Rest days and macros

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys change your macros during rest days?
I've been lowering my carbs and keeping my fats higher while proteins and kcal the same..
As I'm usually training in the evening I don't think it affects my workouts and since carbs are not essential makes the most sense to me (also I love fats lol)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Currently I'm lowering carbs on rest days. Proteins and fats pretty much stay the same.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Currently I'm lowering carbs on rest days. Proteins and fats pretty much stay the same.
Same here. Lowered kcals and carbs on lower activity days for me.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you guys change your macros during rest days?
I've been lowering my carbs and keeping my fats higher while proteins and kcal the same..
As I'm usually training in the evening I don't think it affects my workouts and since carbs are not essential makes the most sense to me (also I love fats lol)
If you feel more comfortable doing so, you can. At the end of the day you are eating the same total calories, just modifying the macros. At the end of the 7 day period as long as you are meeting your caloric surplus or deficit is what matters most. Some like to keep them the same everyday, some like to carb cycle, some like to swing calories. Personal preference and what you enjoy doing most.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I lower carb intake on rest days during cutting and recomp diets. I find it helpful for staying lean. I don't lower carbs on rest days while bulking though. I like to keep the intake consistent during a bulk to focus on maintaining a surplus to help recovery and to make it easier to put on weight

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I lower carb intake on rest days during cutting and recomp diets. I find it helpful for staying lean. I don't lower carbs on rest days while bulking though. I like to keep the intake consistent during a bulk to focus on maintaining a surplus to help recovery and to make it easier to put on weight

do you lower just carbs or kcal too?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you feel more comfortable doing so, you can. At the end of the day you are eating the same total calories, just modifying the macros. At the end of the 7 day period as long as you are meeting your caloric surplus or deficit is what matters most. Some like to keep them the same everyday, some like to carb cycle, some like to swing calories. Personal preference and what you enjoy doing most.
I came in to say this exact thing. If one needs 21,000 cals per week to gain weight, it does not matter if calories are distributed 3,000 over 7 days or are regulated on off days and training days. Both will illicit the same effect.

To answer your question OP, I personal carb/calorie cycle. Three days per week I eat 2,550 cals, two days per week 2800 and two days 3,050 cals. Carb intake is lowest on the lowest cal days, a little higher on the moderate cal days and the highest on the high cal days. Fat and protein is roughly the same, but I do have set carb macros on each day.

Give the article below a read. It is good on calorie/carb cycling and I built my own diet off that. I do not follow it to a T. Check out my log, the link is in my signature. I post daily macros so you can get a sense of caloric intake plus macros for me.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
do you lower just carbs or kcal too?
I typically lower calories too, depending on my goals and progress. When I'm dieting and my fat intake is on the lower side, I'll bump it up on rest days to make up some of the difference in calories from eating less carbs

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Then you're lowering the kcal on rest days right?
Yep. I'm lowering total calories on rest days by dropping some carbs and keeping the rest pretty much the same.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like to lower my cals on rest days. Protein i always keep at a certain base number and hardly ever stray from it. Its fats and carbs that i change. When im consuming carbs in my diet i will usually drop them out completly on my rest days. When doing a keto style diet i will lower my fats on my rest days.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I like to lower my cals on rest days. Protein i always keep at a certain base number and hardly ever stray from it. Its fats and carbs that i change. When im consuming carbs in my diet i will usually drop them out completly on my rest days. When doing a keto style diet i will lower my fats on my rest days.
Pretty much exactly what I do haha. Seems to work well for me