Eat more or not?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Calories/diet question: I have increased my calories slightly, mostly by increasing carbs. I was at 2-2,500 calories with carbs around 65-160. Now I am at 2,500-2,750 calories with carbs around 150-275. My weight has leveled off at 177lbs and has even fluctuated on the lesser side by a pound or two on any given day. I am not looking to lose weight at the moment. My goal is to add strength and size. What should I do? I am 6' tall if that matters and about 12-14% bf.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Calories/diet question: I have increased my calories slightly, mostly by increasing carbs. I was at 2-2,500 calories with carbs around 65-160. Now I am at 2,500-2,750 calories with carbs around 150-275. My weight has leveled off at 177lbs and has even fluctuated on the lesser side by a pound or two on any given day. I am not looking to lose weight at the moment. My goal is to add strength and size. What should I do? I am 6' tall if that matters and about 12-14% bf.
I would keep pushing it up by 100 calories every week or two. See how much your body can handle without spilling over into fat. You need the week to let you body adjust.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I would keep pushing it up by 100 calories every week or two. See how much your body can handle without spilling over into fat. You need the week to let you body adjust.
I think I have messed my metabolism up in the past. What you suggest sounds good. It seems I should continue to creep it up and establish a baseline. I am happy with 200-230 grams of protein. Should I be increasing my carbs and fats or just carbs? My fats goal is 92 grams and carbs 275.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I wouldn't go any higher on the fats. You can go to 105 or so but that's pretty much all I would do.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't go any higher on the fats. You can go to 105 or so but that's pretty much all I would do.
What why?

Ya OP add more if you aren't gaining and want to.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
What why? Ya OP add more if you aren't gaining and want to.
What's "OP"? I probably should know the answer, but obviously I don't

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're looking to gain and not lose, which you stated, increase your cals. Depending on where your protein intake is currently, I would increase it in the form of carbs.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think I have messed my metabolism up in the past. What you suggest sounds good. It seems I should continue to creep it up and establish a baseline. I am happy with 200-230 grams of protein. Should I be increasing my carbs and fats or just carbs? My fats goal is 92 grams and carbs 275.
I would equally add more calories. Or just add in a lean chicken or fish woth olive oil, sweet potato and vegtables meal. I personally would add in more protein. Remember carbs are energy, and fat is very nutrient dense... Just make your additions moderate at first and basically reverse diet till you reach a good point to maintain. Then either keep going to bulk etc.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
If you're looking to gain and not lose, which you stated, increase your cals. Depending on where your protein intake is currently, I would increase it in the form of carbs.
This was my point to the guy who quoted me and said "why"

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This was my point to the guy who quoted me and said "why"[/QUOTE
Just wondering why he shouldn't increase his fats past a certain point is all.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
To Bolt10 because I can't quote you:

I've tried high fat diets and they really just weren't my thing. I'm 5'9 170 and I've noticed my magic number on a bulk is 100-105. On a cut im around 85-90

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To Bolt10 because I can't quote you:

I've tried high fat diets and they really just weren't my thing. I'm 5'9 170 and I've noticed my magic number on a bulk is 100-105. On a cut im around 85-90
Ok no problem. Just wondering, because fats are what change the most for me between bulking and cutting and I don't really think a specific end point (top number) matters too much for it. Glad you've found what works for you though as well.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I agree with EMPIREMIND, you should try reverse dieting your way up.
If you have been stuck at your current weight for a while then try adding 200 cal. for the first week and assess after that. You want to end up gaining ~.5-.7 pounds a week, that is what I understand to be most optimal. Try to be conscious of sodium intake as well, not saying reduce it, but be conscious of how it will affect your weight. For that reason it is best if you can weigh yourself daily to better assess at the end of the week, but hold off on changes until the full week is over. Keep adding 50-100 cals a week until you hit that .5-.7 gain and then hold calories there until you gain less than .5 pounds over a week.
Macro wise, mainly increase carbs. For each 100 calories you add try something like, 18g carbs/ 2g fat/ rest protein(almost 3 grams).

