Water retention and potassium levels / supplemental potassium

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How much supplemental potassium is it safe to take per day when using it to balance/lower sodium and help remove water?

It's very difficult for me to figure this out because you also have to take dietary potassium into account.

Anyone take potassium pills for water retention?

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
How much potassium are you trying to get? The RDA? I find it very difficult to get the RDA of potassium with food. It's something like 4500 mg I believe

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How much potassium are you trying to get? The RDA? I find it very difficult to get the RDA of potassium with food. It's something like 4500 mg I believe
I've purchased potassium pills to help lose some water weight by causing sodium excretion, taking more than the RDA.

Problem is, elevated potassium levels can be bad for the heart (too high can actually cause death). But potassium pills definitely work. Just trying to find a balance.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Or just put lemon in your water....
Going to try this daily now, but going to boil the lemon along with the peel (sliced up).

I still want to supplement with potassium though, but maybe just a couple caps with meals. They're only 90mg caps.

I take hydrocortisone daily (for adrenals), just a very low dose; but I feel it makes me hold water in my face.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The lemon has always worked for "sodium" related water retention... And honestly if you are at work the true lemon packets are great for adding to water... It's real crystallized lemon...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice, definitely gonna try it. I usually put bcaas in my water all day but I'll swap it out for this. Probably cheaper too. I just flavor my water with bcaas just to help me drink more.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This has been addressed in the forums before but max supplemental K is about 99mg. That is a very small amount. As mentioned, unless you suffer from CKD or are taking a K sparing diuretic, you need at least 4500mg per day. Chance of overdose from a sup is essentially nil. Additionally, it efficacy is also nil. Food is still the best, cheapest source. Most athletes could use more veggies, milk, nuts, etc anyway. However, if you want a cheap gram quantities of K, go to your local grocery store and buy a salt substitute. Most are KCl or combination of K salts. Hope that helps a bit.

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest to not mess around with your electroyltes. it could easily get out of hand.

there is a delicate balance not just between sodium and potassium, but also between other minerals like magnesium and calcium. when you modify the levels of one of these minerals, you offset the balance of the others.

try finding why you are retaining water in the first place. the issue can be best addressed through proper dietary changes without the use of any supplement.

and dont just look at the foods from a mineral perspective: sometimes eting foods that dont agree with you (even for example artificial sweeteners which are also found in a lot of bodybuilding powders including most wheys) could lead your body holding water. it could also be hormone related, not just down to sodium levels. its a very complex thing

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would suggest to not mess around with your electroyltes. it could easily get out of hand.

there is a delicate balance not just between sodium and potassium, but also between other minerals like magnesium and calcium. when you modify the levels of one of these minerals, you offset the balance of the others.

try finding why you are retaining water in the first place. the issue can be best addressed through proper dietary changes without the use of any supplement.

and dont just look at the foods from a mineral perspective: sometimes eting foods that dont agree with you (even for example artificial sweeteners which are also found in a lot of bodybuilding powders including most wheys) could lead your body holding water. it could also be hormone related, not just down to sodium levels. its a very complex thing
Thanks. I think it's the hydrocortisone I take daily (25mg) that's causing it just in my face. Corticosteroids can cause mineral based water retention. I've also lowered carbs to about 50-100g per day now for a cut, so that should help too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GatoLoiro Anabolics 7
General Chat 0
Anabolics 6
ThaReal Big Weight Loss 10
Supplements 43