The Official Smoothie Recipe Thread

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For all the members who enjoying juicing, blending, making smoothies, or whatever else you would like to call it. Feel free to post your favorite recipes, ingredients, blender brands, and anything else associated with juicing/blending.

Have the perfect recipe for the ultimate green smoothie? Post it up!

Think you have created the most protein packed smoothie? Share the gains!

Do you know of any ingredients that will transform your boring smoothies into a taste bud bonanza? Please, do tell!

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Nice idea. Has to be the best way to get fruits and veggies IMO.

SMOOTHIE:
Spinach (fresh) and/or Kale
Blueberries (fresh)
Bananas (frozen)
Olive oil
Naked (brand) green machine
A little dextrose

JUICE:
Spinach and/or Kale
Carrots
Beetroot
Apples
Lemon or Lime

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nice idea. Has to be the best way to get fruits and veggies IMO.

SMOOTHIE:
Spinach (fresh) and/or Kale
Blueberries (fresh)
Bananas (frozen)
Olive oil
Naked (brand) green machine
A little dextrose

JUICE:
Spinach and/or Kale
Carrots
Beetroot
Apples
Lemon or Lime
Thanks man, and I agree with you. Smoothies are so easy to make and you can put a variety of fruits and veggies in your blender.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have a few books that have all different kinds of recipes which come out pretty good, but I like experimenting and making my own.

My usual green smoothie consists of:

Kale
Swiss Chard
Frozen mixed berries
Shredded coconut
Banana
Greek Yogurt
A splash of orange juice

I'll add different things here and there such as avocado, peanut butter, and whatever else I think sounds good.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In!! This is a great idea!!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bushel of Kale
Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt or Strawberry 100 cal Chobani
Coconut Oil
Egg Whites
Oats
Honey Crisp Apple
Strawberries

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good thread :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
inn

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Smoothie:

Spinach
Carrots
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Coconut Oil
Scoop of casein and half scoop of whey
Scoop of Amazing Greens
Unsweetened almond milk

I have a Nutri-Ninja with a 32 oz cup, thing is usually overflowing.

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Great thread, I don't get too into the vegetables but when bulking I drink smoothies quite a bit. I like to do this

16oz milk
1/2cup frozen mango pieces
1 banana
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup oats
6oz Greek yogurt

One of my favorites

Another simpler one is

16oz milk
1 cup frozen cherries
1scoop vanilla protein
6oz Greek yogurt
1/2 cup ice

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I burnt out my ninja in like 7 months :/. Then, stepped up to the VitaMix. That thing is uh-mazing!
I just got the ninja as a gift and it works pretty good and is convenient. But, with two of us using it daily, I don't see it lasting very long.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I burnt out my ninja in like 7 months :/. Then, stepped up to the VitaMix. That thing is uh-mazing!
You like it better? Sweet. I am too cheap lol

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just got the ninja as a gift and it works pretty good and is convenient. But, with two of us using it daily, I don't see it lasting very long.
Nice !! Have fun. I'm obsessed w mine.

Screw these GREENS concoctions - I'm down w some low carb chocolate or peanut butter flavored protein smoothies

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Nice !! Have fun. I'm obsessed w mine.

Screw these GREENS concoctions - I'm down w some low carb chocolate or peanut butter flavored protein smoothies
16oz cashew milk
2tbsp natural almond butter
1 scoop ISO smooth chocolate
Ice cubes

Should end up with about 7g total carbs, depending on what brand everything you do

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
16oz cashew milk
2tbsp natural almond butter
1 scoop ISO smooth chocolate
Ice cubes

Should end up with about 7g total carbs, depending on what brand everything you do

Will try. Thanks !!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ditto here ;)

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Good idea for a thread. I'm a huge protein smoothie fan and do 2 of them every day.

Here are my favorite recipes:

Chocolate/Cherry Shake:

1-1.5 cup almond milk
1 spoon of almond butter
3/4 cup frozen cherries
1 banana
2 handfuls of spinach
Pinch of sea salt and cinnamon (optional but gives it a good flavor)
1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder (if you don't have this you can use regular cocoa powder too, but I'm a huge fan of cacao - gives it a really rich chocolate flavor)
Little bit of ice (1/2 cup or so)
1-2 scoops protein (I usually do 1 scoop PES chocolate and 1 scoop of this grass-fed vanilla cake batter whey)

The one above is by far the best tasting smoothie I've ever had. I've been throwing maca powder in it too recently.

This one is really good too:

Chocolate Mint Shake:

Basically the same as above but no cherries. Instead do about 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract.

Everything else is the same.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MMMM.

NOM NOM NOM

DB1219

Awards
Anyone have a low-carb protein smoothie recipe? I currently make something similar to many of the recipes above. I suppose I could just add protein powder (which I am out of currently) but thought I would ask AM folks.