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Thanks for all the advice. Does this say anything about my metabolism? I increased my calories yesterday by 600. I ate oatmeal and drank a protein shake at 9pm. I weighed myself before bed at 178.8. I weighed myself when I woke up at 177lbs (before using the bathroom). I probably dropped 2 lbs over night. Is this metabolism or something else?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the advice. Does this say anything about my metabolism? I increased my calories yesterday by 600. I ate oatmeal and drank a protein shake at 9pm. I weighed myself before bed at 178.8. I weighed myself when I woke up at 177lbs (before using the bathroom). I probably dropped 2 lbs over night. Is this metabolism or something else?
Water and glycogen. Your weight fluctuates +\- some amount depending on what you eat. When you have a consistent diet you can find thy number. I fluctuate 2-4 lbs usually. 210 at night and 205/206 in the AM.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weight will usually be lowest upon waking. That is why I usually weight myself then (it also tends to be the most "constant" weight with less variables to change it). FWIW I'd pick a couple days (mornings) and weigh yourself then.

FWIW on the added calories I'd go mainly from carbohydrates/fats because you appear to be getting plenty of protein already.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weight will usually be lowest upon waking. That is why I usually weight myself then (it also tends to be the most "constant" weight with less variables to change it). FWIW I'd pick a couple days (mornings) and weigh yourself then. FWIW on the added calories I'd go mainly from carbohydrates/fats because you appear to be getting plenty of protein already.
Dis right here he dat gewd advice bruddah (African voice)

As long as your protein is 1.5x you're set for protein, 1x will cut it to.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Overnight i fluctuate like crazy. Water weight and food will have you all screwed up. I like to pick a day and weight myself same time, same day every week. But also everyday same time and taking an average might be good as well. Carbs especially cause you to hold water. After my carb refeeds i can gain up to ten pound sometimes, which goes away in a few days just from the water. Dont get worried, but imo i think a 600 calorie jump is kinda high. If your in bulk mode then watever, but if its lean gains and you think your metabolism is off, i would take it slow just to learn where your body is at. Good luck bro

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I only jumped 600 because I planned to set new 1 rep max for bench, deadlift and squat. I figured the extra carbs might help. It's seems it did. I will only increase 250 calories and see how that goes. Thanks for all the feedback

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I only jumped 600 because I planned to set new 1 rep max for bench, deadlift and squat. I figured the extra carbs might help. It's seems it did. I will only increase 250 calories and see how that goes. Thanks for all the feedback
Thats whats up. Whats are your numbers at?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Thats whats up. Whats are your numbers at?
BW: 177lbs, BF: 12.4, bb bench press: 270, squat 250x2 (below parallel), deadlift: 355. Increased 45lbs combined after 3 weeks.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BW: 177lbs, BF: 12.4, bb bench press: 270, squat 250x2 (below parallel), deadlift: 355. Increased 45lbs combined after 3 weeks.
Damn bro thats whats up. Strong for your weight. I just hit some good numbers myself recently.

im 6ft 225 15bf. Squat 405 for 5 at parallel, trying to get lower... Dem knees tho, deads 455 for 2, bench.... Another story, recovering from a shoulder injury. Dont go for heavy weights currently, used to be 315 for 1... Cant claim that right now tho

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Damn bro thats whats up. Strong for your weight. I just hit some good numbers myself recently. im 6ft 225 15bf. Squat 405 for 5 at parallel, trying to get lower... Dem knees tho, deads 455 for 2, bench.... Another story, recovering from a shoulder injury. Dont go for heavy weights currently, used to be 315 for 1... Cant claim that right now tho
Thanks. You have some great numbers yourself

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks. You have some great numbers yourself
Thanks man, the bench really bothers me though, this shoulder thing really pushed me back. Now im reprogramming myself to bench with a narrower grip, same with overhead press.

