Coconut Oil, and how to take it.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Just recently started taking a couple tablespoons of this per day. How beneficial is coconut oil taken orally with a spoon? Or do you guys recommend only cooking with it?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just recently started taking a couple tablespoons of thttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5136594his per day. How beneficial is coconut oil taken orally with a spoon? Or do you guys recommend only cooking with it?
I just cook with it. Once in a blue moon, if I'm lacking in my fat macros for the day, I will just have x amount, usually a very small amount, via spoon.

You can also use it as a butter substitute. I hav done that with baking before, but it seemed to make my muffins greasy. I could have used too much.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I usually just cook with it. Have never eaten it raw. I do use it as a deep conditioner on my hair, though, haha :)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I don't even use butter in my cooking. Looks like I wasted money on this stuff.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I usually just cook with it and use it as a moisturizer for skin and hair...I have however taken a teaspoon right before otherwise fasted training.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I cook with it and also sometimes take a couple teaspoons/tablespoons before training or with a shake when on a TKD or CKD. It's tasty raw.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
What are the benefits of Coconut oil if you take it before fasted training?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I like to cook with it OR put it on top of my chicken and warm up my food with it.

Coconut oil and jasmine rice!!!! FTW

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate using coconut oil. I feel like the smell over powers my food.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Why not just use Extra Virgin pure olive oil? Its healthy fats. Why the need for coconut oil? Is there really any need if you use Olive oil in your cooking?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why not just use Extra Virgin pure olive oil? Its healthy fats. Why the need for coconut oil? Is there really any need if you use Olive oil in your cooking?
Coconut oil is made mostly of MCT's, burns similarly to carbs too. Lauric acid is also a plus. I believe coconut oil also has a more favorable impact on HDL, but EVO is good for this too.

Olive oil tends to burn when used for cooking

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Personally I don't like the use of coconut oil in diet on a regular basis. Assuming you're interested in it due to the healthy mct fats that its soley marketed at having. Look at the legitimate breakdown of the fat profile of coconut oil and you'll see that the mct fats only make up of a mere portion of the fats you're actually consuming, other sources being the "unhealthy" fats that i'm sure you were trying to stray from to begin with. If you're looking for an mct fat I suggest just using a pure mct oil product, but my #1 when it comes to fat is just keep it basic, throw a tablespoon of olive oil or macadamia nuts oil in your meal, awesome supply of healthy fats, its cheap, and keeps your meals tasting good. Ultimately this is all my opinion and what I suggest but I just wouldn't fall into the trap of the mismarketing of coconut oil. Just as people fall into the mismarketing that bcaa's will legitimately help them burn fat lol
Good luck with your progress

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Personally I don't like the use of coconut oil in diet on a regular basis. Assuming you're interested in it due to the healthy mct fats that its soley marketed at having. Look at the legitimate breakdown of the fat profile of coconut oil and you'll see that the mct fats only make up of a mere portion of the fats you're actually consuming, other sources being the "unhealthy" fats that i'm sure you were trying to stray from to begin with. If you're looking for an mct fat I suggest just using a pure mct oil product, but my #1 when it comes to fat is just keep it basic, throw a tablespoon of olive oil or macadamia nuts oil in your meal, awesome supply of healthy fats, its cheap, and keeps your meals tasting good. Ultimately this is all my opinion and what I suggest but I just wouldn't fall into the trap of the mismarketing of coconut oil. Just as people fall into the mismarketing that bcaa's will legitimately help them burn fat lol
Good luck with your progress
Thank you for the response and a well thought out educated one at that. I hope you are having a good day today.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The saturated fat in coconut oil is not unhealthy, quite the opposite. Not all saturated fats are equal or bad at all. It's also mainly the Lauric acid in coconut oil that's responsible for most of it's health benefits. There is a lot of hype around coconut oil, but it's not 'mismarketed'... just overly hyped. It's not a miracle product, but it does have many more health benefits over other types of oils, and this is fact.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
You are correct on the lauric acid, I'm not going to deny that coconut oil does have some very positive benefits. But its basically non existent with the poly and mono unsaturated which to me in my opinion is just a better fat, I have more energy I feel better with these types of fats. I did use coconut oil for a solid year + straight and to be honest I gained fat weight with keeping my carbs withing a "give or take" of 25g year round and just didn't feel overall as good. Could I be that 1% of people? Absolutely, we all tolerate foods differently. But I'm just stating from previous experience with extended use of both types of these fats, myself and all clients have gotten optimal results with the olive oil/macadamia nut oil options. Not to mention bodybuilding isn't a cheap lifestyle, and you save a hell of a lot of money with olive oil

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Coconut oil is way too expensive, that's for sure!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I put a Tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning, help me maintain my blood glucose levels!

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Coconut oil - anti-bacterial so good for the gut. MCT so great for the brain. Saturated fat so good for cell wall integrity & liver function. In fact it's brilliant for dementia sufferers, although let's hope none of us have to find that out first hand. I also like macadamia oil to cook with, olive oil for cooking & dressing salads.

You haven't wasted your money at all, take it raw, cook a little chicken with it, even add to a protein shake. Dry skin, slap it on, irritated skin try the same.

Now if you'd said you bought a heap of Canola oil...that would be a different story!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bulletproof coffee is something I've never tried. Butter + coconut oil does sound tasty in coffee though

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I've tried it, it is pretty tasty and oddly does give you a little pep, I'll even cool the coffee down a bit then throw a scoop of isolate in it as 'creamer' at that the fats slow down digestion of the protein if you're on the run in the morning before getting a meal

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bulletproof coffee is something I've never tried. Butter + coconut oil does sound tasty in coffee though
I don't do the butter. And I don't make the bulletproof coffee as it says to, adding the MCT oil to the coffee and brewing it with it. I just throw a couple teaspoons in with cream and stir. It's pretty amazing.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't do the butter. And I don't make the bulletproof coffee as it says to, adding the MCT oil to the coffee and brewing it with it. I just throw a couple teaspoons in with cream and stir. It's pretty amazing.
I use vanilla muscle milk in my coffee (I use a really tall mug) and mix it about half and half with french roast made in a french press. I haven't been able to kick this habit, but it's a pretty good one

anab0lix

anab0lix

Awards
  • Established
Eat a spoon full of it or mix it in a shake or cook with it

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Best benefits I found for it is for skin and hair. I hear to many conflicting stories about it being the highest in unsaturated fats to use it for consumption. I used to use it all the time in my shakes prior

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Best benefits I found for it is for skin and hair. I hear to many conflicting stories about it being the highest in unsaturated fats to use it for consumption. I used to use it all the time in my shakes prior
Massage oil, excellent for that ;-)

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Will bring it to my favorite rub and tug place
So that's why you gotta take a towel to the gym. Here I thought it was a sweat - hygiene thing :23:

Awards
I put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee....tastes good

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Supplements 31
Supplements 55
DemntedCowboy Nutrition / Health 1