Is fat nessecary when bulking?

Zariph

Awards
Hey

Is fat nessecary when bulking? I see a lot suggest 20% of calories comes from fat, but is this really needed? Can I have a diet of only 5% fat, and then substitute it with carbs/protein;)?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Fat is necessary for proper hormonal function so yes, it's necessary. The actual amount is debatable but it's a good idea to keep an adequate amount

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Fat is necessary for proper hormonal function so yes, it's necessary. The actual amount is debatable but it's a good idea to keep an adequate amount
20% is a good guideline Its adequate because fat and protein and necessary. Long term low fat can really mess up your hormones. Stick with a low fat intake for a very long period of time and there can be consequences and your testosterone levels may plummet. It is common for natural bodybuilders who go on a lot of contest preps to come out with very low testosterone levels.

xevilx

Awards
i was also thinking about this because consumption of fats deals with hormones/testosterone. Why can't you lower fats on a cycle because you are super high on your test levels. What other hormonal balance do you need that fats provide? What would be bad about lowering to 15%?

Zariph

Awards
thx for the answers guys! thing is I like to hit my daily calorie intake by getting more carbs and protein...but as far as I understand 20%fat should be the lowest for optimal hormone function?

xevilx

Awards
thx for the answers guys! thing is I like to hit my daily calorie intake by getting more carbs and protein...but as far as I understand 20%fat should be the lowest for optimal hormone function?
but it that on gear also? id imagine you can lower fats on gear because of the super high test levels you're supplementing? I had this exact same question

Zariph

Awards
but it that on gear also? id imagine you can lower fats on gear because of the super high test levels you're supplementing? I had this exact same question
I dunno, Im asking for help without using gear ;P

xevilx

Awards
without i would keep it at no less than 20%. Unless you are having a refeed day you can lower it for a day in place of excess carbs.

Zariph

Awards
could you guys recommend me some "filling" fat sources;)

Zariph

Awards
Nut Butters
Avacado
whole eggs
whole dairy (milk)
Nuts
Oil's
thx man;) - any nut butter you could prefer? never really had any nut butters, and I see there are a lot of different flavors / nuts type butters

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never really had any nutbutters and thought that some brands might taste better than others
Some may taste better, but generally are not worth the price. If you want to make nut butters to your taste, make your own. It is a lot cheaper too.