Pre workout nutrition

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey guys,

Yes I am a CrossFit athlete and train in the early AM.

My training is very rigorous and a copy can be produced to show what I'm doing. It is regionals prep for next year.

I have been tinkering with different types of timing with foods and have previously trained in the evening because of more time but now that I need to train at 6.45am I need food for optimal performance but also still improve body composition.

I still am of the opinion that better performance of the long run will allow me to improve body comp so I'm not super worried on that part.

What can you guys suggest for pre workout nutrition for eating at say 5.30am or what do you guys suggest?

Thanks all

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your eating an hour before you should be able to get away with quite a few different options depending on what you tolerate.

My general suggestion:
While not really asking for supplement advice I'd note in your situation I'd usually down my pre-workout upon waking then 60 minutes out eat a whole food meal. 1-1.5g CHO per gram of protein (depending on training volume and how well you handle that much food in your gut during your workout). I love proats or eggs and toast, both with coffee usually (both digest well with me and don't upset my gut).

During I'd hit up some carbs and protein/EAAs (I like 2-3G CHO per g or protein/amino acids personally).

Proper post workout meal (based on personal preference, again probably higher carb levels here).

In situations like that nailing that down should make sure you are performing well.

As a bonus on real early training times I also like to put extra carbs in my final meal of the day, especially if I plan or don't think I'll want a lot to eat directly pre-training.

In general if the rest of your day has you hitting your goals you'll probably be fine, but I'd still say ideally small meal pre, plenty of during training nutrition, and something within a decent time post workout.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get up around 0315 and don't really have time to eat. I take in some intra carbs via Gatorde and BCAA's. I train in a powerlifting style, and it doesn't hinder my progress in the least. I think it's more important that you fit in your nutrition throughout the day as opposed to a certain number of minutes pre.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok. Thanks man. I was reading a Jsst article and found it interesting. I'll see if I can find it and link it

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
If your eating an hour before you should be able to get away with quite a few different options depending on what you tolerate.

My general suggestion:
While not really asking for supplement advice I'd note in your situation I'd usually down my pre-workout upon waking then 60 minutes out eat a whole food meal. 1-1.5g CHO per gram of protein (depending on training volume and how well you handle that much food in your gut during your workout). I love proats or eggs and toast, both with coffee usually (both digest well with me and don't upset my gut).

During I'd hit up some carbs and protein/EAAs (I like 2-3G CHO per g or protein/amino acids personally).

Proper post workout meal (based on personal preference, again probably higher carb levels here).

In situations like that nailing that down should make sure you are performing well.

As a bonus on real early training times I also like to put extra carbs in my final meal of the day, especially if I plan or don't think I'll want a lot to eat directly pre-training.

In general if the rest of your day has you hitting your goals you'll probably be fine, but I'd still say ideally small meal pre, plenty of during training nutrition, and something within a decent time post workout.
Thanks Sean!!! Great advice

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards

My general suggestion:

I agree with this as well, since you say you aren't able to get in a full meal before the gym a good pre workout and then also some bcaas or an intra would suffice.

I try to eat something along the lines of eggs/whites before the gym and if or not I am on a low carb phase either Ezekiel bread or jasmine rice as I feel those don't weigh me down as much when I eat some other things.