Protein before bed

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
Just wondering what the consensus is on this. I have read no food before bed to maximize GH release, eat cottage cheese before bed because it contains slow release casein protein, and whey protein to help build muscle.

What should a natural lifter or off cycle lifter be doing to maximize gains?

norm dobson

Awards
Cottage cheese or casein will actually help muscle repair throughout the night

Power11111

Power11111

Awards
Before bed I'd say just a casein shake cottage cheese is good to.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Eat if you still need more calories, don't if you don't.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing. You'll get better sleep without a full stomach. In for more 90's bro-science answers though! Lmao!
if you've met your caloric and macro nutrient requirements during the day then sleep without eating before bed. If you haven't then correct that problem. In for the hardcore set your alarm to wake up at night to down protein shakes (and the forthcoming product pimp) protocol.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you've met your caloric and macro nutrient requirements during the day then sleep without eating before bed. If you haven't then correct that problem. In for the hardcore bad ass that sets his alarm to wake up at night to down protein shakes.
If you're not eating protein every hour bro you're not gonna grow. You have to make sure it's a slow digesting protein, otherwise you'll go catabolic, duh.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I have protein and fiber before bed. Main reason is that if I don't, I'll wake up to pee and be starving and not be able to sleep.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have protein and fiber before bed. Main reason is that if I don't, I'll wake up to pee and be starving and not be able to sleep.
...you wake up to pee because you have liquids before you go to sleep...

Stop the shakes and you'll stop waking up to pee.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hook up an IV to a big bad of protein shake so you don't miss a beat through the night...jk. Eat protein in whatever version you prefer before bed if you need the calories or protein. Otherwise, you're fine.

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
I have been studying a lot of Rich Piana's body confusing stuff, I was thinking maybe I could slam like 5oz of my piss before bed like 6days a week and then pow chug 9oz of my wife's piss on the 7th.

From a nutritional standpoint, if I hit my calories for the day but still under on protein because I screwed my macros, would I be better going over to get the protein. Or should I just move on and try to hit my protein goal the following day?

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
Everybody pointed out the obvious with my question and some in a comical manor. I was just joking around back it wasn't my intention to piss everyone off lol.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Nothing. You'll get better sleep without a full stomach. In for more 90's bro-science answers though! Lmao!
dont forget having to get up to take a leak in the middle of the night

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wasn't that the paper that had the protein before bed group getting more protein overall which might be why there was a difference rather than just timing?
If I recall correctly, it was that they didn't match protein intake between groups and not so much that one definitely got more than the other, but I could be wrong. Been a while since I looked it at. \

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope, I was wrong. The experimental group got a whopping 28g more protein BUT both groups kcal intake were roughly the same and the control group had adequate protein intake.. yet the experimental group doubled CSA and increased strength. Just from an extra 28g and completely nothing to do with timing at all.. cuz thats just bro and stupid

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
That was a good read, interesting no one is mentioning the effects of the body releasing GH I would think that would be the main goal of a person trying to maximize benefits.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That was a good read, interesting no one is mentioning the effects of the body releasing GH I would think that would be the main goal of a person trying to maximize benefits.
Is there data showing that protein before bed has a big enough effect to make a difference in healthy individuals?

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
Is there data showing that protein before bed has a big enough effect to make a difference in healthy individuals?
That is a great question that I hope we see answered.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Define and or quantify difference?

Again - if I already meet my target then why the need for bedtime. The premise of catabolism is absurd unless you are in a severe coloric deficit.

Some look at calories and macronutrients over a weeks time rather daily and hardly hourly.

Suppose I need 300g of protein a day over 7 days for 2100g a week. Does it really matter if I spread it equally, front load, back load or balance?

Same stands true for calories?

Is it really in the minutia?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
...you wake up to pee because you have liquids before you go to sleep...

Stop the shakes and you'll stop waking up to pee.
Not really. There's maybe 1/2 cup of liquid in this concoction. It's not a shake. I'm just a light sleeper

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Define and or quantify difference?

Again - if I already meet my target then why the need for bedtime. The premise of catabolism is absurd unless you are in a severe coloric deficit.

Some look at calories and macronutrients over a weeks time rather daily and hardly hourly.

Suppose I need 300g of protein a day over 7 days for 2100g a week. Does it really matter if I spread it equally, front load, back load or balance?

Same stands true for calories?

Is it really in the minutia?
It's crazy to think you need to get extra protein before bed or your muscles with catabolise. If that was true everyone that doesn't believe this would look like they are going through chemo and eventually drop dead.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's crazy to think you need to get extra protein before bed or your muscles with catabolise. If that was true everyone that doesn't believe this would look like they are going through chemo and eventually drop dead.
First World Problem!

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
Now that is going extreme in the opposite direction. Nobody is saying that protein before bed is going to be the difference between winning and losing a meet or competition.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wondering what the consensus is on this. I have read no food before bed to maximize GH release, eat cottage cheese before bed because it contains slow release casein protein, and whey protein to help build muscle.

What should a natural lifter or off cycle lifter be doing to maximize gains?
Nobody is saying that protein before bed is going to be the difference between winning and losing a meet or competition.
We are building muscle to either get stronger or bigger or both. If it makes a difference (which is debatable) then it can be the difference between winning and losing in either or both.

I'm confused.

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
We are building muscle to either get stronger or bigger or both. If it makes a difference (which is debatable) then it can be the difference between winning and losing in either or both.

