Chipolte, How Many Calories Do People Really Eat?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
At Chipotle, How Many Calories Do People Really Eat?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/17/upshot/what-do-people-actually-order-at-chipotle.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Most meals have more than 1,000 calories and almost a full day’s worth of sodium.

When you step into a typical chain restaurant, you have a wide array of meal options, ranging from fairly healthful to downright gluttonous. This is particularly true at the rapidly growing type of restaurants known as fast casual, like Chipotle, where you can order a burrito many thousands of ways.

With the help of a large sample of online orders, we set out to answer a question that piques our interest every time we walk into a Chipotle (which is a lot): What do people actually order here? How healthy is a normal Chipotle meal?

Today, we have a ballpark estimate. The typical order at Chipotle has about 1,070 calories. That’s more than half of the calories that most adults are supposed to eat in an entire day. The recommended range for most adults is between 1,600 and 2,400.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cant say i am surprised. Their burrittos are massive! I actually like Qdoba better, which I assume is comparable calorie wise

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cant say i am surprised. Their burrittos are massive! I actually like Qdoba better, which I assume is comparable calorie wise
only been to chipolte once, thought it was pretty mediocre and bland.
Ill have to try Qdoba in the future, but i very rare eat out.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've only eaten there twice and I don't really care for it. I watch my classmates eat it all the time and they try to explain to me how healthy it is....

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Work in the food industry long enough
you will understand how good some things are, or are not.
and the shelf life on some foods will gross you out.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Work in the food industry long enough
you will understand how good some things are, or are not.
and the shelf life on some foods will gross you out.
This is why I refused to work in the food industry in high school and college. I probably wouldn't eat out at all!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Work in the food industry long enough you will understand how good some things are, or are not. and the shelf life on some foods will gross you out.
I did for 8 years. I've seen the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've worked in various food spots. It didn't really bother me much. Guess I just have low standards :shrugs:

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
With how buffets hold some food on their line for over a month
thats disgusting lol.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Working in commercial restaurants for over 15 years I can truly say that NO ONE really cares about the quality of what the serve let alone the nutrition behind it

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Working in commercial restaurants for over 15 years I can truly say that NO ONE really cares about the quality of what the serve let alone the nutrition behind it
Bingo.... Another reason why i barley eat out.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Including customers. They might pretend to, but they dont. They want cheap fast food and just ignore the reality of the quality of what they are eating. (I am speaking about the gen pop. Of course there is a demographic who does cares but I they are a very small minority.)

bboyflash

Awards
Freebirds! It's like chipotle except more options and they have differnt sizes I get the super monster which happens to be the size of an infant child lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Freebirds! It's like chipotle except more options and they have differnt sizes I get the super monster which happens to be the size of an infant child lol
I had them once and I'm not a big fan.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will say this I worked at chipotle and all their food is as fresh as it comes...everything u see on that line is cut and prepared that day even down to every onion and piece of cilantro , I know I had to cut it all lol even the fajita vegetables are cut up every day and we marinade all the meat which is ball natural no hormones or antibiotics

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will say this I worked at chipotle and all their food is as fresh as it comes...everything u see on that line is cut and prepared that day even down to every onion and piece of cilantro , I know I had to cut it all lol even the fajita vegetables are cut up every day and we marinade all the meat which is ball natural no hormones or antibiotics
qdoba is still better :p

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to think that until they raised their prices and then acted like you were getting things for free like guac and queso. So now I have to spend $9 for a burrito when I don't order any of the sides.

Good thing I work closely with the sales teams and just have to eat Del Friscos and Capital Grille during the week. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This thread made me just walk over and grab one.

chicken
brown rice
pinto
mild/verde mix
sour cream and cheese
I also have them crunch up tortilla chips and toss them in before folding.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
i have to go with Qdoba, to me chipolte isn't "overhyped" its really just kinda ehh to me

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I used to think that until they raised their prices and then acted like you were getting things for free like guac and queso. So now I have to spend $9 for a burrito when I don't order any of the sides.
)
for 10$ i can get 5 pounds of chicken too
I know what i would rather buy !

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you know that some "fresh" meat are at least 60-90 days old? If you freeze it right before the 90 days self life, it can be frozen up to a year. So a year on top of 3 months. Some "fresh" or vacuum packed meat can stay in the cooler for 6 months and still be good to sell.

By the time we get chicken from the Midwest and the east coast, they're already 10-12 days old.

