Making a Recomp diet. Need advice.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to make a body recomposition meal plan, but when I found a calculator online it gave me some numbers I wasn't really expecting. Are the macros right for what I need or is the calculator just a piece of junk?
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1441328767.813627.jpg

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Before we can even start to help, we need your stats: Age, weight, height, body fat % (if known), training

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Weight:187
Height:5'7"
Body fat: according to calculators online in the 25-30% range.
Training: I've been seriously training for over a year now.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not a fan of calculators. I would go by trial and error. However, if you have absolutely no idea what your maintenance is, then I would look at a few calculators and find an average.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
A calculator is just that. A calculator. An online toll will not be accurate it is just a general recommendation or guideline. Every single calculator you will use will be different.

Your best bet as AntM1564 said is trial and error. I don't see a huge reason why you would want to swing kcals by over 1,000 kcals each day, Maybe 100-300 at most but that is totally personal preference on how you want to do that. The key factor is

1) A slight surplus in a recomp to help maintain or slightly gain weight and LBM
2) Trial/Error on what you need to gain and recomp
3) 1g/lb of protein (i would up protein to 190g minimum both days)
4) at least 20% fats on both days (maybe more on non training days and more carbs on training days) since you want to cycle
5) Be patient, it will take time to figure out what you need.
If you want to start with 3000/2500 (Workout/Non) thats fine, adjust after 2 weeks on the scale/mirror and see the changes. The scale is the least valuable tool. At the end of the 7 day week the amount of surplus you get over the weekly average is what matters not how you swing on a day to day basis. If you want to eat the same kcals everyday you could, if you want to swing like you are doing now you can, if you want to not swing as much but still take the weekly average to see how many kcals you are eating you could shorten the gap (like 3000/2500) eating more on rest days may aid you with recovery and performance on a day to day basis.

My 2 cents.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
A calculator is just that. A calculator. An online toll will not be accurate it is just a general recommendation or guideline. Every single calculator you will use will be different.

Your best bet as AntM1564 said is trial and error. I don't see a huge reason why you would want to swing kcals by over 1,000 kcals each day, Maybe 100-300 at most but that is totally personal preference on how you want to do that. The key factor is

1) A slight surplus in a recomp to help maintain or slightly gain weight and LBM
2) Trial/Error on what you need to gain and recomp
3) 1g/lb of protein (i would up protein to 190g minimum both days)
4) at least 20% fats on both days (maybe more on non training days and more carbs on training days) since you want to cycle
5) Be patient, it will take time to figure out what you need.
If you want to start with 3000/2500 (Workout/Non) thats fine, adjust after 2 weeks on the scale/mirror and see the changes. The scale is the least valuable tool. At the end of the 7 day week the amount of surplus you get over the weekly average is what matters not how you swing on a day to day basis. If you want to eat the same kcals everyday you could, if you want to swing like you are doing now you can, if you want to not swing as much but still take the weekly average to see how many kcals you are eating you could shorten the gap (like 3000/2500) eating more on rest days may aid you with recovery and performance on a day to day basis.

My 2 cents.
Thank you and AntM1564. I think I found somewhere on average being around 2800 kcals to maintain 175 lbs (which is my goal weight). So you say 190 grams of protein a day to still build muscle even if I want to drop down to 175?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
175-190 would be fine 1g/lb is a good general recommendation.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Are the sugar and sodium contents as important as the macros for diets or as long as I'm hitting my macros that's all that really matters?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Are the sugar and sodium contents as important as the macros for diets or as long as I'm hitting my macros that's all that really matters?
Minimal. if you are making logical choices for food (See The dirt on clean eating article)
Sodium is fine, you should be spicing all your foods.

here is the article

http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Your diet should be composed of mostly whole foods and micronutrients. once you make logical choices for most of your kcals protein/fats/carbs/fiber then you can include other sources

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Minimal. if you are making logical choices for food (See The dirt on clean eating article)

here is the article

Your diet should be composed of mostly whole foods and micronutrients. once you make logical choices for most of your kcals protein/fats/carbs/fiber then you can include other sources
Alright thank you so much man. I'll take a look at that article and formulate a new plan.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

here is the article

I got a meal plan worked out from whole foods of the following stats:

Kcals: 2045
Carbs: 187
Fat: 82
Protein: 145
Fiber: 20

The plan doesn't include dinner because dinner is unknown during and I either eat dinner with my parents or my gf and I never know what is for dinner until I get there and I don't know macros. Is the plan good for 4 meals, including a post workout meal?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
How can i tell you? I don't do your diet or training.
Try it. Adjust as needed, and see if the changes are good in the mirror and on the scale.
Shooting numbers on a computer screen means nothing until you try it, run it for a few weeks, and make the proper adjustments needed for your goal.

