Recalculate calories after grilling fatty meat?

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
So I have some really fatty burgers but I grill them and I know a lot of fat comes out of them. Do y'all have a rule of thumb for this like could I subtract like 10% fat off the top to account for the reduction in fat after cooking? What do y'all do about this?

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
I guess I could do a before and after weight and assume most of the weight lost in the meat was fat and subtract that from the pre-cooked figures. I know some is water but I think it is mostly fat. Any other ideas?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
IMO, if you're cutting, you take the absolute max cals (ie. what it says pre-cooked) and if bulking, subtract something (like the 10% you suggested). If you're not doing either, I wouldn't even worry about it and just take it at label value.

There's really no way to actually get an exact figure, and you have to understand that the label numbers are at best estimates anyways based on an average size/portion.

GamutofFear

Awards
So I have some really fatty burgers but I grill them and I know a lot of fat comes out of them. Do y'all have a rule of thumb for this like could I subtract like 10% fat off the top to account for the reduction in fat after cooking? What do y'all do about this?
Look up calories on the cut of beef. Aka

If it looks to be 80% lean,20 fat ect.

I would weigh it raw and calculate that way.

In the grand scheme of things, as long as you're consistent, it shouldn't matter that much.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
After I got to thinking about it, it's probably not a big deal. Let's say that subtracting 10% fat is accurate after cooking the meat. Even if the meat had 40g fat to start with, at 10%, that's still only 4g fat that has been lost from the meat. Or about 36 calories. That's not even enough for me to care about anyway. Even if it was 20-30% it still wouldn't be enough for me to care about anyway. But, if I do get that picky in the future I'll know what to do. Peace all.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've read a few places that if you cook fatty beef, drain it, and pat it dry it can be the equivalent of 95/5, but you lose ~20% of the weight if that makes sense. Not sure on how accurate though

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would be more worried about how much protein I am getting than cals or fat ha.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
Normally I wouldn't be worried but this meat I have is VERY fatty. It's Omaha steaks meat and I'll tell you what, it's the best freakin meat you'll ever taste I guarantee it. Just as an example I was eating 6oz filet Mignon burger and it's 500 calories with 43g fat per patty. Good stuff.

GamutofFear

Awards
Normally I wouldn't be worried but this meat I have is VERY fatty. It's Omaha steaks meat and I'll tell you what, it's the best freakin meat you'll ever taste I guarantee it. Just as an example I was eating 6oz filet Mignon burger and it's 500 calories with 43g fat per patty. Good stuff.
I'm a big fan of fats. I swear I could down a gallon container of meat.

I'll have to look and see where I can get some. You got a brand I can look up

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
I'm a big fan of fats. I swear I could down a gallon container of meat.

I'll have to look and see where I can get some. You got a brand I can look up
It's Omaha Steaks brand. Not cheap but delicious.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
You won't be disappointed. Get the filet Mignon burgers and some boneless New York strip steaks and when you're done eating them you can send me a thank you card lol.