Im on Ulcer med., need experienced Ulcer input

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
The first of Jan. I was diagnosed with PACs (premature atrial contractions) by a Cardiologist and was prescribed a betablocker. I had a Echo, wore the heart monitore for 24 hrs and had a stress test. All came back very good. I have been having burning in my stomach for months and it has been getting worse, so I went and saw my GP and we discussed my PACs briefly and he asked me about how my stomach felt and I told him thats why I was here. He diagnosed me with a Ulcer and prescribed Nexium on 2/9/15, it has helped alot but the last two days the PACs have come back. Anyone with experience with Ulcers, I would love to here Ur experience with it and how and what was done to heal it. My GP explained the acid is coming up and stimulating my Vagus Nerve which sends a signal to my heart causing the PACs, which are very umcomfotable and make me run down. I am using pure unpasturized honey, aloe vera, an bananas to try and keep acid down. Im also avoiding trigger foods as much as possible. Any input would be appreciated !!!!

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
What dose esomeprazole are you taking? You can go up to 40mg per day in either split or single doses.

Are you sure you have an ulcer and not just GORD?
I would request a urea breath test to identify if a Helicobacter pylori infection is not the cause.

Failing that and assuming absence of more clinical symptoms of a gastric ulcer (aenemia, dark stools)- I would take a H2 antagonist such as ranitidine (150mg) as a BD dose between the Nexium.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Im taking the 40mg extended release at this time. I did not have the breath test done, have U been through this before ??? The burning and discomfort has all but stopped except in the mornings upon rising. I may try the Rantidine at night after discussing with my GP. Thanks for the reply !!!

V

vvs1

Awards
I was recently diagnosed with an ulcer by an endoscopy. I was prescribed omeprazole. Do you take it on an empty stomach?

I do have a stressed feeling in my abdomen that I wonder if it's caused by the ulcer. Rarely that feeling goes away but when it does it is incredibly relaxing. I've also had a chest x ray, CT and ultrasound of abdomen that were all normal.

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
I was recently diagnosed with an ulcer by an endoscopy. I was prescribed omeprazole. Do you take it on an empty stomach? I do have a stressed feeling in my abdomen that I wonder if it's caused by the ulcer. Rarely that feeling goes away but when it does it is incredibly relaxing. I've also had a chest x ray, CT and ultrasound of abdomen that were all normal.
Esomeprazole can be taken with or without food- the kinetics aren't changed.
Some people, treating GORD, take a PPI before food to establish a high enough blood concentration that will reduce gastric acid secretion before they eat (...and stimulate gastric acid secretion). Others take it before bed to reduce gastric secretion and mitigate potential gravitation movement of acid in supine or prone positions when sleeping.

Sucralfate (1gram QID) is a handy adjuvant medication for treating gastric and duodenal ulcers- especially when the PPI is not alleviating symptoms.

V

vvs1

Awards
Esomeprazole can be taken with or without food- the kinetics aren't changed.
Some people, treating GORD, take a PPI before food to establish a high enough blood concentration that will reduce gastric acid secretion before they eat (...and stimulate gastric acid secretion). Others take it before bed to reduce gastric secretion and mitigate potential gravitation movement of acid in supine or prone positions when sleeping.

Sucralfate (1gram QID) is a handy adjuvant medication for treating gastric and duodenal ulcers- especially when the PPI is not alleviating symptoms.
Ok. I just had my T tested last week and it is at a low of 590. Last year it was tested twice at 750 and 790 with shbg of 57, same lab. The only things I changed were allergy drops, 2k iu vitamin d a day, and omeprazole all started a month ago. I've also been taking zinc supplements a few months.

Could this drop be from omeprazole?

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
Ok. I just had my T tested last week and it is at a low of 590. Last year it was tested twice at 750 and 790 with shbg of 57, same lab. The only things I changed were allergy drops, 2k iu vitamin d a day, and omeprazole all started a month ago. I've also been taking zinc supplements a few months. Could this drop be from omeprazole?
Not likely. There is a little evidence in the form of case reports that suggests an endocrine response to PPIs (eg omeprazole) causing gynecomastia- however these are not consistently substantiated with any blood test abnormalities and considering the prevalence of PPI prescribing and the very low incidence, I really don't think there is any association.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
The last two days have been PAC free so far, Ive been eating really clean vegetables and proteins. The burning in the past two mornings hasnt seemed as bad and I,m drinking a big glass of water upon rising and a Tums to stop the slight burning. I hope things continue to improve, the PACs bother me ALOT more than the burning in my stomach. We had complete blood work at my work and all my results came back great except my Uric Acid was slightly above normal. I,m so ready to get my stomach and PACs under control and get back to the gym.......

V

vvs1

Awards
The last two days have been PAC free so far, Ive been eating really clean vegetables and proteins. The burning in the past two mornings hasnt seemed as bad and I,m drinking a big glass of water upon rising and a Tums to stop the slight burning. I hope things continue to improve, the PACs bother me ALOT more than the burning in my stomach. We had complete blood work at my work and all my results came back great except my Uric Acid was slightly above normal. I,m so ready to get my stomach and PACs under control and get back to the gym.......
Do you ever have a fast pulse? Mine was 132 at the DR's office. Right now I'm at 78, but sometimes I catch it at 120 or so.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I did the day I went to the ER from work, when I wasnt feeling well I asked a CMT at work to ck me and my pulse was going from 60-120 back and forth while having PACs and my BP in the Ambulance got to 240/155. I JUST had one of my best friends fall over dead at 42 and I was slightly panicking thinking that was about to happen to myself. Mu pulse doesnt race when I have them hardly at all, on my wrist I can feel a couple beats then feels like it skips and this pattern continues for a couple of hrs. The beta blocker seems to help calm this down. My pulse is normally 50-60..... Hope U get urs under control, it sucks !!!!

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried apple cider vinegar at all? It's been known to help with ulcers. It doesn't taste that good, but just throw back a tablespoon that's slightly diluted with water and it shouldn't bother you.

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I have taken that on and off for years. Its been a week since my last PAC, that I felt and my stomach is feeling much better. I have no more burning when I wake up and just feeling better all around. I think my stomach problems were really aggravated by the stress of a recent Divorce and raising two teenagers, but gotta deal with it and keep my head up. Alot of people with worse problems.... Thanks for the suggestion !!