then progress to obsess over a label).
As humans, we tend to over complicate everything-this thread is a perfect example. Just eat healthy, bust a$s in the gym and observe the results. If it's not working, change something
The whole point of this thread is inquiring if anyone knows where the 50 cals come from. Period. This is the nutrition section, not weight loss, training or otherwise. In nutrition macros and micros matter. Maybe not in your overall program, but in mine and many others it does. Just like protein spiking, I, as a consumer have the right to know what i put in my body. Bodybuilding is my lifestyle. I invest alot into it, and contrary to your beliefs, details do matter. It is general consensus that in order to be in ketosis you need to keep carbs under 30grams a day. My question was related to nutrition. If that is beyond your knowledge of the subject, with all due respect, how about not even posting at all, it doesnt contribute to the op.