Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Small Amounts of Gluten in Subjects with Suspected Nonceliac Gluten... - PubMed - NCBI
Small Amounts of Gluten in Subjects with Suspected Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Cross-Over Trial.

Abstract

BACKGROUND & AIMS:
There is debate over the existence of nonceliac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) -intestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms in response to ingestion of gluten-containing foods by people without celiac disease or wheat allergy. We performed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial to determine the effects of administration of low doses of gluten to subjects with suspected NCGS.

METHODS:
We enrolled 61 adults without celiac disease or wheat allergy who believe ingestion of gluten-containing food to be the cause of their intestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms. Participants were randomly assigned to groups given either 4.375 g/day gluten or rice starch (placebo) for 1 week, each via gastro-soluble capsules. After a 1 week of gluten-free diet, participants crossed over to the other group. The primary outcome was the change in overall (intestinal and extra-intestinal) symptoms, determined by established scoring systems, between gluten and placebo intake. A secondary outcome was the change in individual symptom scores between gluten vs placebo.

RESULTS:
According to the per-protocol analysis of data from the 59 patients who completed the trial, intake of gluten significantly increased overall symptoms compared with placebo (P=.034). Abdominal bloating (P=.040) and pain (P=.047), among the intestinal symptoms, and foggy mind (P=.019), depression (P=.020), and aphthous stomatitis (P=.025), among the extra-intestinal symptoms, were significantly more severe when subjects received gluten than placebo.

CONCLUSIONS:
In a cross-over trial of subjects with suspected NCGS, the severity of overall symptoms increased significantly during 1 week of intake of small amounts of gluten, compared with placebo
will get into it later on when I get a chance to sit and read it more thoroughly but pretty much NCGS appears o be a reality

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Lol I can't help but think of the episode of south park that talks about the gluten free craze... Although I do want to try going gluten free for a week or 2 to see if I notice anything different.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am curious to see the way experts discuss this. :)

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for info. This is interesting. I tried gluten free oatmeal for a week, didn't change anything.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
A week??! Maybe you guys are joking, but honestly that's like saying I'll take this fat burner for a week and if I don't have a six pack by the end of it then it doesn't work lol!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for info. This is interesting. I tried gluten free oatmeal for a week, didn't change anything.
Oats have skmething called avenin in it which is very similar to gluten

Oats **** my stomach up bad

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i believe this is 100%... I have a intolerance to soy and I find symptoms (ie. Bloating and abdominal pain) are aggravated when I consume anything with soy & gluten.

However, I can eat foods with gluten without an adverse reaction.