Early morning workouts and nutrition

Coastie

Awards
I am going to have to start staying late at work for the next two weeks so I will have to start working out early before work. What do you guys do in the morning as far as nutrition goes? Do you wake up extra early and eat breakfast before you hit the gym or do you just take your preworkout and eat when you get back?

Thanks!

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Honestly I think it depends on your goals. If you're trying to loose weight then I would wake up and pound about 20oz or more of water with some BCAAs mixed in for obvious reasons but mostly because they help with muscle sparing when training on an empty stomach. Don't forget your metabolism is at its highest when you're asleep and continues when you first get up. Follow up the water with a PWO and out the door you go.

Alternatively if you goal is to add weight or get stronger then I would have some fuel in my body. There's a couple ways you could do this and make it quick and easy. You could get some protein powder you like and mix it in some Gatorade or other sports drink that has some carbs/sugars in it. Maybe even throw in those BCAAs again and shoot it back. Though I suppose a high protein bar will probably have a similar affect just not as quickly. Like Oh Yeah! or Supreme bar. Been liking the Muscle Sandwiches lately too.

If you want more of a traditional breakfast than I recommend a couple raw eggs blended in some honey and water. Boom - protein and carbs. Regardless of which direction you go just make sure you're drinking some water before hand.

Afterwards I usually just pop a protein shake and follow up with a default meal. If you're on the go then just make some oats the night before and add more protein powder to that or get some tortillas and make a quick batch of scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito. You could also just hit up McDs...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would go with something easily digestible. Something like some Greek yogurt with fruit would be good

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would personally train fasted. I would just consume my pre workout and some BCAAs before going to the gym. I'd much rather get that extra sleep than have a meal. It is all personal preference though. You could have something like a protein shake, fruit or even just a rice cake or two if that doesn't upset your stomach. It is all personal preference. I wouldn't be able to eat only because I feel sluggish no matter what it is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would personally train fasted. I would just consume my pre workout and some BCAAs before going to the gym. I'd much rather get that extra sleep than have a meal. It is all personal preference though. You could have something like a protein shake, fruit or even just a rice cake or two if that doesn't upset your stomach. It is all personal preference. I wouldn't be able to eat only because I feel sluggish no matter what it is.
This.

I get up at 0300-0315, drink coffee, then slam pwo and go. Intra I have some powdered Gatorade with aminos.

I've tried the eating in the morning but I feel like I'm forcing it and not really all that hungry yet. It won't hurt to eat afterwards.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
I like to get up, have my pwo straight away. Mix my bcaa's and drink them while I train. As soon as I finish training I down my protein shake and about an hour after that I have a meal. I like it, but I am used to it now. When I first started training fasted I had no energy, but after a week it was all good and I guess my body adapted to training fasted.

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on what your body is used to. If you are used to training on a near empty stomach then train fasted. However, if you aren't used to training fasted it can take your body a good week or two to get used to it in my experience. I love training fasted when cutting and my body adjusts to it around the second week of cutting.

When I'm bulking I just make a pre workout shake that has 1 scoop of cytosport (20g carbs), half scoop of protein, my pre workout, ALCAR, and creatine. I drink that right before I leave my house (about 30-40 minutes) pre workout. I then drink a half scoop of cytosport (10-15g of carbs) and my BCAA's during my workout. Post workout I drink a scoop of protein and then change for work and eat my breakfast as my next meal. If you can train fasted without feeling like crap then do it. However, if you need something on your stomach I recommend giving this a shot. I love it, super easy to digest and effective. You can also use other good powdered carb sources like Karbolic, Carb 10, and others instead of cytosport.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been working out in the AM for probably 20 years I get up at 4am drink my Pre-Workout and train fasted at 4:30, It is what works for me.

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Honestly I think it depends on your goals. If you're trying to loose weight then I would wake up and pound about 20oz or more of water with some BCAAs mixed in for obvious reasons but mostly because they help with muscle sparing when training on an empty stomach. Don't forget your metabolism is at its highest when you're asleep and continues when you first get up. Follow up the water with a PWO and out the door you go.

