nutritional beliefs you formerly held

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Just heard a guy talking about the importance of eating small meals every 3 hours and was like... people still believe that. Then thought about it and I believed that until only a few years ago. This got me thinking that could be an interesting topic hearing peoples old beliefs that they later learned were either wrong or inefficient or just dumb. Plus it'll be nice to have a thread in the nutrition thats not about ice cream or cheat meals haha. Ill start with one I held to for too long: carbs after 6 p.m. will make you fat. smh.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to be a real big proponent of keto dieting but have since relaxed my position on it.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been trough multiple phases...
All out bro bulk, drink, and party
Low carb
Paleo
Keto
I've found what works best is simply meeting macros and staying consistent with training and nutrition

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Paleo was a long phase for me,

Pounding a shake ASAP after a lift

Going catabolic without protein all day err' day

Thank god for meeting people like mr.cooper69 and realizing I needed to educate myself

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Paleo was a long phase for me, Pounding a shake ASAP after a lift Going catabolic without protein all day err' day Thank god for meeting people like mr.cooper69 and realizing I needed to educate myself
yeah leaving the military, going to school, and finding AM have all helped exponentially in trying to better understand nutrition

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Paleo was a long phase for me,

Pounding a shake ASAP after a lift

Going catabolic without protein all day err' day

Thank god for meeting people like mr.cooper69 and realizing I needed to educate myself
yeah this site and alot of the members here have taught me a lot. Yep i forgot about the post work out shake, that and the high sugar carbs for the insulin spike haha

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All of the broscience beliefs:

Need to eat every 2-3 hours
Never combine only protein and carbs
Eat only "clean" foods
Always eat pre bed/always casein before bed
Drink a protein shake in the middle of the night
Need to have a shake right after lifting

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just reading this thread alone I have already learned exponentially! thanks brothers!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Casein would be the primary one for me. Wasted a lot of money on it when I was young except for making pudding. I'm on the fence when it comes to meal frequency only because once you reach a certain level, you're left without a choice if you want to continue to progress. I was at a long all-around plateau because I was going too long between feedings (4-5 hours)

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thin keto still has its place for sure. I used to believe in the dirty bulks but then realized getting bloated and puffy ain't muscle ;)

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Casein would be the primary one for me. Wasted a lot of money on it when I was young except for making pudding. I'm on the fence when it comes to meal frequency only because once you reach a certain level, you're left without a choice if you want to continue to progress. I was at a long all-around plateau because I was going too long between feedings (4-5 hours)
I was going to bring up a similar point in regards to meal frequency. As with most questions on nutrition, context is needed before throwing out any kind of blanket statement/recommendation. I personally need to eat every 2-3 hours if I plan on hitting my target calories and making progress. Any less frequently or even sleeping in a couple hours becomes an issue. This is also a situation where a shake in the middle of the night can be put to good use as well, which I plan on doing when I need to increase calories again.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I was going to bring up a similar point in regards to meal frequency. As with most questions on nutrition, context is needed before throwing out any kind of blanket statement/recommendation. I personally need to eat every 2-3 hours if I plan on hitting my target calories and making progress. Any less frequently or even sleeping in a couple hours becomes an issue. This is also where a shake in the middle of the night can be put to good use as well, which I plan on doing when I need to increase calories again.
Context is always key. In soft sciences, we need to be adaptable and saying "you dont need food every 3 hours" depends entirely on the context

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1. I always heard carbs made you fat. Good thing I have been enlightened because carbs sure are tasty!

2. To lose weight you should follow a low fat diet. Same as above glad that phase is over.

3. A calorie is a calorie....

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Context is always key. In soft sciences, we need to be adaptable and saying "you dont need food every 3 hours" depends entirely on the context
Exactly. "It depends" is often the best initial response.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Exactly. "It depends" is often the best initial response.
After studying nutrition for a long time, attending many conferences with world leading experts from issues pertaining from obesity to athletes and everything in between, I can get entirely different approaches from any person in the room as to what is optimal for any situation.

Different schools of thought can achieve the same result (body comp wise) but where the differences lie is In how someone "feels" following a particular approach, whether it help or hinders their mindset etc etc.

on top of that, the people who say "you can eat a bit of bad food its algood and still get shredded" while true to a degree, does not take into account whether or not a bit of bad will help them or push them back as they cannot stop at just one.

TL;DR

Blanket statements are poo

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I hate this phrase used as a reference for exercise physiology.
Hahaha it is soft :D

If I get what you mean, do you hate it because we are all actually not that different?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even by the definition of soft and hard sciences (which in itself is stupid) it still isn't soft. It would be categorized as a hard science. We make testable predictions, perform controlled experiments a d rely on data obtained via the scientific method. Soft sciences are more of a reference to things like psych, sociology, economic science, political science, etc.

