Any tips or suggestions on my current diet plan?

viking805fan

Awards
I am currently trying two lose some weight mainly fat while trying to retain muscle by trying out carb-cycling. I am 26 years old and my stats are 5ft 10inch currently weigh 170lbs. Any advice on my current diet plan would be great appreciated. I sometimes feel like my strength has increased and is kinda stuck currently.

My goal is to be somewhat slim but toned. My current macros are to eat about 45% protein and 30% fat and 25% carbs on low carb days.

Below is a link to myfitnesspal which has my diet of yesterday and you can publicly view my journal.

Printable Nutrition Report for Viking805fan

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Keep kcals the same for 2 weeks and see if your loosing weight.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Id decrease fats and carbs slightly.

55/20/25
Pro/cho/fat

But personally on low carb days I'm closer to 15%
On no carb days I'm about 5% but it's all from leafy veg.

How are you setting up your other days?

How many highs and lows per week?

viking805fan

Awards
Id decrease fats and carbs slightly.

55/20/25
Pro/cho/fat

But personally on low carb days I'm closer to 15%
On no carb days I'm about 5% but it's all from leafy veg.

How are you setting up your other days?

How many highs and lows per week?
I'm currently doing 6 low days and one high day of carbs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been running this amount of calories for about almost 1.5 months and I've lost about 6lbs.
It sounds like you are doing well, when you start to lose weight to quickly a lot of times it is lean mass, (or water) sounds like you may just be losing body fat and for that slow is the way to go. I lost 27lbs in the last year which is about .5lbs a week but it was all body fat and I am very happy with the results. Good luck and we are all here for help and support.

viking805fan

Awards
I have another question in mind, is there a max number of protein that I should consume daily or is my number of Grams normal for this type of diet? I'm guessing that passing gas more is normal? Lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
at 170lbs I would shot for a minimum of 170 grams and would try to get about 200 grams

viking805fan

Awards
at 170lbs I would shot for a minimum of 170 grams and would try to get about 200 grams
I see. But does that mean I should raise my fats a lot more? I'm currently eating about 70-80 Grams and try to keep under 150 Grams of carbs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How many grams of protein are you eating now ?

viking805fan

Awards
I'm currently averaging around 250-265grams right now.

viking805fan

Awards
Btw, I also have my whole diet in that first link to myfitnesspal that I use to keep track of it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Btw, I also have my whole diet in that first link to myfitnesspal that I use to keep track of it.
I would not change a thing you are getting about 1.5grams of protein per pound of body weight which is the top end by that's a good thing!

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
If you lost 6lbs in 6 weeks, that's 1lbs a week which is PERFECT. In other words, I see nothing majorly wrong with your diet, if it works so far stick with it until your weight loss stalls. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you lost 6lbs in 6 weeks, that's 1lbs a week which is PERFECT. In other words, I see nothing majorly wrong with your diet, if it works so far stick with it until your weight loss stalls. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
This. I would keep the diet and cardio, if performing any the same until you stall

viking805fan

Awards
My only worries are that my strength has gone down a bit. An example of this is that I was able to do 3-5 reps of 225lbs on the flat bench and now I can't do that amount. I can currently do about 6-8 reps of 205lbs out the flat bench.

My current amount of cardio right now is 5 minute uphill treadmill walk and 5 minute stair master as warm up. Then after my strength training I do 10 min of stair master and 10 of uphill treadmill walking.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
That sounds reasonable cardio wise. As for strength, it's going to drop, how much is personal. Your not dropping weight extremely fast, so it's probably just something you'll have to deal with.

viking805fan

Awards
I see... On average how long do most people stay on the carb cycle before going back to a normal clean diet. This is my first time carb cycling and I've been on it for a bit over 3 months. I've lost about 16lbs total in that time.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see... On average how long do most people stay on the carb cycle before going back to a normal clean diet. This is my first time carb cycling and I've been on it for a bit over 3 months. I've lost about 16lbs total in that time.
There is no such thing as a clean diet.

Carb cycling can be followed year long, like any other type of nutrition plan. All you're doing is varying carb intake and maybe calorie intake.

viking805fan

Awards
There is no such thing as a clean diet.

Carb cycling can be followed year long, like any other type of nutrition plan. All you're doing is varying carb intake and maybe calorie intake.
I see.. But what I meant by a clean diet is to raise my carbs back up and not eat junk food, just more good natural carbs.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carb cycling can go on for as long as you want.

Considering how successful your cut has been at this point (16lbs in three months is solid) I'd take a little time at maintenance and in a caloric surplus. Then go back to cutting if you still wish to be leaner, but get some strength back take a break and maybe even gain a bit of muscle then go back at it. ;)

viking805fan

Awards
Carb cycling can go on for as long as you want.

Considering how successful your cut has been at this point (16lbs in three months is solid) I'd take a little time at maintenance and in a caloric surplus. Then go back to cutting if you still wish to be leaner, but get some strength back take a break and maybe even gain a bit of muscle then go back at it. ;)
How long is good time in weeks or months to spend on each cycle whether it is a carb cycle or bulk cycle or just maintenance?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How long is good time in weeks or months to spend on each cycle whether it is a carb cycle or bulk cycle or just maintenance?
Depends on your goals, but I'd spend at least 1 month at maintenance or above, but for me its usually 3-4 then back to 1-2 for cutting (I stay lean all year so I don't have to spend too long cutting each time, for others it may be more like 2-3 months).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends on your goals. Personally, I like to stay at a very small surplus for a longer period of time. It helps minimize fat gains and doesn't require prolonged periods of cutting. If you think about it, putting on 1 pound a month is solid. People who say that is a waste, shoot for 2 pounds a month, that is 24 pounds in a month. If natural, that is going to be a decent amount of unwanted fat.

viking805fan

Awards
Thanks Rocket, I'm currently taking Alphamine though right now.

viking805fan

Awards
I am planning on stopping my carb cycling at the end of this month. Would you guys suggest that I keep the same amount of calories and just raise my carbs and lower both fats/proteins for a bit before raising my total calories??