Alternatively if you goal is to add weight or get stronger then I would have some fuel in my body. There's a couple ways you could do this and make it quick and easy. You could get some protein powder you like and mix it in some Gatorade or other sports drink that has some carbs/sugars in it. Maybe even throw in those BCAAs again and shoot it back. Though I suppose a high protein bar will probably have a similar affect just not as quickly. Like Oh Yeah! or Supreme bar. Been liking the Muscle Sandwiches lately too.

If you want more of a traditional breakfast than I recommend a couple raw eggs blended in some honey and water. Boom - protein and carbs. Regardless of which direction you go just make sure you're drinking some water before hand.

Afterwards I usually just pop a protein shake and follow up with a default meal. If you're on the go then just make some oats the night before and add more protein powder to that or get some tortillas and make a quick batch of scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito. You could also just hit up McDs...
Wtf!!!!!
Face palm on half of this post

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I just try to eat a small protein bar or banana depending which I have on hand. Just get your macro's in later

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Wtf!!!!!
Face palm on half of this post
Oh you don't like my morning routine, eh? I was being sarcastic bout the fast food but what's your beef with the rest?

I've trained fasted and having bout a liter of water in me mixed with some BCAAs helped but as I'm focusing more on strength the last couple years I realize that I need some fuel in me when I train to optimize my performance. I've used carb powders and the like but I find something like Gatorade mixed with a protein that doesn't taste like **** (orange Gatorade and vanilla protein for example) works very well. I'm not about spending money on supps just to say I use something. Even a box of bars helps depending on your goals.

If you don't like the raw eggs then yeah I get that. Probably gonna get food poisoning some time. But for now it working for me. I don't recommend raw eggs for anyone. Just being a smartass.

Xtremestrngth

Awards
Hey buddy, I train both in the morning and at night. It all really comes down to your overall goal. Since my AM workout is no more than 45 minutes, I usually train fasted while intaking a aminos during my workout to prevent any muscle break down. But then again I am cutting, if your adding mass I would recommend having a liquid breakfast. Get your protein/carbs/fats in a liquid meal. Faster for digestion and delivers quick energy. Protect those gainz if your adding mass or if your planning on working out for more than an hour. Remember your body needs to grab an energy source to keep going. Avoid breaking down muscle.

KetoSpartan

Awards
I train mornings and lately I haven't been using a pre workout or anything.
Gym at 3:15AM, warm up/foam roll and hit the weights for around an hour then 30-40 minutes of cardio.

Have breakfast around 5-530AM.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I workout at 6am I usually just grab a banana before and that's it besides pwo drink. Have a protein smoothie right after and breakfast within the hour. If i workout at ten am I stick with the banana and add some oatmeal before. I don't like working out with much food in the belly

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my preference:

4:30am - alarm goes off
immediately eat carb source, protein and large shaker of water with PWO to hydrate and stim
example of breakfast, grits or oats with a couple eggs.
5:30am - lift like animal
6:30am - post workout meal of CHO and PRO

rest of day: diminishing carbs in meals.

that's my 2 cents. I personally prefer to NOT lift fasted. It makes me feel flatter, drained, and as if the energy is coming from the wrong sources. however, as Vector pointed out, if you do prefer to train fasted, then pound your BCAA's while you're doing it. I really like modern BCAA+, personally.

mrgoomba

Awards
I always eat at 430 and in the gym at 5. Preworkout I do half cup of oats, protein powder, and a banana.

Post workout in car on way home I do a protein shake and another banana. Then about an hour later before I head to the office, I do my full breakfast of 3 eggs and 2 slices of toast. Roughly 1k Cals before 7:15am.

paula

paula

Awards
As an early mrning. I will have my protein shake then after an hour. Il take some prewrkout.