Nutrition for early morning training

Yammi1

Yammi1

Awards
Hi guys
My circumstances have changed recently and I will be training at 5am in the morning. Gonna be tuff as I run the juggernaut program for powerlifting.
My question is what would you recommend as pre and peri nutrition to get the most out of this training.
Right now I'm just hitting a protein shake with some multi dextrose mixed in but I feel I could do better.
Cheers

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you feel you could do better then try to add more food prior.
If you are having good workouts why fix what aint broken?

This question is too "personal" to answer
Some people train better with nothing but BCAA's
Some like a shake + Simple carbs
Some like a whole food meal

What you have to realize is what is "Optimal" for you, weather its a whole food meal, a liquid meal, or nothing to give you optimal performance for your workouts. There is no clear cut answer, you have to tinker and see what works best for you

For me --> if i eat too close to training i feel sick, and my performance suffers
If i have a BCAA product --> Feel better, train better, better mood/energy/focus

Too individual to give a clear answer, again try different food sources, try different liquid sources (maybe try adding some Orange Juice for extra carbs or gatorade or HBCD ((Liquid Carbs)) to increase carb intake around your peri workout nutrition

Try a whole food meal ---> Bagel, banana, cream of rice, oatmeal, rice, chicken, whey etc and see how it sits and see how your performance is
Take notes, adjust, and move forward knowing what works for YOU

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Going to come down to your own preference,
Personally I would just hit a meal or a shake post and then just hit daily macros however from there on

Big picture is total daily intake

Yammi1

Yammi1

Awards
Iv tried eating before working out and I need to have at least an hours gaps to be comfortable and at that time in the morning it's not really an option.
Maybe the question should of been what should I drink before and during to optimise my workout and to minimise muscle break down.
Lots of talk at the moment about how pre and during is the most important part. More so than post. Just got me thinking I guess and was interested in some opinions.
Thanks

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you can't eat a solid meal prior, you could try drinking a mix of EAAs and carbs pre/intra. I'd suggest that you start drinking it 10-15 mins before training and continue sipping throughout the duration of your workout.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you can't eat a solid meal prior, you could try drinking a mix of EAAs and carbs pre/intra. I'd suggest that you start drinking it 10-15 mins before training and continue sipping throughout the duration of your workout.
Agree with breezy. And I'm not sure what "minimize muscle breakdown" means. Are you dieting?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Iv tried eating before working out and I need to have at least an hours gaps to be comfortable and at that time in the morning it's not really an option.
Maybe the question should of been what should I drink before and during to optimise my workout and to minimise muscle break down.
Lots of talk at the moment about how pre and during is the most important part. More so than post. Just got me thinking I guess and was interested in some opinions.
Thanks
Just have a preworkout or coffee and get your work out done lol. No need to overthink it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is what I'd do too OP. :thumbsup:

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would go with ths or you could try to eat the majority of your cals later in the day/pre bed. Some people even sleep better with a full stomach. You could even carb backload and save your carbs for the night.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks
Whats most
Important is doing what sits easiest on stomach
What provides optimal performance

And here is the key part ---- helps meet your caloric intake in the 24 hour period

Weather you eat a smaller amount pre and post does not mean the end of the world some do not and eat more as the day goes on

Personal preference give the body what it needs to train in an optimal performance and see what suits you

BCAA / EAA and carbs
Whole food meal
Shake or liquid kcals

Try each for a few weeks and adjust

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
If you feel you could do better then try to add more food prior.
If you are having good workouts why fix what aint broken?

This question is too "personal" to answer
Some people train better with nothing but BCAA's
Some like a shake + Simple carbs
Some like a whole food meal

What you have to realize is what is "Optimal" for you, weather its a whole food meal, a liquid meal, or nothing to give you optimal performance for your workouts. There is no clear cut answer, you have to tinker and see what works best for you

For me --> if i eat too close to training i feel sick, and my performance suffers
If i have a BCAA product --> Feel better, train better, better mood/energy/focus

Too individual to give a clear answer, again try different food sources, try different liquid sources (maybe try adding some Orange Juice for extra carbs or gatorade or HBCD ((Liquid Carbs)) to increase carb intake around your peri workout nutrition

Try a whole food meal ---> Bagel, banana, cream of rice, oatmeal, rice, chicken, whey etc and see how it sits and see how your performance is
Take notes, adjust, and move forward knowing what works for YOU
Great response TheSolution

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I would experiment and see what works best.
Could try some simple toast/p.butter or something like oatmeal or just nothing at all. Me I usually have to have something... Usually light. I'm not an early am person though.

Yammi1

Yammi1

Awards
Yep I'll start experimenting.
If I training early and consumed nothing wouldn't that be detrimental to my training? I was under the impression that fasted training puts you in a catabolic state which wouldn't be the way to go for powerlifting?
Or am I totally incorrect with that?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If I training early and consumed nothing wouldn't that be detrimental to my training? I was under the impression that fasted training puts you in a catabolic state which wouldn't be the way to go for powerlifting?
Read my responses again or Breezy's and why we suggest a BCAA or BCAA + Carb product.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
No. Its really depends on what your diet is. You don't go catabolic in that short period of time unless you are dieting and calories are restricted quite a bit. A simple bcaa/carb mix is just fine as breezy and solution recommended.

avega

avega

Awards
I train at 5am. So I wake up at 4am and have cream of rice with a scoop of chocolate whey (hot chocolate pudding). That gives me an hour before training. Fast carbs and protein. I have great workouts and get good pumps. Took me awhile to piece it together, but it works with me. Like everyone says, find what works for you.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
My morning meal consist of high carbs , high protein, some fats.

There is no scientific research I have as to why I ate 60g carbs, 60 gprotien and 12 g fats but it was some tasty ish.

The only reason I would say at least have some food is due to blood sugar.

If you lift heavy ass weight with beast intensity low blood sugar is a bitch.

My meal is just down to personal preference. Now you have to find the food or supplementation right for you.