I use ***e Greek yogurt plain as my base. It has 23g protein and 9g carbs per cup. (3 lbs container at Costco) I figure with a little milk and spinach my average berry smoothie is probably 25 to 35 grams protein. The berries and splash of OJ probably adds another 10-15g of carbs. I'm guessing my average berry smoothie is about 20-25 carbs.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have a low-carb protein smoothie recipe? I currently make something similar to many of the recipes above. I suppose I could just add protein powder (which I am out of currently) but thought I would ask AM folks.

I use ***e Greek yogurt plain as my base. It has 23g protein and 9g carbs per cup. (3 lbs container at Costco) I figure with a little milk and spinach my average berry smoothie is probably 25 to 35 grams protein. The berries and splash of OJ probably adds another 10-15g of carbs. I'm guessing my average berry smoothie is about 20-25 carbs.
How low in carbs are you trying to go?

A simple one that's always good is milk/almond milk, a banana, some nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew, etc.), spinach, and protein powder.

Only about 25g of carbs or so depending on the size of the banana.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I tried this today and it won't be the last time. Thank you for the recipe!
It's really good isn't it?

The chocolate/cherry combo is perfect.

If you like mint chocolate try the mint variation I posted below that one (basically substitute cherries for 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract).

There's several other variations I've played with too like frozen pineapple in place of the cherries for a pineapple/chocolate combo. You could also do an orange/chocolate if you like that flavor. Lots of options.

Here's a totally different smoothie for you PES Snickerdoodle fans:

1 cup almond milk
1 banana
1 cup frozen raspberries
Pinch of sea salt and cinnamon
1/2 cup or so of ice
1 scoop PES Snickerdoodle protein

I know the raspberry/snickerdoodle combo might sound weird but it goes together nicely.

I also do the same thing where instead of a smoothie I'll make oatmeal and mix in raspberries and that PES protein and it's phenomenal.

Here's one more with PES C&C:

1 cup almond milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana
1 spoon almond butter
1/2 cup ice
Sea salt
1 scoop of PES Cookies and Cream protein

Just like the other recipe, you can also make oatmeal with this. Just make the oatmeal as you normally would and throw in a handful of blueberries, some salt, cinnamon, and C&C protein powder.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thank you everyone for subbing along, and throwing some recipes in here! Much appreciated, I'm looking forward to trying all of these!

Coconut Oil
I would never have thought to incorporate coconut oil into my smoothies. Smart man Spaniard, thanks a lot!

Smoothie: Spinach Carrots Strawberries Blueberries Raspberries Coconut Oil Scoop of casein and half scoop of whey Scoop of Amazing Greens Unsweetened almond milk I have a Nutri-Ninja with a 32 oz cup, thing is usually overflowing.
This sounds delicious and I like the idea of adding the unsweetened amazing greens! Good stuff brother man, thanks!

Great thread, I don't get too into the vegetables but when bulking I drink smoothies quite a bit. I like to do this 16oz milk 1/2cup frozen mango pieces 1 banana 1/4 cup coconut flakes 1/2 cup oats 6oz Greek yogurt One of my favorites Another simpler one is 16oz milk 1 cup frozen cherries 1scoop vanilla protein 6oz Greek yogurt 1/2 cup ice
The frozen mango pieces must make that first smoothies taste amazing. Mangos are hands down my favorite fruit.

Good idea for a thread. I'm a huge protein smoothie fan and do 2 of them every day. Here are my favorite recipes: Chocolate/Cherry Shake: 1-1.5 cup almond milk 1 spoon of almond butter 3/4 cup frozen cherries 1 banana 2 handfuls of spinach Pinch of sea salt and cinnamon (optional but gives it a good flavor) 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder (if you don't have this you can use regular cocoa powder too, but I'm a huge fan of cacao - gives it a really rich chocolate flavor) Little bit of ice (1/2 cup or so) 1-2 scoops protein (I usually do 1 scoop PES chocolate and 1 scoop of this grass-fed vanilla cake batter whey)
I need to try this chocolate/cherry shake immediately! Great recipe!

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Here's a nice simple smoothie simply titled "Blue Kale Smoothie"

1.5 cups of ice cubes
1 banana
1 cup packed of kale
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/4 of vanilla Greek yogurt

Combine it all together and blend until it's nice and smooth.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Thread has given me a lot of ideas for smoothies. Think I'm gonna get a jar of almond butter to make a sweeter smoothie for "dessert" in the evening. Maybe some cacao powder with choco casein and some almond milk with the almond butter, sounds good. Maybe a teaspoon of stevia in it.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Thread has given me a lot of ideas for smoothies. Think I'm gonna get a jar of almond butter to make a sweeter smoothie for "dessert" in the evening. Maybe some cacao powder with choco casein and some almond milk with the almond butter, sounds good. Maybe a teaspoon of stevia in it.
Do it. Almond butter + cacao in a smoothie is the cat's pajamas.