Stating X or Y calories means nothing, everyone has a different metabolism, everyone needs different caloric allotments, no human body is the same.
Since you dont track a meal in a day that could swing your total kcals daily and weekly by a great bit which will make it nearly impossible to pin point the exact amount you are intaking, but if you keep it "Consistent" that is all that matters.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Alright I'll do that.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Wholly frickin carbs... For recomp? Is that real life

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Wholly frickin carbs... For recomp? Is that real life
What would be a good amount of carbs for recomp?

I will be lowering them on non-workout days

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Best thing to do on a recomp is to choose either to carb backload or carb cycle, or a combination of both.

The carbs in that calulator are WAY too high for a recomp, from my personal experience.

Edit: What I personally do is eat fairly low carb all day. Then I have some simple carbs mixed in my pre/peri workout drink, with BCAAs, to fuel my workout (I train at night). Then I have carbs + protein post workout, and then again in another meal post workout. I have about 300g of carbs on my workout days. Much less on my off days. I usually adjust as things progress. If I want to cut a bit more, then I consume fewer carbs, but if my training is very intense, then I keep the carbs up on those days.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Best thing to do on a recomp is to choose either to carb backload or carb cycle, or a combination of both.

The carbs in that calulator are WAY too high for a recomp, from my personal experience.

Edit: What I personally do is eat fairly low carb all day. Then I have some simple carbs mixed in my pre/peri workout drink, with BCAAs, to fuel my workout (I train at night). Then I have carbs + protein post workout, and then again in another meal post workout. I have about 300g of carbs on my workout days. Much less on my off days. I usually adjust as things progress. If I want to cut a bit more, then I consume fewer carbs, but if my training is very intense, then I keep the carbs up on those days.
Alright. I'm making my own diet plan and right now without the inclusion of dinner I'm at 187 on carbs. Should I add in some carbolean or some carb powder to a protein shake before bed?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What would be a good amount of carbs for recomp?

I will be lowering them on non-workout days
There is no generic amount. Everyone is different. Keep carbs as high as possible while still recomping. That is the best bet.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Alright. I'm making my own diet plan and right now without the inclusion of dinner I'm at 187 on carbs. Should I add in some carbolean or some carb powder to a protein shake before bed?
Eat your carbs, . Save liquid carbs for peri workout nutrition if needed. If you are well fed and have an adequate pre-workout meal it may not even be necessary.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Eat your carbs, . Save liquid carbs for peri workout nutrition if needed. If you are well fed and have an adequate pre-workout meal it may not even be necessary.
I don't do a pre workout meal. I've had this fear that I will throw up if I eat before hand. What do you recommend for a preworkout meal?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I don't do a pre workout meal. I've had this fear that I will throw up if I eat before hand. What do you recommend for a preworkout meal?
Any food source that settles easy on YOUR Stomach
Just like what diet works for me may not work for YOU
the human body is not a textbook. You need to see what sources digest very easy on your system , which will vary from person to person

try multiple things
trail mix, granola, bagels, bread, rice, potatoes, cream of rice, cream of wheat, oatmeal, banana's, berries for carbs
nut butters, oil's, avacado, nuts for fat sources
eggs, whey protein, yogurt, chicken, beef

try any combinatoin and see what works best for you. A fear does not always indicate it will happen. Some things settle easier for others. Someone may bloat easy off oatmeal and i know people who can eat a bowl of oatmeal and train 5 minutes later no problems. Personal preference.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Any food source that settles easy on YOUR Stomach
Just like what diet works for me may not work for YOU
the human body is not a textbook. You need to see what sources digest very easy on your system , which will vary from person to person

try multiple things
trail mix, granola, bagels, bread, rice, potatoes, cream of rice, cream of wheat, oatmeal, banana's, berries for carbs
nut butters, oil's, avacado, nuts for fat sources
eggs, whey protein, yogurt, chicken, beef

try any combinatoin and see what works best for you. A fear does not always indicate it will happen. Some things settle easier for others. Someone may bloat easy off oatmeal and i know people who can eat a bowl of oatmeal and train 5 minutes later no problems. Personal preference.
Alright. I'll do just that. Thanks for all the help, man!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's optimal to eat about 2 hours before training, gives everything a chance to settle and leave your stomach for the most part, and nutrients will be in your bloodstream.

