Active rest day?

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I typically work out 6 days a week, isolated body part sessions with 3-4 days of cardio. included in that 6 is an abs day.

I have a pretty sedentary job and work long hours so not much activity outside of my gym sessions. The end result is a lower total caloric intake to suit.

Should I do a cardio session on the 7th day or keep a complete rest day?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
no need for a seperate AB day just do like 3-4 sets after a workout and call it that.
always take a rest day unless your deep into prep or cutting, Rest is the most overlooked aspect.
need to fuel the gas tank sometime.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally can relate to your situation. I do active rest days and listen to my body. If i dont take a true rest day after about 7 to 10 days my body lets me know. At that point i might take two or three straight to reset.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good advice here, thanks guys.

I'm going to make that switch to incorporate abs into my other workout days. With that change I think I will feel that a full rest day will be needed. Always appreciate the help on the forums.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i take at least 1-2 a week. Body needs some time to rest and recover. you grow out of the gym not in the gym.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i take at least 1-2 a week. Body needs some time to rest and recover. you grow out of the gym not in the gym.
I used to eat really low carb/calorie on rest days. But felt so crap and realized that was hindering progress so I treat every day the same now. Even keep carbs up on rest days...

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I used to eat really low carb/calorie on rest days. But felt so crap and realized that was hindering progress so I treat every day the same now. Even keep carbs up on rest days...
Well, are you carb cycling? Maybe try that... It seems to work for a lot of people and it has worked well for me

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do carb cycle but I don't go much lower than 75g, even on rest days because I just feel way too lethargic.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I have a desk job too and that is a killer. I work out 4 days a week but I play hockey 3 days a week, twice a week on my lunch with the guys I work with. I need 2 full rest days a week or I have a hard time getting any leg work in. The desk job is killer on the hips and back if you let it be.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
listen to your damn body.
Right on man! Years ago I didn't as much as I should have but now always have the long term in mind.

Sometimes I have to ignore my stomach though.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While I don't think you have to do exactly as it is laid out, the ideas/concepts behind this are a good start: http://dsstrength.com/active-rest-day-routine/

Treat your rest day as a rest day...meaning use it to properly fuel recovery and prepare you for future training sessions. De-stress, stretch out tight/over-active muscles, clear your mind, maybe even get a little easy (key word) exercise to encourage blood flow and recovery.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I do carb cycle but I don't go much lower than 75g, even on rest days because I just feel way too lethargic.
If you carb cycle, you shouldn't be having these consistent issues. In other words, the high carb day should be compared to a re-feed day of carbs allowing you to feel better.

You might have a higher activity level than you want to give your self. If that's the case, recalculate your macros and try those numbers out for a couple of weeks

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you carb cycle, you shouldn't be having these consistent issues. In other words, the high carb day should be compared to a re-feed day of carbs allowing you to feel better.

You might have a higher activity level than you want to give your self. If that's the case, recalculate your macros and try those numbers out for a couple of weeks
I basically tried what your suggesting before. I just feel a little bit better not going too low on low carb days.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I basically tried what your suggesting before. I just feel a little bit better not going too low on low carb days.
I think we're saying the same thing here...

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
For an active recovery day no matter what you do remember yo keep intensity super low.
Personally I usually do weighted stretches and might work on some light technique stuff.
If you do an active rest day then you should also throw in an epsom salt bath if you can.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try yoga for rest days... seriously. I know a few guys who swear by it.

max d

Awards
  • Established
I second the yoga/stretching and some movement/very light weight on any really sore body parts... But sometimes u need a complete day on the couch and be a bum. Will get u ready to hit the weights again the next day!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I typically work out 6 days a week, isolated body part sessions with 3-4 days of cardio. included in that 6 is an abs day.

I have a pretty sedentary job and work long hours so not much activity outside of my gym sessions. The end result is a lower total caloric intake to suit.

Should I do a cardio session on the 7th day or keep a complete rest day?
Any recreational activities you like that you can get lost in for a few hours? Heck I even swim sometimes, it feels amazing and does wonders for the body and mind to dedicate more time to something you just enjoy doing.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any recreational activities you like that you can get lost in for a few hours? Heck I even swim sometimes, it feels amazing and does wonders for the body and mind to dedicate more time to something you just enjoy doing.
In the summer i'll usually get outside much more, but the winter kills me. I do yoga once a week to stretch out and stay active outside of gym. Maybe next winter I'll look into indoor soccer.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
^^^^ Perhaps one of the most overlooked things
Rumble Rolling/Foam Rolling + Stretching on off days does wonders.
throw in some ART like a deep tissue massage once a month and that will aid recovery greatly.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do hot yoga and love it. It's good cardio and stretching. I find it way better than other forms of yoga. It has done wonders for my flexibility.