Anyways keep up the good work, hope the diet gets better for you.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Thanks man, the bench really bothers me though, this shoulder thing really pushed me back. Now im reprogramming myself to bench with a narrower grip, same with overhead press. Anyways keep up the good work, hope the diet gets better for you.
I had shoulder and bicep surgery. I bench with medium grip now and find it has helped. I will update now and again as I move my calories around. Aiming at 3,000 right now. I'm interested to see if my weight begins to creep up at this amount. I think it's going to

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Back at it today 3 HPTA, 3 Volume and 2 Psyched 20 minutes before my workout and went in feeling great. BW is at 180 lbs now and BF was 12% this morning. I'm still playing with my calories. I'm going to stay at 3,000 for 3 more days (1 week total) and see what my weight goes. I have gained 3 pounds sense I increased from 2,500 to 3,000.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Back at it today 3 HPTA, 3 Volume and 2 Psyched 20 minutes before my workout and went in feeling great. BW is at 180 lbs now and BF was 12% this morning. I'm still playing with my calories. I'm going to stay at 3,000 for 3 more days (1 week total) and see what my weight goes. I have gained 3 pounds sense I increased from 2,500 to 3,000.
Could be water from the carbs... Sounds like your doing good bro

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Could be water from the carbs... Sounds like your doing good bro
ok, thanks. I will just continue as planned. It's great to get feedback. I really appreciate it

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
It seems my weight gain has stalled at 179.4-180lbs. I have been here for 4 days now at 3,000 calories. I am going to continue with 3,000 until Friday. I think I will add some cardio in starting Saturday: 25 minutes steady state on treadmill, 3 times per week. I would like to see what this does to my weight at 3,000 calories

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Four days isn't a long time to watch for weight changes. Three pounds in four days isn't tissue, it's water, glycogen, and food in your gut. Wait it out at least two weeks (I think?) and then assess from there.

When I cut weight for a meet I'll lose 20lbs in a week and put it all back on in 24 hours. That's how much easily rid (relatively speaking) glycogen and water is floating around in your body. I check weight multiple times a day due to habit, but twice a week seems to be best to factor out the different variables in your weight.

It's perfectly normal to lose two pounds at night or even a half pound in a couple hours of doing nothing from respiration or whatever it is. I don't know the science behind it, I just know from having to make weight twice a week for 12 years.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It seems my weight gain has stalled at 179.4-180lbs. I have been here for 4 days now at 3,000 calories. I am going to continue with 3,000 until Friday. I think I will add some cardio in starting Saturday: 25 minutes steady state on treadmill, 3 times per week. I would like to see what this does to my weight at 3,000 calories
I think thats a great idea. Health wise and with the increase in cals, it will help keep your metabolism going.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Thanks herderdude and EMPIREMIND for the recent help. Actually, I want to thank everyone who has offered advice. That's what I appreciate so much about AM. I've messed my metabolism up so bad and now, from what I'm learning here, might have a chance at figuring things out with my calories so that I can reach optimal performance some day. Hopefully I can use what I'm learning to help others some day :)

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks herderdude and EMPIREMIND for the recent help. Actually, I want to thank everyone who has offered advice. That's what I appreciate so much about AM. I've messed my metabolism up so bad and now, from what I'm learning here, might have a chance at figuring things out with my calories so that I can reach optimal performance some day. Hopefully I can use what I'm learning to help others some day :)
Glad to hear it helped. Keep me posted how things are going for you.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Glad to hear it helped. Keep me posted how things are going for you.
Definitely. I will keep updating here as I make adjustments. I can use all the help I can get :)

D

DB1219

Awards
Four days isn't a long time to watch for weight changes. Three pounds in four days isn't tissue, it's water, glycogen, and food in your gut. Wait it out at least two weeks (I think?) and then assess from there.

When I cut weight for a meet I'll lose 20lbs in a week and put it all back on in 24 hours. That's how much easily rid (relatively speaking) glycogen and water is floating around in your body. I check weight multiple times a day due to habit, but twice a week seems to be best to factor out the different variables in your weight.

It's perfectly normal to lose two pounds at night or even a half pound in a couple hours of doing nothing from respiration or whatever it is. I don't know the science behind it, I just know from having to make weight twice a week for 12 years.
I agree. EMPIREMIND said it earlier. Carbs hold a lot of water so these day-to-day variations are likely fluid primarily. I am in a similar situation as you Mark. I have been fasting and this actually reduces appetite for me. I don't track Macros, but prefer low-carb fair. My BF is 15%. I was 164 ealier this week which is about as light as I have ever been. I my strength/muscle size has stalled I believe because I am not eating enough. I started increasing protein and carb this week and I feel like my muscles feel bigger/fuller. The advice here is great. I am going to increase protein and actually track it for awhile and see if that helps.

