Hows my protein?

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
Hey guys, hope this is in the right spot...

I just wanted a few more experienced folks to check what I'm doing and see if I'm on track...

Preface: I've had gastric bypass about 10 years ago. You'd never know it except for my scar. Right now I'm 144 at 5'5" and roughly 12-13% BF. I'd like to get under 10% before a bulk this fall. I've put on some muscle and am currently doing a recomp.

Because of the bypass I kind of have to eat lots of smaller meals all day. For example, in a hour I'll be having some salmon salad with crackers I made from canned salmon and light mayo. Later it'll be low fat string cheese and some turkey pepperoni. Anyway, protein shakes are a larger part of my diet than a lot of you guys because it's a helluva lot easier to slug one down vs. raw food. Here's what I have going on now:

Protiens:
Combat Powder by MusclePharm
ON's Plantium Hydro Whey

I have the Combat first thing in the morning and before bed -- it's a "blended" protein, so it has casein, egg, why concentrate and isolate. I used to use straight casein before bed but that stuff is nasty. It's thick, sticky, hard to mix and gross tasting. I'm also a little bit lactose intolerant so it gave me stomach problems if I didn't fall asleep fast.

The Hydro whey is post-workout about 45 min later. I chug down GAT's JetMass immediatley post-workout, and drive home for my post-workout protein.

Lunch is usually some kind of low-carb, high protein affair like chili or some kind of chicken. Dinner is usually some kind of fish/chicken.

I've calculated my my totals, and I'm getting about 1gm for every 1lb of body weight this way.

I know, I know...MusclePharm? It's a blend, and I can get it at my Costco fairly inexpensively. Shipping is expensive here, so unless I can get it through Amazon Prime or the retailer is going to cut me some deal ...

I'm taking Ergonine mornings along with sesathin and a multi. I just finished a run of cannibal claw from CnP. Good stuff, bottle doesn't last long, but that's probably for the best.

So, how's this all look for now? Any thoughts?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would not use Combat powder. They count taurine and glycine towards the total protein count. So, if the label says 24 grams of protein per scoop, that is not accurate I also wouldn't pay the high price tag for HydroWhey. ON is a good company, but a fast digesting protein is not needed in the morning to get out of a catabolic mode or post workout to see better results. Also, casein protein is not needed pre bed to drive off catabolism. I know you said shipping is high where you are so made try to find other local options.

Also, I think you are relying way to much on powders for your protein. I know some people say it doesn't make a difference where it comes from and in the end, they are right. However, you are missing out on micros from animal protein. You said you're getting 144 grams of protein a day roughly. Assuming each powder has 22 grams of protein, I think both products are more though, that is 66g just from powders. That is 45-46% of your daily protein in supplement form. If shipping is expensive for supplements, use that money and buy whole foods.

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
Thanks!

The Hydro Whey is post-workout, about 45 min after I leave the gym. . . I probably won't run it again after the 5lb jug is done due to the expense.

It's hard for me to eat very much in one sitting, but I can drink a protein shake easily. To give you an idea, two hard boiled eggs fills me up. I can drink a 30 gm protien shake though no problem though. So for me to get the protein I need, I have to rely more on powders than I'd ideally like.

I've toyed around with the idea of eating 8-10 times day, almost every hour just 5-10 grams of protein in "whole food" form.

The hydro says 30 grams, but it probably averages more like 25-30 depending on how packed the scoop is. The combat says 25 ... but like you said about their numbers...

I'm really in a weird spot...I went from 265 10 years 32% BF ago to about 155, now I'm at 144 and my BF is about half of what it was. I can see each one of my abs!

I hear you though, digesting real food probably burns more calories, and like you said -- there's more than just protein in real food. I'm struggling on how to get my healthy fats up.

Holland

Holland

Awards
Trying cooking with coconut oil for high heat things and olive oil for low heat things and trying eating half a avacado a day. This is for your healthy fats.

Fitness001

Awards
According to my point of view whey protein is best from all. Its great to gain weight as well as muscles power..

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. I really don't shy away from just straight whey protein. I don't use blends or isolated ro casein I just use 100% whey. But I would 70% of my protein is from food and 30% is from powder.

Fitness001

Awards
Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.Thanks