Protein content in peanuts

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know what the BV % is for peanuts?

I eat a crap load and always wondered what the quality of the protein was.

Thanks

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Anyone know what the BV % is for peanuts?

I eat a crap load and always wondered what the quality of the protein was.

Thanks

Quick search I found this list I don't know how accurate it is, but it appears peanut protein is not great. Seems a much better source of fat then protein

Protein Source - Bio-Availability Index
Whey Protein Isolate Blends - 100-159
Whey Concentrate - 104
Whole Egg - 100
Cow's Milk - 91
Egg White - 88
Fish - 83
Beef - 80
Chicken - 79
Casein - 77
Rice - 74
Soy - 59
Wheat - 54
Beans - 49
Peanuts - 43

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the search. Yeah, I assumed it wasn't that high.

Dang it. Thanks again

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the search. Yeah, I assumed it wasn't that high.

Dang it. Thanks again
Depends on the nut. Nuts dont actually breakdown very well (esp almonds) so they dont provide as much kcal wise and macro wise as the labels state.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends on the nut. Nuts dont actually breakdown very well (esp almonds) so they dont provide as much kcal wise and macro wise as the labels state.
Sup J-please elaborate as I'm an Almonds, Peanuts and Hazelnuts freak.

I know peanuts are the unhealthiest of the bunch (poly:mono ratio) but I ain't gonna lie-I eat the crap out of them.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sup J-please elaborate as I'm an Almonds, Peanuts and Hazelnuts freak.

I know peanuts are the unhealthiest of the bunch (poly:mono ratio) but I ain't gonna lie-I eat the crap out of them.
Ill add more to this in the morning :D

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nobody knows

True story

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd. I'm curious about this as well. I get lots of undigested peanuts ending up in the toilet if I eat a large quantity. I've always wondered if my body is actually getting any micro or macro nutrients from them, or just pushing them through my system lol

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sub'd. I'm curious about this as well. I get lots of undigested peanuts ending up in the toilet if I eat a large quantity. I've always wondered if my body is actually getting any micro or macro nutrients from them, or just pushing them through my system lol
Probably a little bit of both ;)

Not sure I buy the science 100% about soaking and/or roasting the nuts to negate the phytic acid content (this binds minerals-not good) - but then again, I eat a lot of raw nuts so maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Who knows.

Seems like the more I read and the more I learn, the more complicated FOODS and EATING became.

I find myself getting so caught up with the minutia anymore.

Is it worth it? Ask me in 30 years. I am really starting to think its not.

Lol.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Skimmed through this so sorry if this comment is off topic but best nut i would say is macadamian nuts, VERY pricey but so tasty and very healthy

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Skimmed through this so sorry if this comment is off topic but best nut i would say is macadamian nuts, VERY pricey but so tasty and very healthy
Thanks for the bump! I forgot to go back and look up those things for Whacked!

Im heading to work now so ill look :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I go through spurts where I eat peanuts lol (same thing as tuna). Sometimes I'll eat it frequently and then it's nothing at all for a while.

I generally just throw them under the umbrella of a fat and just count on some mild, secondary protein content (same way as a slice of whole grain bread may yield me 4-5g protein, but is predominantly carbs).

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The thing about nuts is that their nutrition content is typically mislabeled and honestly the way we metabolize it is somewhat an anomaly. There was an overfeeding paper a while back that used nuts and the weight change didn't make sense with the caloric intake.

We can measure it with a calorie bomb meter but for some reason it doesn't transfer to humans that well.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The thing about nuts is that their nutrition content is typically mislabeled and honestly the way we metabolize it is somewhat an anomaly. There was an overfeeding paper a while back that used nuts and the weight change didn't make sense with the caloric intake.

We can measure it with a calorie bomb meter but for some reason it doesn't transfer to humans that well.
That's very interesting. I'd be interested in giving that a read if you can dig it up

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I blame Mr. Peanut...he never looked reputable. It all makes sense, now.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ok so, finally, i'll just leave snippets as they kinda speak for themselves:

These results substantiate our original hypothesis that an increase in fecal fat excretion in subjects on a diet containing almonds is attributed to intact CWs hindering the digestion of intracellular lipid.
The process by which almond tissue fractures, like all plant tissues, depends on CW strength and cell-cell adhesion (15). Thus, in fruits and vegetables that are crisp or crunchy the process of tissue fracture occurs by cell rupture. However, during cooking and ripening of these plant foods a process of cell separation can occur, which leads to tissue softening, and is attributed
mainly to the weakening of pectic substances involved in cell-cell adhesion (15, 34).
The degradation of the CW can also be significantly influenced by the presence of noncarbohydrate compounds, such as phenolic components (43), which are known also to have strong antioxidant properties (44, 45).
In particular, the CWs were intact and hindered the release of intracellular lipid. Thus, an increase in fecal fat excretion after consumption of an almond-rich diet is primarily attributed to impairment of lipid bioaccessibility, as a result of an intact CW barrier.
Whole peanut consumption led to a greater fecal fat percent of wet weight and energy per gram of feces compared to the PF, PB, PO or a no peanut control diet. The mean energy losses were 153.7 kJ day−1 for P, 78.1 kJ day−1 for PO, 79.6 kJ day−1 for PB and 5.3 kJ day−1 for PF.
When whole peanuts were consumed, total energy loss increased by 154 kJ compared to the control period while fat energy loss increased by 84 kJ. Thus, fat loss accounts for 54.6% of total energy loss in the feces, while the nature of the remaining 70 kJ or 45% was not characterized. Prior work with almonds documented that intact nut parenchymal cells were lost in the stool.4 Considering the macronutrient composition of peanuts (about 50% fat and 45% carbohydrate and protein) it is possible that the extra 70 kJ excreted came from the protein and carbohydrate components of peanuts (Table 2).
And so on.

You can extrapolate that the cell wall of an almond prevents a lot of the energy from being accessed and extracted, with a lot of it simply ending up in fecal matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22760558

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v32/n2/full/0803735a.html

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v26/n8/full/0802050a.html

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/6/999.long

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15321799

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Post of the day award Jig. Well done. ;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So Cliffs are it's not worth it because the come out almost in the same form as they go in?.
We absorb some, just not all. So the numbers of the packet are not reflective of what you get

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't really eat them anymore. They aggravate my roids and for some reason for the couple weeks when I've tried eating them I get coughing spells.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
We absorb some, just not all. So the numbers of the packet are not reflective of what you get
That's only with almonds though, correct? Also, when cutting, it sounds like the perfect food to eat, no?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's only with almonds though, correct? Also, when cutting, it sounds like the perfect food to eat, no?
I would speculate that this is true for all nuts as the mechanism (cell wall) is the same.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the studies prove something but underestimate the phenomenon.

At a 20% "loss" due to the cell wall blocking absorption .... 3 servings for most nuts which would equate to:

400 calories = 80 calories of "lost calories"
15G protein = 3G protein of "lost protein"
45G fat = 9G fat of "lost fat"

Not really a huge deal to most of us bodybuilders who eat 3k/day.

I think the fiber content also inhibits some of the fat as well. There is something interesting is at play for sure though as I have pigged out on nuts to the point of being sick (lol. I can't stop eating them) and realized I don't pick up weight at all the same as I do when I splurge on other foods.