Foods for power and strength?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Is this even such a thing? Like say for a person who wants to maintain weight for a certain class, would it's just be all calories and macros or are there foods that is better than others for strength and power?

DigitalB

DigitalB

Banned
Awards
Whenever I know I'm going to have a heavy day for Squats or Deads, I always carb up on potatoes or oats..
I notice a big difference when I do..

But idk if that's what you mean by Power & Strength foods..

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Not specifically.

Having full glycogen stores and being hydrated are huge.

But if you want benefits from food you're better off buying a supplement more likely

So eat big before, and get your electrolytes and fluid.
Coffee helps too

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Not specifically.

Having full glycogen stores and being hydrated are huge.

But if you want benefits from food you're better off buying a supplement more likely

So eat big before, and get your electrolytes and fluid.
Coffee helps too
Is there a difference between eating big the day before or the day of or both?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Is there a difference between eating big the day before or the day of or both?
The day before should suffice if you maintain normal cals the day of

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fast food. Really is lol strength and power is about having extremely calorie dense food. Which is why some powerlifters are fat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Is this even such a thing? Like say for a person who wants to maintain weight for a certain class, would it's just be all calories and macros or are there foods that is better than others for strength and power?
Carbohydrates are your friend. I often get athletes to eat a handful of jellybeans pre lift or drink decarbonated coke

Ione

Awards
Just eat natural balanced diet that fulfils all your body's requirement especially carbs are good for generating energy.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Steakadrol

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
nutrient dense carbs an hour before is nice. I like my banana and a cup of nescafe.

Otherwise just remember all the foods you have been eating for the past 12 hrs or so is still being digested and used by the body. So don't be scared you won't run out of energy unless you are an endurance athlete. :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Not power and strength
But interesting to See almonds outperforming carbs before running in trained individuals

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/18

Not directly relevant here, but I feel people plug the "carb load" answer to everything.
I train better fasted

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I feel stronger when I have more fat in my diet. Avocados, fish...etc is good, but I've had some great workouts the day after pizza and beer cheat meals.

I know everyone has their favorite carb, but quinoa is the king in my opinion. You've got all the essential amino acids (rare for a plant) so you get the benefit of that in your muscles, plus for me the bioavailability of quinoa is off the charts. It's a night and day difference if I carb up with quinoa vs potatoes/rice. At this point the performance benefit has probably become psychological to an extent, but the pump and fullness I have when it's a staple in my diet is legit. It's expensive, but if you're serious about experimenting to get stronger you should definitely try a 1-1.5 cups of it 2-3 hrs before your workout.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Not power and strength
But interesting to See almonds outperforming carbs before running in trained individuals

Not directly relevant here, but I feel people plug the "carb load" answer to everything.
I train better fasted
When the majority of data supports a position, that position is the most accepted. Data does exist related to power output (been a while since I looked) but IIRC its very mixed.

Ill look into the almond text as it seems to have used cookies which are a mix of fat and cho which would delay digestion - you consime glucose packs/ coke etc during a race, not a cookie.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
When the majority of data supports a position, that position is the most accepted. Data does exist related to power output (been a while since I looked) but IIRC its very mixed. Ill look into the almond text as it seems to have used cookies which are a mix of fat and cho which would delay digestion - you consime glucose packs/ coke etc during a race, not a cookie.
Yes, i want further studies done, but still interesting

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not power and strength

I train better fasted
Interesting.

I perform better on days after my higher carb days compared to days after a lower carb day. For me, glycogen stores out weigh everything else, even eating pre workout.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Interesting. I perform better on days after my higher carb days compared to days after a lower carb day. For me, glycogen stores out weigh everything else, even eating pre workout.
Yessir
But a huge carb load is often more than needed unless you are dieting down

There is a maximum

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can stack steakadrol with almond-plex

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally find some great foods for power are oatmeal, coconut water, white potatoes and sweet potatoes, steak, eggs, bananas and brown rice. I hate to say it but the bro foods, and imo is mostly because of the micro nutritents that accompany them.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
The best pre WO meal I ever have is a large steak, rice and grass-fed butter with salt and a can of coke :) this sh#t does something lol and if you considered tren no ester food then add that too (half joking).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally find some great foods for power are oatmeal, coconut water, white potatoes and sweet potatoes, steak, eggs, bananas and brown rice. I hate to say it but the bro foods, and imo is mostly because of the micro nutritents that accompany them.
Alright BRO :p

Just be careful with a large bowl of oatmeal pre workout, I found out the hard way once!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Alright BRO :p

Just be careful with a large bowl of oatmeal pre workout, I found out the hard way once!
Lol ive been doing that large bowl with two scoops of select and hour before. Been killing it lately. Also sometimes fasted works well for me too. Just feel those clean carbs keep my glycogen full and my energy constant. The quick sugars are very inconsistent for me.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol ive been doing that large bowl with two scoops of select and hour before. Been killing it lately. Also sometimes fasted works well for me too. Just feel those clean carbs keep my glycogen full and my energy constant. The quick sugars are very inconsistent for me.
I would need 2 hours or more for a large bowl of oatmeal pre workout. Once I only waited an hour and while at the bottom of my squat, my oatmeal ended up on the mirror in front of me.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would need 2 hours or more for a large bowl of oatmeal pre workout. Once I only waited an hour and while at the bottom of my squat, my oatmeal ended up on the mirror in front of me.
Lmao. Dam bro. Thats a horror story.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fast food without a doubt. Pizza too. Getting bloated is pretty much the end goal here.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I wash my poptart before I eat it, does that make it "clean"?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
This made me laugh. Lol

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Not power and strength

JISSN | Full text | The effect of almond consumption on elements of endurance exercise performance in trained athletes

I train better fasted

I'm getting there, for a long time I never trained fasted, then switched to it due to time constraint, it was miserable at first but it's getting better.

I imagine a lot of people try it a couple times and be like f that this sucks, which is exactly how I felt at first. As with many things I think your body just has to adapt.

If I wash my poptart before I eat it, does that make it "clean"?

No but if you microwave it your good to go :D

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This made me laugh. Lol
I think it was a combo of that and also I was going for a new 1RM. My buddy, who was supposed to be spotting me, looked away and I got stuck in the hole. I dumped the weight and as soon as I looked up, it came up.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
As others have said, lots and lots of carbs lol....and completely anecdotally, sweet potatoes and beef. I always feel stronger when those are in my diet