SODIUM intake?

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
What's everyone's opinion and stance on sodium, or more specifically SALT? ...especially when cutting or attempting to lose weight.

I don't believe it's the enemy it was once made out to be but are you all careful with your intake or you slap that stuff on steaks, veggies, EVERYTHING!

I've been using Pink Himalayan Rock Salt for a few years now, and I must admit I find around dinner time I use a fair bit.

Does this contribute to water retention or puffiness and is it hindering my results?

Would love to hear from those more educated on the subject than I am :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Es it can contribute to fluid retention.
But the people effected by this are usually the ones trying to avoid salt.

Your body is very good at adapting and maintaing hemeostasis.
Ie. If you drink more, you urinate more,

If you consume less salt, it excretes less sodium.
Then when you do break down and have salt your body is in a state of trying to retain it, and you will puff up good.

IMO stick to the dietary guidelines of about 2300mg daily.
Also consume enough potassium.

Salt intake in no way effects fat loss or gan, so just don't stress over it brother

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Es it can contribute to fluid retention.
But the people effected by this are usually the ones trying to avoid salt.

Your body is very good at adapting and maintaing hemeostasis.
Ie. If you drink more, you urinate more,

If you consume less salt, it excretes less sodium.
Then when you do break down and have salt your body is in a state of trying to retain it, and you will puff up good.

IMO stick to the dietary guidelines of about 2300mg daily.
Also consume enough potassium.

Salt intake in no way effects fat loss or gan, so just don't stress over it brother
Thanks mate.

I do tend to eat a fair bit of mushrooms, bananas, yoghurt, fish, and potatoes so that should cover me for potassium yeah?

I don't like calorie counting or anything to be honest, that's why I'll never be a pro but how do you work out roughly what 2300mg is when you're just cracking it over food?

That seems... difficult, to say the least.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Adding table salt to food adds up very very fast.
I would just say try to use moderation.

Or try out a salt substitute

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
i use to freak out and limit my sodium but now i snapped into reality and my stance is stay consistent, and your body adjusts, don't go up by 1000 grams one day and then 1100 down the next day, stay in the same ball park and you will be perfectly fine

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Thanks for the input guys!

I must say I'm relatively consistent with my intake because I'm eating a lot of the same food each day, so I guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing and when I eventually get down to my ideal body weight/composition I can look closer at my intake if it still means much to me or requires attention.

vvs1

Awards
Anyone know about iodine supplementation?

I was reading an article on anabolic men about unblocking testosterone receptors. Basically bromide and fluoride attach and calcify to receptors and iodine helps remove them.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know about iodine supplementation? I was reading an article on anabolic men about unblocking testosterone receptors. Basically bromide and fluoride attach and calcify to receptors and iodine helps remove them.
IMO addition iodine isn't necessary in amounts you're probably looking at using along with every day use

There are some studies showing an increase in TSH which is not good

Superman_777

Awards
Do not ever supplement with iodine orally, it is highly concentrated and will be toxic to the body, especially the kidneys. If your going to do so, start slowly and put a quarter sized dot on your stomach area (transdermally) and the body will absorb what it needs. If you are defficient, the orange spot on your stomach will be gone soon (perhaps by the next day). If you are not, it will still be there...These people who are pushing iodine as a oral supplement work are engaging in corrupt alternative medicine, there are some doctors (dr. Weil) who gets big kickbacks from lugols. I have been using alt. medicine for years, and there is a right way to practice it, and a wrong way to do it for profit..wherever there is money to be made there is corruption and greed. I have used iodine myself, and yes most foods in the supermarket minus the raw produce or organic (becareful on this one as many claim to be organic but are not, more so deceptive marketing), are gmo, radiated and chemically engineered and stripped of the vital minerals, vitamins, and nutrients we need, take some of our bread as an example, no longer containing iodide, but bromide

vvs1

Awards
I've been adding iodized sea salt to my water occasionally over the last week.

Thanks for the info. I just got my iodine in the mail and have yet to use it. Would you recommend using it transdermally until it's unabsorbed?

Superman_777

Awards
Glad to see your using sea salt. Yes, use it transdermally to see if you are deficient. Most people are deficient in iodine. You can do this to find out. Apply the 2% topical iodine in a circular area that is about (2 inches) on the stomach and allow it to completely dry before putting on any clothes again (it will stain).
Check to see if it almost completely disappears in 12 hours.
If the iodine disappears within 12 hours, then the you are iodine deficient. This method works due to the fact that the skin absorbs iodine at the rate at which it is needed. Whenever a person is ill, transdermal iodine will absorb especially rapidly because iodine helps to produce the hormones that fuel the immune system.