Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity

Abstract

Background

Sleep loss can modify energy intake and expenditure.

Objective

To determine whether sleep restriction attenuates the effect of reduced-calorie diet on excess adiposity.

Design

Randomized two-period two-condition crossover study.

Setting

University clinical research center and sleep laboratory.

Patients

10 overweight nonsmoking adults (3F/7M); mean (SD) age 41 (5) y; body mass index 27.4 (2.0) kg/m2.

Intervention

14 days of moderate caloric restriction with 8.5 or 5.5-hour nighttime sleep opportunity.

Measurements

Primary: loss of fat and fat-free body mass. Secondary: changes in substrate utilization, energy expenditure, hunger, and 24-h metabolic hormone concentrations.

Results

Sleep curtailment decreased the fraction of weight lost as fat by 55% (1.4 vs. 0.6 kg with 8.5 vs. 5.5-h sleep opportunity, P=0.043) and increased the loss of fat-free body mass by 60% (1.5 vs. 2.4 kg, P=0.002). This was accompanied by markers of enhanced neuroendocrine adaptation to caloric restriction, increased hunger, and a shift in relative substrate utilization towards oxidation of less fat.

Limitations

The nature of the study limited its duration and sample size.

Conclusions

The amount of human sleep contributes to the maintenance of fat-free body mass at times of decreased energy intake. Lack of sufficient sleep may compromise the efficacy of typical dietary interventions for weight loss and related metabolic risk reduction.
FT - Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity

In this study, participants placed into one of 2 groups. Both groups were assigned to an energy restricted diet and were allowed either 8.5 or 5.5 hours of sleep for 14 days.

Restricting sleep by 3 hours (8.5 vs. 5.5 hours of sleep) did not affect total weight loss, but did decrease fat loss by 55%! It also increased the loss of lean body mass loss by 60%! Both of these changes promoted a metabolic adaptation which inhibited fatty acid oxidation.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Huge results

Thanks for the share

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need more sleep.

Thanks Josh.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know I am definitely guilt of this. My average is around 5-6 hours a sleep a night

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Usually try to give myself 8.5-9 hours to give myself extra time for when I wake up to use the bathrroom.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I know I am definitely guilt of this. My average is around 5-6 hours a sleep a night
You and me both. Seems like there isnt enough hours in the day

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I've been called a 'sleep princess' many atimes lmao

bboyflash

Awards
I can attest the no sleep, I find that if you're doin fatloss a -10% deficit will works best for me anyways if I'm lacking sleep or staying out late...

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I sleep ok. Not great, but ok. I no longer sleep on a bed though. Since the bed bug infestation had to get rid of it. Now I sleep on two futon cushions on the floor. I think I actually sleep better this way. Don't think I even want to go back to sleeping on a bed.

AnthroLats

Awards
I wake up frequently during the night, am I losing my gains? (serious question)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I slept like absolute crap last night. Maybe got 4 hours total. Getting up to piss about every hour and anxiousness. Had to skip workout because I can barely function on this limited amount of sleep.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dopadex and melatonin has helped me stay asleep through the night

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn....good post! My 6 hours definitely ain't good enough.