Eating past 8 pm. Why the bad rep?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
So I read articles all the time about how its so "Bad" to eat after 8 pm.

But then on the other hand, isn't eating past 8 pm if you are trying to build muscle, beneficial? Since feeding the muscles will help them grow.

Now I can understand if a person is out of shape and fat, and their main goal is weight loss.

But a guy who is in the gym, and trying to pack on muscle, I dont' see the problem with eating past 8 pm. Say a guy has dinner at 6:30 or 7. Then has a power shake at 8:30, which is a half hour before he goes to bed.

Your thoughts on that and the topic at hand please.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Absolutely fine, certainly for just a shake before bed as you outlined here

There are studies,
There are entire diets around backloaded eating schemes,

End of the day all you need to be concerned with is total intake and macros, really.

Peri-workout timing of food as well but unrelated here

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Bad rep because people are misinformed with bad information haha. Focus on hitting overall caloric/macronutrient intake within a day and you'll be good. As progress picks up and you get more serious, begin focusing on meal timing as it does help more than people think

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree^^^! OP, IMO that is meant for the couch potato type.

01tj

Awards
I've never been able to follow it but what about Intermittent Fasting? I did try to wait eat after my early morning lift but i had to lift on PWO and BCAA's and that stuff is reaking havoc on my digestive system.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I read articles all the time about how its so "Bad" to eat after 8 pm.

But then on the other hand, isn't eating past 8 pm if you are trying to build muscle, beneficial? Since feeding the muscles will help them grow.

Now I can understand if a person is out of shape and fat, and their main goal is weight loss.

But a guy who is in the gym, and trying to pack on muscle, I dont' see the problem with eating past 8 pm. Say a guy has dinner at 6:30 or 7. Then has a power shake at 8:30, which is a half hour before he goes to bed.

Your thoughts on that and the topic at hand please.
The main problem with anything with the relation to "pre bed" is everyone is different. For some, eating before bed disrupts sleep patterns but for others...it helps them get to sleep. The only reason I would caution someone about eating pre bed is if it directly affects sleep. It's up to you to play around with it.

The only thing you should be concerned about is SLEEP and MACROS. If you're hitting those 2...no problems.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I personally recommend and live by munching on a nice piece of dark chocolate just before bed (brush teeth afterwards lol).

The 8pm rule is one of the silliest rules ever!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I personally recommend and live by munching on a nice piece of dark chocolate just before bed (brush teeth afterwards lol).

The 8pm rule is one of the silliest rules ever!
This girl knows how to do it.
Extra dark :)

MBZ

Awards
I've got to eat before bed in order to sleep well. Not to mention if I don't, I'm grumpy in the am and that causes problems with the wife lol. I've always had good success though and don't believe it has hindered my progress in any way.