Stevia adds some nice sweetness too without any extra calories.

A really basic, easy one is almond milk, almond butter, 1 banana, some ice, 1-2 tablespoons cacao, spinach, stevia and 1-2 scoops protein.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Do it. Almond butter + cacao in a smoothie is the cat's pajamas.

Stevia adds some nice sweetness too without any extra calories.

A really basic, easy one is almond milk, almond butter, 1 banana, some ice, 1-2 tablespoons cacao, spinach, stevia and 1-2 scoops protein.
Sounds perfect. I have all of that except for the almond butter. I was just looking online, almond butter isn't cheap, of course almonds aren't cheap so it makes sense. I love eating whole almonds, just never thought to put almond butter in my smoothie.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Sounds perfect. I have all of that except for the almond butter. I was just looking online, almond butter isn't cheap, of course almonds aren't cheap so it makes sense. I love eating whole almonds, just never thought to put almond butter in my smoothie.
Try Trader Joes or Whole Foods. You can find some for like $7 a jar or so.

DB1219

Awards
Good idea for a thread. I'm a huge protein smoothie fan and do 2 of them every day.

Here are my favorite recipes:

Chocolate/Cherry Shake:

1-1.5 cup almond milk
1 spoon of almond butter
3/4 cup frozen cherries
1 banana
2 handfuls of spinach
Pinch of sea salt and cinnamon (optional but gives it a good flavor)
1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder (if you don't have this you can use regular cocoa powder too, but I'm a huge fan of cacao - gives it a really rich chocolate flavor)
Little bit of ice (1/2 cup or so)
1-2 scoops protein (I usually do 1 scoop PES chocolate and 1 scoop of this grass-fed vanilla cake batter whey)

The one above is by far the best tasting smoothie I've ever had. I've been throwing maca powder in it too recently.

This one is really good too:

Chocolate Mint Shake:

Basically the same as above but no cherries. Instead do about 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract.

Everything else is the same.
JX - sounds delicious. What do you think the protien/ carb numbers are in something like this? This sounds like a great substitute for that after dinner sweet attack I get.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
JX - sounds delicious. What do you think the protien/ carb numbers are in something like this? This sounds like a great substitute for that after dinner sweet attack I get.
It's perfect for when you're craving sweets. It literally tastes like a chocolate shake with a hint of cherries or mint depending on which one you do. Doesn't even feel healthy, but it is.

I always do 2 scoops of protein, so with the almond butter it comes to about 55-60g protein.

Roughly ~55-60 grams of carbs in the cherry version.

1 banana is like 25-30g carbs, 3/4 cup of cherries is 20-25g, cacao powder is 3g per tablespoon so not a whole lot in the cacao. Almond butter has a trace amount of carbs too.

For fats, depending on how much almond butter you use (I just do 1 medium sized spoonful, maybe a tablespoon if I actually measured it), it comes to about 10g in the whole thing.

Now for the mint shake, since you're not using cherries, that cuts out ~25g of carbs or so, bringing it around 30-35g total.

Also a word of advice:

Don't blend your protein on high speeds.

It will just blow the protein up, making it feel like you're drinking air. It totally ruins the consistency of the thing.

What I do is blend everything to a really smooth consistency before adding the protein. Then once it's blended, throw the protein in and just turn the blender high enough to mix it up (enough to form a vortex basically, but not so much to where it's whipping around at high speeds).

I learned this the hard way.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Started my evening smoothie:
Scoop casein
Scoop whey
Cocoa
Banana
Tablespoon almond butter
Good pour of almond milk

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These sound YUM. Trying to keep carbs MUCH lower - any creative ideas ???

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
These sound YUM. Trying to keep carbs MUCH lower - any creative ideas ???
How low are you trying to go?

The most basic smoothie recipe is only like 30g (using a banana as the only fruit) so I'm not sure how much lower you can really make them.

You can do half a banana and keep it around 15g of carbs. Takes away some of the flavor/consistency though.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do bananas make THAT big of a difference? Yea, 15G is cool!!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bananas make it much sweeter and even thickens it a bit

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Bananas make it much sweeter and even thickens it a bit
^^ This.

The difference with and without a banana is pretty noticeable. The banana gives it an actual smoothie consistency and great flavor; otherwise you're just drinking a protein shake basically.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
this is mah brekky that I make and drink it on the way to work.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yo Choccy :)
What is LSA?

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Loving the participation in here, thanks everyone for your recipes!

JX you're posting some killer smoothies, my man!

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Smoothies make kale possible for me, I can't handle the taste on its own!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established