Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
US Government Proposes "Sugary-Food Tax" To Curb Obesity

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-19/us-government-proposes-sugary-food-tax-curb-obesity

The totalitarian arm of the ever-growing government appears to know no limit. In today's "oh no they didn't" moment, the US Government's diet panel has dictated proposed one more oppression of American's freedom to choose:

*GOV'T PANEL PROPOSES SUGARY-FOOD TAX TO FUND NUTRITION PROGRAMS, CURB OBESITY
On the bright side, the government approves of "lean meat" as compatible with healthy eating. The bill, introduced by Rep. Juan Candelaria, D-New Haven, would impose a tax of 1 cent per ounce on soft drinks - including sweetened teas, energy drinks and soda - and candies that are high in sugar and calories.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is so backwards. Instead of addressing one or more of the root causes (targeted ads, unhealthy ingredients, etc) this will just perpetuate the problem.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Way to screw over some diabetics too, a friend of mine walks around 24/7 with sugary candy on hand

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This is so backwards. Instead of addressing one or more of the root causes (targeted ads, unhealthy ingredients, etc) this will just perpetuate the problem.
This is one initiative I am not AS against as the "anti-fat" one that has been running rampant for a long while. Unless you are active, a lot of sugar creates ALOT of problems and unfortunately it is a key contributor to heart disease (you can read up on sugar and triglyceride interactions on pubmed or another database) as well as other issues relating to obesity itself (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/899/F1.expansion.html).

HFCS and Sucrose (which IMO should be the target over other sugar forms) have been correlated (with a ton of backing data) with causing hyperinsulinemia, hypertension and an increase in blood triglcyerides.

Whether or not it causes obesity over other 'diets' (especially if calories are equated) is one thing, but HFCS and Sucrose inclusion in EVERYTHING makes them a key contributor to poor health outcomes.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is one initiative I am not AS against as the "anti-fat" one that has been running rampant for a long while. Unless you are active, a lot of sugar creates ALOT of problems and unfortunately it is a key contributor to heart disease (you can read up on sugar and triglyceride interactions on pubmed or another database) as well as other issues relating to obesity itself (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/899/F1.expansion.html).

HFCS and Sucrose (which IMO should be the target over other sugar forms) have been correlated (with a ton of backing data) with causing hyperinsulinemia, hypertension and an increase in blood triglcyerides.

Whether or not it causes obesity over other 'diets' (especially if calories are equated) is one thing, but HFCS and Sucrose inclusion in EVERYTHING makes them a key contributor to poor health outcomes.
I totally agree, but will a 1% tax really serve as deterrent? Wouldn't it be better to provide more education and controls on manufacturers?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Its only a ploy to increase taxes... id tax the chit out of cigarettes personally

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I totally agree, but will a 1% tax really serve as deterrent? Wouldn't it be better to provide more education and controls on manufacturers?
Cost is huge for that and to be fair i bet this wont pass. Coke and pepsi have far too much control

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... id tax the chit out of cigarettes personally
They do!

Now they gonna tax yo orange juice too biatches! No mo high shugga drinks for you fat boy, and gonna ban slurppies at the same time also, just so you know who the boss is ;)