Meal timing doesn't matter... or does it?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Calorie Shifting Diet Versus Calorie Restriction Diet: A Comparative Clinical Trial Study

Researchers took 74 subjects and randomized them to into groups. The subject all had 4 weeks of a normal diet and then one group got 6 weeks CSD (Calorie Shifting Diet) and the other group got 6 weeks CRD (Calorie Restricting Diet), and then a 4 week follow-up for both groups

The CRD group had a total of 55% calorie reduction and the CSD group had only 45% calorie reduction. The popular myopic "calories in v calories out" outlook would lead you to guess the -55% would result in greater weight loss then -45%, and nothing else, such as meal timing would matter. Well lets see what they found

As you can see, despite eating more food, the CSD group actually lost more weight AND was able to keep that weight off.

So what does this have to do with timing. From the paper

CSD subjects were instructed to eat only at four set of meals per day and avoid any other intake at 4 h intervals between these meals. The time for each of these meals was optional and they let free to consume in any hour, but the time interval between meals should not been less than 4 h
so basically, they were forced to separate and spread their meals throughout the day. On top of this, the CSD group also got "refeed" days

diet was ordered for 11 consecutive days after which 3 days of self-selecting calorie and diet was started. The 11-3 days phases were repeated for three times (for 42 days)
So their were monitoring and restricting what they ate for 11 days and then for 3 days they ate whatever they wanted, as much as they wanted. Meanwhile the CRD group maintained a standard low calorie diet throughout the entire study.

But its all about the calories, right?

Not quite. Perhaps spacing meals out and also including calorie loading days after calorie restriction days, might be beneficial for dropping fat and keeping it off!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Great share sir

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In......

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. So the CSD group essentially calorie cycled? Different caloric intake depending on the day?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wonder how this would work like two days 500-800 deficit then one day like 1500-2000 surplus, repeat

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wonder how this would work like two days 500-800 deficit then one day like 1500-2000 surplus, repeat
Personally, I carb/calorie cycle. I follow the link below, but a modified version to my liking. Anyways, I have noticed that I do stay leaner, in before you're 150 pounds, when I am trying to put weight on. It seems like fat is more difficult to gain in this fashion, for me anyways. I once was a fat kid too. Could it be due being at a small surplus versus a large one, of course. However, maybe it is due to the calorie shifting. The weeks may change if I need to add calories for the whole week. Currently, my days are outlined below:

Sunday - low carb 2,300 cals
Monday - high carb 2,775 cals
Tuesday - mod carb 2,525 cals
Wednesday - low carb 2,300 cals
Thursday - high carb 2,775 cals
Friday - mod carb 2,525 cals
Saturday - low carb 2,300 cals

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex