Minimum Protein intake to maintain muscle and cut carbs will get you ripped.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
So Ive been thinking of switching up my diet for more definition at the same time maintaining as much muscle as possible that I have built over the last year and 8 months. My ideal physique is staying lean ( I am 6'5) but getting more cut. So I was thinking today, since this is my priority, I could cut back on the protein intake and carbs each day? While taking in enough protein to provide my body enough so it will keep most the muscle that I have right now, along with slowly adding some gradually. My main focus is cutting bodyfat in certain areas that are being stubborn.

Your thoughts on this? Will this work? I currently supplement with Amino IV and take Shift, Norco, and a scoop and a half of Alphamine pre workout.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What is your logic on cutting protein down during a cut? It should definitely be kept high.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
What is your logic on cutting protein down during a cut? It should definitely be kept high.
That is why I asked for your opinion on this. Not sure if cutting back a little protein per day was the right thing to do. Basically what I was talking about was taking in 1 gram of protein per bodyweight instead of 1.5. Currently I weigh 228 pounds.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Protein is the last macro you cut ...adjust carbs first...then fat if needed ...add cardio...and lastly adjust protein.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is why I asked for your opinion on this. Not sure if cutting back a little protein per day was the right thing to do. Basically what I was talking about was taking in 1 gram of protein per bodyweight instead of 1.5. Currently I weigh 228 pounds.
Ah I see. You can get away with 1g per lb of body weight. What are you looking to do with carbs? I've started a cut and I'm only having about 40grams of carbs sipped intra-workout. Maybe only 20-30g carbs spread through the rest of the day.

Most people can get away with 20grams of carbs intra-workout, but I've added in very intense cardio, which I usually do after lifting.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Ah I see. You can get away with 1g per lb of body weight. What are you looking to do with carbs? I've started a cut and I'm only having about 40grams of carbs sipped intra-workout. Maybe only 20-30g carbs spread through the rest of the day.

Most people can get away with 20grams of carbs intra-workout, but I've added in very intense cardio, which I usually do after lifting.
What kind of foods do you consume in each meal? As you know its hard to consume meals with very low carbs. Seems like every meal has atleast 15-20 grams of carbs on average even if you are really watching carbs. That means if I consume 5 meals per day, that is 100 grams atleast. If I don't do that then my deficit will be too great. What is your advice?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Can we get your current average daily macros?

The idea will be as slight a deficit as you are willing to run, with protein still at least 1g/lb IMO, to maintain muscle mass while cutting.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What kind of foods do you consume in each meal? As you know its hard to consume meals with very low carbs. Seems like every meal has atleast 15-20 grams of carbs on average even if you are really watching carbs. That means if I consume 5 meals per day, that is 100 grams atleast. If I don't do that then my deficit will be too great. What is your advice?

My low-carb meals (on my current diet) consist of things like this:

eggs
meat
salads with olive oil/vinegar, meat, eggs, certain non-starchy veggies
Quest bars
Protein shakes
Coconut oil / EVOO

Keeping things super simple always works for me

Here's a sample of my breakfast:

Steak
Handful or two of nuts
Water
Coffee with vanilla muscle milk as creamer

If I feel like getting crazy, I'll eat steak and eggs.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Can we get your current average daily macros?

The idea will be as slight a deficit as you are willing to run, with protein still at least 1g/lb IMO, to maintain muscle mass while cutting.
Total fat - 91 per day

Carbs - 343 per day

Protein- 250 per day.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Total fat - 91 per day

Carbs - 343 per day

Protein- 250 per day.
Drop carbs. Protein can easily drop to 200 if needed too you are eating plenty. Good starting point for your cut lots of room to play

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I keep protein pretty much constant regardless of goals.

Fats are what I cut first (prefer to keep carbs around for performance).

Then carbs.

Haven't had to ever cut out protein.

I also never cut for very long though. :eek:

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
One of the reasons why I love this stuff so much is that its a real science. It keeps things interesting and always a challenge to improve the body.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^forever ripped

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Total fat - 91 per day

Carbs - 343 per day

Protein- 250 per day.
Protein is fine if you weigh 220 at 250, you could lower it, but right now you have 300+ g of carbs, and 90+ g of fat a day. You have tons of room to drop carbs/fat first and foremost before you ever touch protein. Hell you could get away with 5-6 calorie cuts before you have to add any cardio and see some serious weightloss.

Take things slow and steady. Once your protein needs are met carbs/fats will be more protein sparing in the long run. I would just do small cuts of 10-15g of carbs and 5g fat or 25g of carbs at a time (week) when you stall. OR when you do not see change in the mirror. The scale is the least valuable tool use the mirror #1 then the scale. Cutting is like bulking. Slow and steady, Rome was not built overnight (Bulking), and cutting calories faster than needed is a recipe for disaster. Keep that metabolism burning.

badco19

Awards
Menno Henselmans suggests a lower all around protein intake, neighborhood of .82g/kg. Eric Helms, one of the guys at 3D Muscle Journey suggests higher intakes, as high as 3.1 but over 2g/kg. Menno was going to review Helms research and stance soon at Bayesian Bodybuilding. In the meantime, Dr Spencer Nadolsky, a 200+ pound client of Helms did a few videos and podcasts going into his experience getting stage ready under his tutelage.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
If I drop carbs the first thing I do is increase protein, then I mess around with my fat intake. I only cut protein if I feel I am having too much and am just bloated all the time.