Vitamin D and the "pump"

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I had a quick question for those that may be versed in Vitamin D and its effects on our renal and endocrine system. I had a diagnosed deficiency a few months back. I immediately started on a relatively high dose 5,000-6,000 IU/day. Within a day or 2, I noticed that I was getting INCREDIBLE pumps in the gym. Too significant to not attribute it to the vitamin D. Better vascularity overall, improved aggression in the gym, etc. Pumps I hadn't been able to get in years.. Now I know Vit D positively affects eNOS, as well as inhibits aldosterone secretion (favoring water balance). I'd certainly observed this within the first few days of supplementing. But it lasted only for a short time and now I've been unable to get that skin-splitting pump I used to. Really at all. Arms day I can't seem to get things going. It's strange. I know this is a blood volume issue and I'mconsidering perhaps a deficiency in one of the ions in the blood. I'm certainly no nephrologist but I've been searching for the culprit here.
I also read an article (albeit an old one) that claims that hypervitaminosis D can induce hypercalcemia, which the body will then excrete copious amount of potassium independent of sodium intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC291035/pdf/jcinvest00315-0040.pdf

I started adding more potassium back into my diet (NoSalt) and attempting to keep Sodium around 3 g/day.
I also take Magnesium (400 mg/day).

I'd love to get some feedback on this. We all love the PUMP haha. Thanks

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Couple of questions: what form of D are you taking? Have you been diagnosed with CKD?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Couple of questions: what form of D are you taking? Have you been diagnosed with CKD?
D3, and no diagnosis of CKD. Although I'll admit I've been considering the possibility of some kidney dysfunction. It's only logical.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, I'd recommend having your GP run a basic creatinine / BUN panel to assess your eGFR.

Electrolyte balance is tricky business. Couple of thoughts. If you where low on D then it is possible that serum Ca was low due to poor absorption. If/when this happens your parathyroid will sense the low Ca and ramp up PTH that stimulates osteoclasts that in turn releases Ca from bone. Once you started taking D3 you'd absorb more Ca from you diet. PTH levels will not immediately return to normal so it is conceivable that for a brief period, you had more serum Ca and thus felt a "pump" until PTH normalized and serum Ca normalized.

Mind you, pure speculation here. And not advocating taking more Ca. That can have other consequences...

An additional thought: I would highly recommend vitamin K2 (Mk4 or Mk7 or both) when taking D. Lots a good stuff here on AM about it.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
IMO, I'd recommend having your GP run a basic creatinine / BUN panel to assess your eGFR.

Electrolyte balance is tricky business. Couple of thoughts. If you where low on D then it is possible that serum Ca was low due to poor absorption. If/when this happens your parathyroid will sense the low Ca and ramp up PTH that stimulates osteoclasts that in turn releases Ca from bone. Once you started taking D3 you'd absorb more Ca from you diet. PTH levels will not immediately return to normal so it is conceivable that for a brief period, you had more serum Ca and thus felt a "pump" until PTH normalized and serum Ca normalized.

Mind you, pure speculation here. And not advocating taking more Ca. That can have other consequences...

An additional thought: I would highly recommend vitamin K2 (Mk4 or Mk7 or both) when taking D. Lots a good stuff here on AM about it.
I may have some relatively recent panels I can refer to for the creatinine/BUN. I do know that in the past I've typically had elevated creatinine due to my creatine supplementation. And yes I agree our body's fluid dynamics is very complex.

Thanks for the advice!

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are quite correct on creatine skewing results. If possible within your training protocol to take an adequate break and thus a "wash out" period that may be advisable. I am not aware of any accurate method of scientifically recalculating eGFR to account for creatine use.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Do any other members on here care to chime in? Already received some good info. Thanks in advance.