Other states have an egg shelf life of 15-21days and any that doesn't sale, gets re-boxed with a new shelf life date and shipped to California because we have a 45 day shelf life.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
for 10$ i can get 5 pounds of chicken too
I know what i would rather buy !
Meh. Sometimes it good for a change and something different. Maybe not your ideal, but for me it is.

I enjoy buying out for lunch but prepping breakfast and dinner (both cooked, I dont do cereal), but lunch 5/10 times ill buy out.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Meh. Sometimes it good for a change and something different. Maybe not your ideal, but for me it is.

I enjoy buying out for lunch but prepping breakfast and dinner (both cooked, I dont do cereal), but lunch 5/10 times ill buy out.
Absolutely. We cook so much at home that lunch is my little food escape. I don't eat like **** when I go, but I have no doubt that it isn't nearly as healthy as something I would make myself...which is kind of the point. :)

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
This is why I have 13 scoops of protein powder per day of pure amino spiked bliss

Not srs

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Penny pincher checking in
Always buying in bulk and using coupons

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had chipotle once a couple of years in Cali, before they came to Canada. It was alright, but I couldn't help feeling that I could do something better on my own, similar to The Solution's comment. I don't eat out often, but when I do I want it to be a cheat I really enjoy like sushi or deep dish pizza.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Qdoba here closed down after the 2nd Chipotle opned up. They just opened one in the next city over, about 10 mins away. I may have to try it, Chipotle is so so, I only get the bowels from there.

I don't really get the hype for noodles and company either. I tried 4 or 5 things there all meh.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
I eat Chipotle a lot. I really like the taste and the quality of food vs anything that fits a somewhat fast food place. It's miles better than Subway. If people just used a calorie calculator app or even went onto Chipotle's website they could use their calculator and figure out what they should order, etc. If people go there and make themselves fat that's their personal screw up. That place is very ideal for getting your macros and calories on point since you decide everything that goes into it up front.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I <3 chipotle

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On the non fast food, fast food conversation- do any of you have garbanzos around you? Man, that is by far my favorite. A chicken shwarma plate with hummus, vegetable salad, tabulea (sp) and rice, with a pita.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On the non fast food, fast food conversation- do any of you have garbanzos around you? Man, that is by far my favorite. A chicken shwarma plate with hummus, vegetable salad, tabulea (sp) and rice, with a pita.
We don't have a Garbanzo but the Afghan restaurants sells that. It's soooo effn yum!!!!!!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chipotle is the only place I will eat out at. Besides the sodium content its bomb.

Jjbballs

Jjbballs

Awards
Chipotle is my favorite food !!! Do you thing getting brown rice and no sour cream with help the healthiness

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Double steak every single time. Love Chipotle! I eat out twice a day on weekends and chipotle is my version of eating "clean" on weekends. Lol

Awards
  • Established
Chipotle is an awesome place if you're bulking especially. Double meat, extra rice and beans, and add guac and you've got a delicious bowl loaded with fresh clean macros to support growth :D

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Chipotle is an awesome place if you're bulking especially. Double meat, extra rice and beans, and add guac and you've got a delicious bowl loaded with fresh clean macros to support growth :D
Problem is that costs an arm and a leg.

Awards
  • Established
Problem is that costs an arm and a leg.
Yeah, but if you consider the convenience, you get extra rice, beans, and salsas.. with extra meat and guac for $11... thats a solid meal on the go with no prep time with a plethora of good quality calories. Some folks live life in the fast lane (me).. which makes it a viable option.. especially considering the rest of the american faster food services are preservative loaded artificial junk.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah, but if you consider the convenience, you get extra rice, beans, and salsas.. with extra meat and guac for $11... thats a solid meal on the go with no prep time with a plethora of good quality calories. Some folks live life in the fast lane (me).. which makes it a viable option.. especially considering the rest of the american faster food services are preservative loaded artificial junk.
me 2
work about 60 hours a week
i just bulk cook haha !

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I prefer Qdoba over Chipotle,
But I have a local mom&pop mexican place here hidden on the East end if town that I will take over both any day

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Im the same. For me personally, the extra cost is worth it for what you get. Bulk cooking to me is tedious as its the same food day in day out and I cant do that lol

Reactions: 804
goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I like prepping my food but I always look forward to eating out with the fam every weekends. It's just fun and the best part is it tastes better than my cooking. Lol