CPAP investment

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's gonna cost over $1,500 to get the over night sleep study performed to determine whether or not I will need a $200 CPAP machine. Would it be safe to just invest in a cheaper cpap and try it out on a low setting? And if it doesn't do anything, just sell it? The machine itself I've found online for only a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried recording yourself while you sleep?

I assume you don't have insurance

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's 1500 out of pocket. I have not recorded myself, however I know that my resting breaths are incredibly shallow. I think it may be in part due to excessive tension in the musculature in my back from deadlifting which is partially alleviated by deep soft tissue work. However it just comes back the following day

JG93

JG93

Awards
It's 1500 out of pocket. I have not recorded myself, however I know that my resting breaths are incredibly shallow. I think it may be in part due to excessive tension in the musculature in my back from deadlifting which is partially alleviated by deep soft tissue work. However it just comes back the following day
I think that question is answered on its own.
The cpap you can get for cheap.
It isn't like your gonna be out of money..
Either you spend 1500 and get the machine as well... Or you spend the couple hundred and get the machine...

If you spend the 1500 and don't need the machine... Then your out that much. Instead of a couple hundred.

I have sleep apnea as well. No machine though as I'm cheap and hate **** on my face to begin with.

Check the way you sleep, how your neck is, and even maybe try nasal strips. If you have a spouse, have them watch you in your sleep with the strips, in different positions, and figure that out.
Then, if needed.. Just buy the damn machine and go from there.

Goodluck!

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
The study is beyond worth it.

My wife is a sleep doctor and she has helped so many people with bettering their lives; changing their life for the better or saving it unexpectedly.

Some people would come in for a sleep study expecting just one problem to be fixed, but she'll find a whole slew of problems caused by each other, and she'll fix them.

For example, one lady came in with what she thought was sleep apnea. My wife studied her and found she only stopped breathing when on her right side. When she laid on her left side she was fine... She ordered an MRI for her, and found that one lung collapses when she lays on her side. They took a small piece of her lung and found out that the walls of the lung had cancer cells undetected by any other tests.

So, long story short, ordering your own CPAP machine and neglecting a study may be just like putting duct tape on the problem. Might as well let the professionals help you!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's a lot of money, but this isn't deciding if you should get the cheaper or more expensive wiper blades for your car. The study may tell you more than just if you need the machine or not. If you think they doctor who is suggesting that you get the study is wrong, then maybe start with getting a second opinion.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
It's gonna cost over $1,500 to get the over night sleep study performed to determine whether or not I will need a $200 CPAP machine. Would it be safe to just invest in a cheaper cpap and try it out on a low setting? And if it doesn't do anything, just sell it? The machine itself I've found online for only a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks
I wouldn't buy one without an RX. Then you're left trying to guess your pressure, not something you want to try and do.

Get the study done, you may learn some pretty crazy stuff. Such as you choke in your sleep, you wake up every X hours, these are all things that can be corrected. You're also required to have an RX to get any CPAP Mask that is worth your time. $1500 or potential life risk? I'd do the $1500.

wadepat2

Awards
If you decide to just buy your own. You can order an auto cpap on Amazon that records data and auto adjust pressure. Go on some cpap forums and download sleepyhead program. Then use the data and the auto range to get closer to the pressure you need. Not as close to good as sleep study but better than just getting a cpap and guessing. I bought a Phillips Resperonics 60 series with mask for around 500 new on Amazon.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
If you decide to just buy your own. You can order an auto cpap on Amazon that records data and auto adjust pressure. Go on some cpap forums and download sleepyhead program. Then use the data and the auto range to get closer to the pressure you need. Not as close to good as sleep study but better than just getting a cpap and guessing. I bought a Phillips Resperonics 60 series with mask for around 500 new on Amazon.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will give it a look

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Get insurance and get the study done
This. ALMOST every insurance will cover something on a CPAP and study done.

You could always get one of those little hand held ones off of Amazon