Gh0st3ml0c

Gh0st3ml0c

Awards
Personally I would taper calories up until you find your Goldie locks zone..... Also you could look into dialing up carbs on workout days and dialing up data on days you don't I picked up that from the "Leangains diet" and actually still incorporate it to this day.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Sorry guys. I unsubscribed to this by accident and missed some of your posts. So, here is my recent happenings. I maintained 3,000 calories for about 12 days and my weight moved up and maintained 180lbs. I got sick and my calories where 1,500-2,000 because I had no appetite. I didn't train or anything for 6 days either. I have also stopped all supplements (today is day 10 of that). I started Ergonine again today and I'm waiting for Revolution from FinaFlex to arrive. My body weight today is 174.5lbs. Strength seems to be close to the same. I will try and eat 2,750 calories starting today. Macros : 206 protein, 309 carbs, 76 fats.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry guys. I unsubscribed to this by accident and missed some of your posts. So, here is my recent happenings. I maintained 3,000 calories for about 12 days and my weight moved up and maintained 180lbs. I got sick and my calories where 1,500-2,000 because I had no appetite. I didn't train or anything for 6 days either. I have also stopped all supplements (today is day 10 of that). I started Ergonine again today and I'm waiting for Revolution from FinaFlex to arrive. My body weight today is 174.5lbs. Strength seems to be close to the same. I will try and eat 2,750 calories starting today. Macros : 206 protein, 309 carbs, 76 fats.
Hope you feel better. Probly just food and water weight u lost.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Hope you feel better. Probly just food and water weight u lost.
Thanks. I'm feeling much better. Workout went well. You can check that out in my signature. I'd say the same about the food and water. Hopefully I can figure some things out over the next 8 weeks or so. I'm thinking about cutting after that. I can't say that I have really had the results I have desired on any cut yet. I'm hoping you guys might guide me along as that time approaches.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks. I'm feeling much better. Workout went well. You can check that out in my signature. I'd say the same about the food and water. Hopefully I can figure some things out over the next 8 weeks or so. I'm thinking about cutting after that. I can't say that I have really had the results I have desired on any cut yet. I'm hoping you guys might guide me along as that time approaches.
I would start sooner than later if thats the case. Sometimes the cut can take longer if your not 100 percent dialed into your body and routine and know exactly what to do. It can take time to get on track. Anyone can lode weight, but cutting fat and fat only is a skill to say the least.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I would start sooner than later if thats the case. Sometimes the cut can take longer if your not 100 percent dialed into your body and routine and know exactly what to do. It can take time to get on track. Anyone can lode weight, but cutting fat and fat only is a skill to say the least.
I want to gain as much strength as I can using Revolution over the next eight weeks or so. That's why I was going to wait to start cutting. I have no deadline or time goals for cutting either. I would like to learn the most effective way for me to lose bodyfat and maintain as much strength and muscle as possible (I'm sure this is everyone's goal). Whatever information I can give you guys to best be able to get me prepared for cutting, just ask :) Thanks in advance

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I want to gain as much strength as I can using Revolution over the next eight weeks or so. That's why I was going to wait to start cutting. I have no deadline or time goals for cutting either. I would like to learn the most effective way for me to lose bodyfat and maintain as much strength and muscle as possible (I'm sure this is everyone's goal). Whatever information I can give you guys to best be able to get me prepared for cutting, just ask :) Thanks in advance
Nice. I heard about revoloution, im interested in seeing how it works for you. Im sure these guys got some good info on cutting. I always need some tips myself.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Well, I haven't been eating more. I am still around 2,000 calories. Weight has dropped down to a steady 175lbs and strength has remained the same. Calories are only low because I've been sick. I want to get them between 2,500-2,750. I should be back on track soon.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I'm at 2,500 calories right now and steady at 175-178lbs. Strength is increasing and I'm looking a bit leaner. I may introduce some cardio soon.