Alcohol and Bodybuilding

pcarzola

Awards
Thought Id take a survey. Obviously, anyone who spends alot of time on these boards takes their training and nutrition seriously. I am curious as to how many drink alcohol often, not at all or go bananas on the regular.

Some people say its severely detrimental and others say its effects are massively overblown. What do you think?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Thoughts: detrimental, but exaggerated by the majority.

Personally I do not drink, only on rare social occasions

pcarzola

Awards
Thoughts: detrimental, but exaggerated by the majority.

Personally I do not drink, only on rare social occasions
Thanks for the reply. I would imagine that unless your competing or drinking like a fish regularly it would have minimal impact.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I drink, on average, 4 times a month. I can honestly say that I don't believe it effects me much, if at all. Hell, I've hit multiple PR's after nights of drinking. However, I do not binge drink.

I'm a strength enthusiast and not a BB'er, though.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I do not drink alcohol

FlyJay

Awards
I gave up alcohol when I started training seriously. I felt it was starting to inhibit my performance.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Never Have, Never Plan too. Zero !

BARKODE

Awards
Occasionally, because it's embarrassing.

I usually get tipsy half a bottle of beer. I've tried 2 bottles before and almost blacked out. Dunno what's up with that.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I drink once a month and it's usually about 3 beers and a couple shots. Every now and again I'll play a round of golf and drink a beer, but that's about it. I really don't think alcohol is that toxic in moderation. I have a buddy who pins a lot of gear and drinks heavily daily and you can tell it affects him. So point is, have a beer, enjoy life, but don't be an alcoholic.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I drink 1 drink every 2-3 months.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I drink about 3-4x a year. When I do I go all out. Then the next day I remember why I never drink ha.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
being a college student you are around it all the time, both my roommates in my apartment are just drunks haha but i love them, that being said i only drink 1 every 2-3 month, if it is a special occasion i will drink but the only thing i can drink and wake up the next day and feel fine is tequila as odd as that is i feel perfect the next morning haha.. but 151....... uh oh

Moral of the short story its not what it lives up to be, i feel a lot better not drinking and it does peroanly impact the gym for me

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
being a college student you are around it all the time, both my roommates in my apartment are just drunks haha but i love them, that being said i only drink 1 every 2-3 month, if it is a special occasion i will drink but the only thing i can drink and wake up the next day and feel fine is tequila as odd as that is i feel perfect the next morning haha.. but 151....... uh oh Moral of the short story its not what it lives up to be, i feel a lot better not drinking and it does peroanly impact the gym for me
Where are you going to school at

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Awesome. I bet that's nice. Looks like a pretty campus too!
I love it here beach is 10 min away. But get a lot of tourists during break time

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
What's your major? There's an AM member that's a professor there.
Really!? That's awesome, I am biology -> premed.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I drink once every two to three months. It usually involves a vacation or party. I do not drink at all otherwise which can be awkward at times.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I drink once every two to three months. It usually involves a vacation or party. I do not drink at all otherwise which can be awkward at times.
How can it be awkward ?

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
It's socially "awkward" to be at a bar, NBA game, or a concert (I love live music and live in Memphis,TN) and not drink. But I feel better physically and mentally when I do abstain. Besides my performance in the gym is definitely effected by alcohol (I generally drink vodka/water or whiskey/rocks when I do indulge).
Do y'all have anything that you drink to make yourself "feel" like you're not socially awkward?
I've started to bring green tea bags out then order a hot water. It's working for now.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's socially "awkward" to be at a bar, NBA game, or a concert (I love live music and live in Memphis,TN) and not drink. But I feel better physically and mentally when I do abstain. Besides my performance in the gym is definitely effected by alcohol (I generally drink vodka/water or whiskey/rocks when I do indulge).
Do y'all have anything that you drink to make yourself "feel" like you're not socially awkward?
I've started to bring green tea bags out then order a hot water. It's working for now.
If you're worried about just having something in your hand go for water or if you need something to "look" more effective get seltzer water or even diet drinks. YOu can even lie and tell people there's booze in it if you really feel the need.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I never had a problem my response is "No Thank You I Don't Drink"

JennyHaskins

Awards
Alcohol one of the world's oldest, most widely-used drugs, has many effects on the body. Some are positive, but most negative. Historically, alcohol has been blamed for many of the world's tragedies and problems, from the fall of the Roman Empire to the disbanding of many families. Ironically, it is made from relatively innocuous substances.

pcarzola

Awards
Alcohol one of the world's oldest, most widely-used drugs, has many effects on the body. Some are positive, but most negative. Historically, alcohol has been blamed for many of the world's tragedies and problems, from the fall of the Roman Empire to the disbanding of many families. Ironically, it is made from relatively innocuous substances.
And?

