Lean Bulk on IF?

biovirus

Awards
SO i'm just trying to gauge the general public's opinion on IF. I do a variation of it to where I will generally not eat until early afternoon or sometimes late afternoon depending on how busy and I am and whether or not I can make it home to eat. This could be as late as 3PM sometimes. My meals are generally about a cup of dry oats and roughly 40ish grams of protein from a variety of different sources. This is pre-WO, post WO, sometimes another meal after post but then pre-bed (1% Cottage Cheese + celery on PB(roughly 4ish TBsp)). I guess the gist of my question is that if I eat large enough quantities at these 3/4 meals in a 6-8 hour time span can I reasonably "Lean Bulk"? Currently I am sitting at 6'4 212ish but am trying to reach a fairly lean 220.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IF will not provide any additional benefits that a normal diet would. IF is just a certain time when one has an eating window. It works for some due to work or something else that is going on in one's life.

I followed IF for a while. I no longer do because on some days, my calories are too high and eating all of my cals in an 8-10 window is too much. If my cals were lower, I would follow IF. I do workout fasted sometimes, but a few things I have noticed since eating when I am hunger is increased pumps in the gym, increase fullness (muscle fullness) and slightly better performance.

Lean bulking is just going to come down to cals in vs cals out. Only consume a small surplus.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Total intake is going to be the biggest factor (most important).

That said, I don't think it is ideal unless your schedule demands it. I feel it can be hard to fit all those calories into such a small window and while it isn't of the most importance, I just don't think restricting it to a certain window is ideal in a mass gaining phase.

trudsgb

Awards
biovirus what's you calorie intake for your lean bulk?

Shaner091

Shaner091

Awards
IF has big benefits, if your into it. I frequently use it for every day life and cutting and will be using it to lean bulk come 2 weeks time.
Fasting has benefits of fat burning during your fasted window. Helpful for avoiding fat gain during a bulk.
You get to eat bigger more satisfying meals. I eat 3 - 4 times a day. 2-3 3/400kcal meals and 1 100kcal meal.
Can't say it's not fun ?.
I agree with bolt10 however in that total kcal intake is the most important factor regardless what eating technique you employ. Eat more than maintainance to gain weight. Simple as