People who refer to ExPhys as a soft science (like Amir and his science hater crew) do so as a thinly veiled attempt to discredit research that conflicts with his personal outlook

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Even by the definition of soft and hard sciences (which in itself is stupid) it still isn't soft. It would be categorized as a hard science. We make testable predictions, perform controlled experiments a d rely on data obtained via the scientific method. Soft sciences are more of a reference to things like psych, sociology, economic science, political science, etc.

People who refer to ExPhys as a soft science (like Amir and his science hater crew) do so as a thinly veiled attempt to discredit research that conflicts with his personal outlook
Too right; I used the term incorrectly lol. I never use it to discredit it otherwise my life thus far has been a waste :(

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate this phrase used as a reference for exercise physiology.
Does it rustle you? We can't all be biochemists ;). But seriously, is soft science referring to a science being "easy"? No science is easy, except the science of communication, not with women of course.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't think food mattered; I thought the cell tech did all the work. :(

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Does it rustle you? We can't all be biochemists ;). But seriously, is soft science referring to a science being "easy"? No science is easy, except the science of communication, not with women of course.
We both study/studied ex phys :D

JJ defines hard sciences ^^ I call biology soft when it isnt. Its mostly because somethings behave differently under certain conditions as the body is a living, adaptive organism where a light bulb or a battery isn't.

Bad examples but a soft science is where its hard to get measurable data

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We both study/studied ex phys :D JJ defines hard sciences ^^ I call biology soft when it isnt. Its mostly because somethings behave differently under certain conditions as the body is a living, adaptive organism where a light bulb or a battery isn't. Bad examples but a soft science is where its hard to get measurable data
Ah the term "soft" doesn't seem correct in that context for some reason. Where'd that phrase come from?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
on top of that, the people who say "you can eat a bit of bad food its algood and still get shredded" while true to a degree, does not take into account whether or not a bit of bad will help them or push them back as they cannot stop at just one. TL;DR Blanket statements are poo
Good point, and one that I rarely see mentioned when people talk about how great IIFYM is. I know plenty of people who do very well fitting in a little "treat" each day, but I also know many who prefer more structure for the reason you mentioned (after trying both). Both approaches can work well, but good habits and discipline are still needed for success.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good point, and one that I rarely see mentioned when people talk about how great IIFYM is. I know plenty of people who do very well fitting in a little "treat" each day, but I also know many who prefer more structure for the reason you mentioned (after trying both). Both approaches can work well, but good habits and discipline are still needed for success.
Everyone I see, in my gym, who does IIFYM eats junk for 80% of their macros and they are delusional because they look like trash. My buddy is prepping for a show, 3 weeks out, does IIFYM/flexible dieting and looks great, very shredded. Agreed on good habits and disciple. If you're half assiing it in the gym and dink heavily, I don't care how clean or structured your diet is, you will most likely look like craaaaaaaap

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the problem also lies in people read "you don't need food every three hours" and then interpret that as "you shouldn't eat every 3 hours". So it is like some weird twisted opposite direction logic that occurs. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the problem also lies in people read "you don't need food every three hours" and then interpret that as "you shouldn't eat every 3 hours". So it is like some weird twisted opposite direction logic that occurs. ;)
There's also a tendency in this field for people desperately trying to prove that they're smarter than everyone. It's not easy to find innovation, but it is very easy to ruffle some feathers to make a name for yourself.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Good point.

Definitely see this all the time :D

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I still believe in post workout protein shake. I cnt let that go for some reason. I have let postworkout carb drinks go but protein I still do.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I still believe in post workout protein shake. I cnt let that go for some reason. I have let postworkout carb drinks go but protein I still do.
hey if you need that extra calories because you cant scarf down an extra 4oz of meat, then go for it! Shakes are an easy way to get cals when eating starts to get tough!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1) no carbs after 7pm lol
2) protein shake as soon as you wake
3) 2-3g protein per lb/bw

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's also a tendency in this field for people desperately trying to prove that they're smarter than everyone. It's not easy to find innovation, but it is very easy to ruffle some feathers to make a name for yourself.
Its social media. It changed things. It used to be that people got there 15 seconds of fame once in a while but with facebook, twitter, etc.. people are now striving for that 15 seconds of fame every day, multiple times a day. We have an environment that thrives off sh*t talking. The way you make a name for yourself is by attacking someone else. Look at this dumb fuk who has that ice cream youtube channel. He spews nonsense consistency but is loved across social media and I submit the only reason why people follow him is because he will do the occasional rant against the more established people. Seriously, join one of these fitness facebook groups and it is nothing but sh*t talking and mostly by people who dont know what the fuk they are talking about.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh and also thanks to things like blogs, we are now in an environment where everyone is an expert so we get people like food babe who are considered an authority by many despite absolutely no academic training in the field

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1) no carbs after 7pm lol
2) protein shake as soon as you wake
3) 2-3g protein per lb/bw
Damn, never heard that last one. Brb, eating nothing but boneless, skinless chicken breasts all day lol

D

DB1219

Awards
Just heard a guy talking about the importance of eating small meals every 3 hours and was like... people still believe that. Then thought about it and I believed that until only a few years ago. This got me thinking that could be an interesting topic hearing peoples old beliefs that they later learned were either wrong or inefficient or just dumb. Plus it'll be nice to have a thread in the nutrition thats not about ice cream or cheat meals haha. Ill start with one I held to for too long: carbs after 6 p.m. will make you fat. smh.
Great subject. I remember one about how Japanese sumo wrestlers got so big: The author noted they ate very little all day long, worked out strenuously and then ate a lot in the evening. Presto - that was how THEY got so fat. The point of the article was we can avoid gaining weight by not eating our largest meal in the evening. Never mind the 7,000 calories consisting of 80% carbohydrates they were shoveling in.