I'm confused.
Maybe I'm just too pessimistic

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis

Abstract
Protein timing is a popular dietary strategy designed to optimize the adaptive response to exercise. The strategy involves consuming protein in and around a training session in an effort to facilitate muscular repair and remodeling, and thereby enhance post-exercise strength- and hypertrophy-related adaptations. Despite the apparent biological plausibility of the strategy, however, the effectiveness of protein timing in chronic training studies has been decidedly mixed. The purpose of this paper therefore was to conduct a multi-level meta-regression of randomized controlled trials to determine whether protein timing is a viable strategy for enhancing post-exercise muscular adaptations. The strength analysis comprised 478 subjects and 96 ESs, nested within 41 treatment or control groups and 20 studies. The hypertrophy analysis comprised 525 subjects and 132 ESs, nested with 47 treatment or control groups and 23 studies. A simple pooled analysis of protein timing without controlling for covariates showed a small to moderate effect on muscle hypertrophy with no significant effect found on muscle strength. In the full meta-regression model controlling for all covariates, however, no significant differences were found between treatment and control for strength or hypertrophy. The reduced model was not significantly different from the full model for either strength or hypertrophy. With respect to hypertrophy, total protein intake was the strongest predictor of ES magnitude. These results refute the commonly held belief that the timing of protein intake in and around a training session is critical to muscular adaptations and indicate that consuming adequate protein in combination with resistance exercise is the key factor for maximizing muscle protein accretion.

Background
Protein timing is a popular dietary strategy designed to optimize the adaptive response to exercise [1]. The strategy involves consuming protein in and around a training session in an effort to facilitate muscular repair and remodeling, and thereby enhance post-exercise strength- and hypertrophy-related adaptations [2]. It is generally accepted that protein should be consumed just before and/or immediately following a training session to take maximum advantage of a limited anabolic window [3]. Proponents of the strategy claim that, when properly executed, precise intake of protein in the peri-workout period can augment increases in fat-free mass [4]. Some researchers have even put forth the notion that the timing of food intake may have a greater positive effect on body composition than absolute daily nutrient consumption [5].

A number of studies support the superiority of protein timing for stimulating increases in acute protein synthesis pursuant to resistance training when compared to placebo [6–9]. Protein is deemed to be the critical nutrient required for optimizing post-exercise protein synthesis. The essential amino acids, in particular, are believed primarily responsible for enhancing this response, with little to no contribution seen from provision of non-essential amino acids [10, 11]. Borsheim et al. [10] found that a 6 g dose of essential amino acids (EAAs) consumed immediately post-exercise produced an approximate twofold increase in net protein balance compared to a comparable dose containing an approximately equal mixture of essential and non-essential amino acids, indicating a dose–response relationship up to 6 g EAAs. However, increasing EAA intake beyond this amount has not been shown to significantly heighten post-exercise protein synthesis [2]. There is limited evidence that carbohydrate has an additive effect on enhancing post-exercise muscle protein synthesis when combined with amino acid ingestion [12], with a majority of studies failing to demonstrate any such benefit [13–15].

Despite the apparent biological plausibility of the strategy, the effectiveness of protein timing in chronic training studies has been decidedly mixed. While some studies have shown that consumption of protein in the peri-workout period promotes increases in muscle strength and/or hypertrophy [16–19], others have not [20–22]. In a review of literature, Aragon and Schoenfeld [23] concluded that there is a lack of evidence to support a narrow “anabolic window of opportunity” whereby protein need to be consumed in immediate proximity to the exercise bout to maximize muscular adaptations. However, these conclusions were at least in part a reflection of methodological issues in the current research. One issue in particular is that studies to date have employed small sample sizes. Thus, it is possible that null findings may be attributable to these studies being underpowered, resulting in a type II error. In addition, various confounders including the amount of EAA supplementation, matching of protein intake, training status, and variations in age and gender between studies make it difficult to draw definitive conclusions on the topic. Thus, by increasing statistical power and controlling for confounding variables, a meta-analysis may help to provide clarity as to whether protein timing confers potential benefits in post-exercise skeletal muscle adaptations.

A recent meta-analysis by Cermak et al. [24] found that protein supplementation, when combined with regimented resistance training, enhances gains in strength and muscle mass in both young and elderly adults. However, this analysis did not specifically investigate protein timing per se. Rather, inclusion criteria encompassed all resistance training studies in which at least one group consumed a protein supplement or modified higher protein diet. The purpose of this paper therefore is to conduct a meta-analysis to determine whether timing protein near the resistance training bout is a viable strategy for enhancing muscular adaptations.

Practical applications
In conclusion, current evidence does not appear to support the claim that immediate (≤ 1 hour) consumption of protein pre- and/or post-workout significantly enhances strength- or hypertrophic-related adaptations to resistance exercise. The results of this meta-analysis indicate that if a peri-workout anabolic window of opportunity does in fact exist, the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session. Any positive effects noted in timing studies were found to be due to an increased protein intake rather than the temporal aspects of consumption, but a lack of matched studies makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions in this regard. The fact that protein consumption in non-supplemented subjects was below generally recommended intake for those involved in resistance training lends credence to this finding. Since causality cannot be directly drawn from our analysis, however, we must acknowledge the possibility that protein timing was in fact responsible for producing a positive effect and that the associated increase in protein intake is merely coincidental. Future research should seek to control for protein intake so that the true value regarding nutrient timing can be properly evaluated. Particular focus should be placed on carrying out these studies with well-trained subjects to better determine whether resistance training experience plays a role in the response.

http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-53

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Done-