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
I do not drink alcohol
X2
DUIs got to damn expensive and I like my money, license, and health more than drinking.

I think we have 3 members on the team !
Make that 4 members.

I never had a problem my response is "No Thank You I Don't Drink"
Same here....

It sucked at first because I was a HEAVY drinker and my buddies are too so they where shocked to here me say that and stick to my guns.
Been sober for 3-4yrs and will never go back.

bboyflash

Awards
Weekends I drink

Last year I did a 3 month experiment with drinking alcohol everyday in addition to proper nutrion/ trainning and it blew my mind

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Weekends I drink Last year I did a 3 month experiment with drinking alcohol everyday in addition to proper nutrion/ trainning and it blew my mind
What did you find out? Like conclusion of this experiment.

bboyflash

Awards
Goal- fatloss
Results= recomp :eek:

I stayed the same weight but went from 15%-13% bf

I counted calories
Used UD2.0 fatloss variant
Drank liqours diet chasers only on low cal days min of
4oz on carb days I drank beer and or mixed drinks as many as I wanted
Took extra vitamins 3x a day and too baking soda 2x a day to help prevent too much electrolyte depletion

Pros-
Recomped

Weight increased on all lifts mainly on power days throughout the entire experiment

I got to go out be social a lot more

Cons

Lethargy for days popped a lot of stims

Oral health took a huge dive
As you know alcohol kills enzymes in your mouth and my gum be came somewhat red and dry teeth became less white

My wallet was sad from all the alcohol I bought

bboyflash

Awards
What I learned from this experiment?

It's possible to have drinks everyday? Yes but I don't recommend.

I will however do a liqour protocol to manipulate aldosterone to trick it into giving up some weight, I'm a huge water holder and when I do this trick it shaves off 2-3 lbs and I'm able to keep it off if I maintain the program. This is something I'll do maybe once every 4-6 weeks though

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
hmm interesting i was going to bring up the price, it can get pricey mattering what you are buying. But thanks for the info!!

vvs1

Awards
Red wine would probably be beneficial with its antioxidants. One drink a day can raise HDL levels, the good lipid.

I somehow ended up with a bag of wine at a block party. At least 25 girls came up to me to chug as much as they could.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Drinking is a social norm. I used to be heavy on the club night life scene in nyc and all my people drink. At times its annoying having to explain my self. And people try to impose their philosophy on me, which makes me want to tell them about themselves lol bad combo. I often get asked if I'm a recovering addict or in AA. I often drink club soda in a glass. This is perfect to keep people off my back.

alfeer

alfeer

Awards
Well I do twice a week. On week days I feel like I don't want to be even near a gym! Weekends especially the next day I do get very lazy. What I noticed, is that it kills my diet when I do drink as I can't drink without eating. I don't touch beer although I love it to bits!
Did an experiment and ran 2 months with no alcohol and lost nearly 9lb just by eating right and training. Put it back on in about 6 months!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is like anything else. The right dose at the appropriate time can actually be healthful. Of course, guys with no discipline avoid it completely, and it's probably best they do because too much can complicate health (liver mostly.)

However, a shot of Kahlua in your post-workout shake is totally acceptable if you train late and need to come down from your pre-w/o stims and get some sleep. :p

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love my drinks personally. I rarely drink beer, but have a bar stocked with many different tequilas and whiskeys. Sipping on a nice anejo is very rewarding.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I love my drinks personally. I rarely drink beer, but have a bar stocked with many different tequilas and whiskeys. Sipping on a nice anejo is very rewarding.
Tequila all the way!!!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My home bar keeps Don Julio anejo, Tres Generaciones silver and anejo, and Corzo silver as my better stuff. Then I always keep a couple of ones that can be had with more abandonment like Espolan silver and Milagro silver.

I love the smokiness of the anejo, but silver/blanco always puts me in a really energetic mood that I enjoy- along with the taste.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
My home bar keeps Don Julio anejo, Tres Generaciones silver and anejo, and Corzo silver as my better stuff. Then I always keep a couple of ones that can be had with more abandonment like Espolan silver and Milagro silver.

I love the smokiness of the anejo, but silver/blanco always puts me in a really energetic mood that I enjoy- along with the taste.
I envision a fine sancha sitting in the passenger seat, with a bottle of Tequila Rose in a brown paper bag tucked under the passenger seat, when you speak of a 'had with more abandonment' agave, lol. But then again, you sound like a much finer connoisseur than I. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
:) man, if only I had a '77 convertible Cadillac Eldorado to go with that picture on a sunny summer afternoon it would be complete. haha

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
I drink a couple times a year but by drink I mean 1 or 2 drinks. And I always feel like **** the next day not a hangover just excess soreness.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ugsavage Anabolics 12
Anabolics 89
cruze1911r1 Supplements 15
Davy25 General Chat 7
SalLamanna General Chat 41