Need advice from people who use/have used The Anabolic Diet

Wahoo1

Awards
I'm very interested in trying the anabolic diet. I like the idea of staying lean while slowly putting muscle on. But I calculated my macros and its 25> C, 216F, and 324P??? That's a lot of protein! And it's even harder bc I don't eat red meat :( Do I really have to eat all that? I mean, if that's what I gotta do, than so be it. But can't I just lower the protein and raise the fats instead? What has worked for you? Thanks

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
How have you calculated your macros/calories? Protein does seem high unless you're a heavy guy.

I feel it worth pointing out that there's nothing 'magical' about the anabolic diet. It works well for some, not so well for others, but ultimately calorie deficit is what will determine fat loss, and despite popular myth, you can still put on muscle while losing fat... just not if you're in extreme calorie deficit (which is never a good idea). It's not as though you'll suddenly stop losing fat by increasing carbs from 25g/day to 100g, while still maintaining the same number of calories. Carbs don't make you fat, we surely all know this by now. Low carb can certainly help with built up insulin resistance etc. and higher fat can be more satiating and promote a healthy hormone balance vs low fat which can do the opposite... but in and of itself it is certainly no panacea.

You certainly don't have to eliminate carbs to stay lean either. As with any approach though, you really have to try it for yourself to figure out how well it work for you. It would also be hard for anyone to say a certain macro breakdown was 100% the right one... there's invariably some trial and error with these things. As for myself, I based it off 1-1.2g/protein per lb bodyweight, circa 50g carbs most days (usually in the form of an intra workout shake), and the rest in fats... based on a calorie intake of around 2500... which was right for me.

And no, you don't HAVE to eat red meat, there are plenty of other sources you can get your fats from, although high quality grass fed red meat is very good for you, so unless you have moral reasons for not eating it, it's something you should ideally include in your diet.