Protein intake just from whey

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I want to try for a while to replace the meat with just whey proteins..
I want to see if I'll notice any difference..

Does anyone ever tried it? Opinions?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What difference do you think you'll notice? Honestly, it doesn't sound smart. Yes, looking at the bigger picture you should hit your protein goals, but it should be done from various sources to get different vitamins, minerals, aminos, etc. The only difference I would probably notice is an increase in hunger. Powder does not fill me up.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Whey protein powder will never replace whole food sources of protein.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

I've done it in very short spurts as part of a peak week or last leaning/drying out phase.

Honestly, it's not a great long term solution as there a lot of other things you get from whole foods taht you cant from powders, but in the short term, no harm.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can look at peoples log with the velocity diet as that is pretty much JUST whey

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I'm not saying I'm gonna eat just powder. I'm still eating other foods, just replacing meat with it.. I'll try for a week or 2.
I'm at 3000kcal and my protein intake it's about 175g.
Still taking multi, fish oil and other goodies

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not saying I'm gonna eat just powder. I'm still eating other foods, just replacing meat with it.. I'll try for a week or 2.
I'm at 3000kcal and my protein intake it's about 175g.
Still taking multi, fish oil and other goodies
We understand you're just going to replace meat with powder. It still stands that you will be missing out on the benefits of whole food even if you are taking a multi, fish oil and other goodies.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Doesn't sound like a great idea, but I'm curious to see how it turns out for you.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Likely to cause bowel issues... You will be spending quite a while on that toilet. I've done this before, I noticed no physique differences. Others may have had more luck with their bowels.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Likely to cause bowel issues... You will be spending quite a while on that toilet. I've done this before, I noticed no physique differences. Others may have had more luck with their bowels.
Ya that will really depend on the person. I've done it as well and had zero issues. Just peed a lot (which is normal for me anyway as ha).

It totally depends on the persons level of tolerance or intolerance to whatever blend of protein they choose to sub in

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Ya that will really depend on the person. I've done it as well and had zero issues. Just peed a lot (which is normal for me anyway as ha).

It totally depends on the persons level of tolerance or intolerance to whatever blend of protein they choose to sub in
Yeah I agree. Like you mentioned though, peeing definitely increased.

Also I was hungrier too, I'm always hungry but it was for sure 10x worse.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah I agree. Like you mentioned though, peeing definitely increased.

Also I was hungrier too, I'm always hungry but it was for sure 10x worse.
I thought the hunger was gonna be a huge problem for me too as I'm also hungry all the time but I just added a ton of water to each shake and that helped a lot. Overall I didn't mind it at all for a short term.

Danus

Danus

Awards
Have only done it for 2 days in a row due to the fact I literally could not cook meat, eggs or buy any dairy at the time.
Didn't do anything special besides sharting liquid for the 2nd day and 1 more after.
Biggest issue I see would be a lack of potassium. If you not eating potatoes, spinach, carrots etc you won't be getting anywhere near enough.

alphanik

alphanik

Awards
I listened to a podcast where John Hansen said for years he took in 90% of his protein intake from whey and believed in the long run his physique did not suffer from it..

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Well it's been more than a week and I hadn't experienced any issue so far