Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Food is Fuel John Meadows Outlook:

The "Food is Fuel" argument.

I hear this often, and by people I have tremendous respect for. It never quite rang right with me though. It seems no healthier mentally then the ultra restrictive dieting that many say leads to binge eating.

Today I read something from The Mountain Dog Diet chef Elissa Jewel as we prepare our next e-book for launch that is a real gem. This perfectly encapsulated how I feel about food.

"Food is NOT just fuel

Anyone who says and expects otherwise is a fool. Food is a social tool, it's the basis of many a cultural bonding ceremony, it's a shared experience and it's a pleasurable, anticipated part of our day. To disassociate oneself from this is to enforce the expectation that you can actually become a nutritional robot. If you strip away the essential, humanistic elements of meal times and replace them with a bleak, stark, bland meal - you take away a fundamental part of the human existence."

Bottom line for me, is that I think if you stay in good shape year round, there is no need to not have a cheat meal every week with loved ones when preparing for a contest, and I think this is the ultimate tool for not binging and having a healthier outlook. Don't be afraid to enjoy food...spice it up...make it taste good...enjoy these meals socially, etc. Now if you let yourself go in the off-season, well it sucks to be you come contest time.