Your preworkout meal should not literally be right before training or you'll likely feel nauseous and lethargic with a stomach full of food.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's optimal to eat about 2 hours before training, gives everything a chance to settle and leave your stomach for the most part, and nutrients will be in your bloodstream.

Your preworkout meal should not literally be right before training or you'll likely feel nauseous and lethargic with a stomach full of food.
Not everyone who trains upon waking has time to wait 2 hours to eat and then train. For example a lot of people train upon waking, if i train at 5 a.m. i am not going to wake up at 3 a.m. in the middle of my sleep to eat something and try to go back to bed before i workout.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

Not everyone who trains upon waking has time to wait 2 hours to eat and then train. For example a lot of people train upon waking, if i train at 5 a.m. i am not going to wake up at 3 a.m. in the middle of my sleep to eat something and try to go back to bed before i workout.
I plan on working out at 4:30 am CST, so I agree with Solution, I'm not waking up at 2:30 to eat, go back to bed then try and get back up in 2 hours to work out.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I plan on working out at 4:30 am CST, so I agree with Solution, I'm not waking up at 2:30 to eat, go back to bed then try and get back up in 2 hours to work out.
This is where your liquid carbs (Peri-workout carbs) may be of benefit and BCAA's prior to a fasted training session to help with energy & Recovery. You could try around 25-50g split between pre/intra workout of HBCD (High branch Cyclin Dextrin, Waxy Maize Starch) which are 2 good liquid carbs or carb powders to invest in. not 100% necessary but could "Help" you.

I would also suggest if you train in the AM to make your largest meal or a heavy carb meal your last meal of the night to help fuel and store your glycogen stores for AM Training.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
This is where your liquid carbs (Peri-workout carbs) may be of benefit and BCAA's prior to a fasted training session to help with energy & Recovery. You could try around 25-50g split between pre/intra workout of HBCD (High branch Cyclin Dextrin, Waxy Maize Starch) which are 2 good liquid carbs or carb powders to invest in. not 100% necessary but could "Help" you.

I would also suggest if you train in the AM to make your largest meal or a heavy carb meal your last meal of the night to help fuel and store your glycogen stores for AM Training.
Alright gotcha. In the case of missing AM workout, but can do it after work, say around 4, should it be heavy carbs in the morning?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Alright gotcha. In the case of missing AM workout, but can do it after work, say around 4, should it be heavy carbs in the morning?
Just personal preference man. Some people train fine off P+F and you could eat the majority of your carbs post-workout
Or you could distribute carbs evenly over all meals. Again you have to find what works for you. Everyone is different, nobody is the same. Trial/error

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Just personal preference man. Some people train fine off P+F and you could eat the majority of your carbs post-workout
Or you could distribute carbs evenly over all meals. Again you have to find what works for you. Everyone is different, nobody is the same. Trial/error
Alright. Thanks again man for all the help.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup, in that case for morning workouts, I'd train with BCAAs + liquid carbs. I use a carb blend powder like Inifinit-E from Millenium Sport. Works great. It's a staple of mine.

But I only use carbs peri-workout when my training will be very intense (which it usually is), otherwise training fasted in the morning with BCAAs is totally fine.

The Solution is also 100% correct. It will come down to what you find works best for you in regards to how many carbs you intake, and if you want to train fasted or not.

If you are carb-backloading, you will be training in the morning with a full glycogen reserve btw.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Yup, in that case for morning workouts, I'd train with BCAAs + liquid carbs. I use a carb blend powder like Inifinit-E from Millenium Sport. Works great. It's a staple of mine.

But I only use carbs peri-workout when my training will be very intense (which it usually is), otherwise training fasted in the morning with BCAAs is totally fine.

The Solution is also 100% correct. It will come down to what you find works best for you in regards to how many carbs you intake, and if you want to train fasted or not.

If you are carb-backloading, you will be training in the morning with a full glycogen reserve btw.
Gotcha. Thanks for the tips you guys. I'll definitely pick up some carb powder this weekend and implement the new plan come Monday.