The sad part is that the scientists, doctors and medical researchers that actually conducted good science in the study of obesity were (still are) ignored. That's why so much misinformation is out there.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn, never heard that last one. Brb, eating nothing but boneless, skinless chicken breasts all day lol
lol could you imagine? 300g protein for a 150lb male haha

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its social media. It changed things. It used to be that people got there 15 seconds of fame once in a while but with facebook, twitter, etc.. people are now striving for that 15 seconds of fame every day, multiple times a day. We have an environment that thrives off sh*t talking. The way you make a name for yourself is by attacking someone else. Look at this dumb fuk who has that ice cream youtube channel. He spews nonsense consistency but is loved across social media and I submit the only reason why people follow him is because he will do the occasional rant against the more established people. Seriously, join one of these fitness facebook groups and it is nothing but sh*t talking and mostly by people who dont know what the fuk they are talking about.
Sigh. I hate social media.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh and also thanks to things like blogs, we are now in an environment where everyone is an expert so we get people like food babe who are considered an authority by many despite absolutely no academic training in the field
It's definitely created an environment for charlatans to thrive and prey on the less educated.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I'm another guy that just can't let of his post workout shake. I'm pretty sure it's more because i'm always hungry after a workout and it stops me from reaching from stuff I probably shouldn't eat.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm another guy that just can't let of his post workout shake. I'm pretty sure it's more because i'm always hungry after a workout and it stops me from reaching from stuff I probably shouldn't eat.
So am I. And I will never change that.

What works for some might not work for others. Simple.

I go with what worked for me. I never go by others especially when they have no type of physique and always looked the same for months/years lol.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
That was implied lol. Like Simon panda, rob riches, ulisess whayever his last name is, ct fletcher, mike Rashad, etc
Yep! There is no way possible that simeon panda and ulisess grant is natty!

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
That was implied lol. Like Simon panda, rob riches, ulisess whayever his last name is, ct fletcher, mike Rashad, etc
What about chris jones? What you think about him!l?

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How about you should only eat a max of 2 whole eggs per day.

Or pork will give you high blood pressure

B

Battossi

Awards
Oh god...Let's see...like the op..

I was way to concerned about meal timing. Other than that..

I was obsessed with eating organic until I talked to someone who works for the usda now I buy regular eggs and milk..

I used to think low carb/keto was the only way to lose weight.
I used to believe that you can target different parts of the quad but muscle mechanisms have taught me different.

I used to believe in extra bcaas in the form of intra workout.

I used to believe that carbs during training was a one way ticket to gain town.

I used to believe that if I ran on the treadmill for 3 hours at full speed I could stuff myself and not gain weight.
I used to believe that you have to lose muscle and get weaker on a cut.
I used to believe everyone on steroids was lazy or a douche.
I used to believe that you could permanently damage your metabolism.
I used to believe that going to the gym 6x a week had benefits.
I used to worry about insulin and /or try to manipulate the Insulin response which is a non issue with natural lifters.
More lol. But the shame.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I have been sabotaging my results for about 8 months now and have just recently decided to put an end to it. I've been doing a 22 hour fast and eating only from 8-10 p.m. Basically living off alphamine during the day, a pwo with lots of caffeine, and some Amino IV intra. Food is 95% clean, which has allowed me to maintain low bf (I'm 5'7", 160# and roughly 10% but have gotten as low as 8%). I lift 4 days/week following 5/3/1 and do crossfit metcons 2-3. Not only has my eating style been crap, but I don't rest nearly enough. I look good, but feel bad.

I employed this bastardized version of the warrior diet last year and it seemed to fit my lifestyle so I rolled with it. What ended up happening is that food became a psychological reward for making it through a full day of work and a brutal training session. "Just make it to 8 p.m., then you can eat and relax." Like I said, I was eating clean so I didn't get fat, but I wasn't eating enough or often enough to sustain growth and progress in strength. I would also go to bed bloated as hell every night, not sleep well and wake up lethargic.

Now I am going to go back to a 50/30/20 split and see what happens. Meal timing will be more frequently throughout the day. I like to train fasted, so I will probably switch to mornings before work. I'm going to focus on more lean meats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa and healthy fats. I am hoping to put on some lean mass and start making progress in strength and metcons.

Haha, wish me luck!