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am planning on stopping my carb cycling at the end of this month. Would you guys suggest that I keep the same amount of calories and just raise my carbs and lower both fats/proteins for a bit before raising my total calories??
Depends on your goals. More of a surplus will mean more weight gain.

viking805fan

Awards
Depends on your goals. More of a surplus will mean more weight gain.
Yea, I'm just thinking of keeping the same calories but adjusting my macros to more carbs first specially since I've been carb cycling since September. Just for a few weeks before increasing total calories depending how my body feels.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, I'm just thinking of keeping the same calories but adjusting my macros to more carbs first specially since I've been carb cycling since September. Just for a few weeks before increasing total calories depending how my body feels.
If you feel depleted, then increase carbs. However, carb cycling should not leaving you feel depleted.

viking805fan

Awards
If you feel depleted, then increase carbs. However, carb cycling should not leaving you feel depleted.
At times I do feel a bit depleted a bit towards the end of some workout my stomach starts going a bit crazy for food and hunger starts kicking in. The reason I'm thinking of moving my macro percents is because I'm already taking in about 270grams of protein and 80grams of fats daily. I've read some articles stating that the body can only take so much protein depending on size (I'm 5'10 and 170lbs) and I don't want to raise my total calories and keep the same macro percents and continue to keep eating more protein and fats.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's more protein than needed. I would shoot for 1g/1lb, if you wanted to go higher, you could go 1.25g/lb which would be 212.5g per day

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
My question is why are you trying to cut when you weigh 170 at 5'10" and can barely bench 225?

If I were you, I'd focus on gaining as much strength and muscle mass as you can before worrying about cutting. If there's no muscle underneath the fat, what is the point of losing the fat in the first place?

Also, it sounds like you're all over the place and don't stick to a plan or take anyone's advice seriously anyway. I remember this thread of yours: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/250334-calorie-totals-macros.html where you were asking for advice on bulking, and a bunch of us gave you good tips that apparently you didn't even try.

Now you're asking for cutting advice and I'm assuming it will be the same thing all over again.

You were 170 back then (according to what you put in the thread) and you're still 170 now?

viking805fan

Awards
My question is why are you trying to cut when you weigh 170 at 5'10" and can barely bench 225?

If I were you, I'd focus on gaining as much strength and muscle mass as you can before worrying about cutting. If there's no muscle underneath the fat, what is the point of losing the fat in the first place?

Also, it sounds like you're all over the place and don't stick to a plan or take anyone's advice seriously anyway. I remember this thread of yours: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/250334-calorie-totals-macros.html where you were asking for advice on bulking, and a bunch of us gave you good tips that apparently you didn't even try.

Now you're asking for cutting advice and I'm assuming it will be the same thing all over again.

You were 170 back then (according to what you put in the thread) and you're still 170 now?
You are correct but last year when I made the bulk advice I topic I was able to gain 20lbs and was at about 190lbs before I started to cut. My rookie mistake was that I was hooked up with a trainer that ended giving me this carb cycle which I started doing in September like I stated. I fell off my previous plan because I ended up taking the trainers advice which did help me shed some weight and started to finally notice my abs a bit. I take this as a learning experience as I am always willing to hear advice from many sources.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
You are correct but last year when I made the bulk advice I topic I was able to gain 20lbs and was at about 190lbs before I started to cut. My rookie mistake was that I was hooked up with a trainer that ended giving me this carb cycle which I started doing in September like I stated. I fell off my previous plan because I ended up taking the trainers advice which did help me shed some weight and started to finally notice my abs a bit. I take this as a learning experience as I am always willing to hear advice from many sources.
What I'd recommend then is sticking to one plan for a while and not following too many opinions from others, as it will just distract you. If you have everyone from here telling you different things, a trainer telling you another, some ******* at the gym telling you something else, and you listen to all of it, you will never get anywhere.

With that being said (and I realize me giving advice is hypocritical to what I just wrote), I still wouldn't worry too much about cutting at this point. I don't mean this to sound offensive, but a 225 pound bench is weak and tells me that your upper body strength isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be if you want to look good with low body-fat percentage. Sure you might get abs, but abs don't mean anything if your chest, shoulders, back, traps, and arms look weak.

viking805fan

Awards
What I'd recommend then is sticking to one plan for a while and not following too many opinions from others, as it will just distract you. If you have everyone from here telling you different things, a trainer telling you another, some ******* at the gym telling you something else, and you listen to all of it, you will never get anywhere.

With that being said (and I realize me giving advice is hypocritical to what I just wrote), I still wouldn't worry too much about cutting at this point. I don't mean this to sound offensive, but a 225 pound bench is weak and tells me that your upper body strength isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be if you want to look good with low body-fat percentage. Sure you might get abs, but abs don't mean anything if your chest, shoulders, back, traps, and arms look weak.
Thanks, I do appreciate your honesty and comment about me needing to stick to a certain plan. I will be making a change and start recording my weekly progress. In the past I have read a book and articles from Jim Stoppani not sure if you guys heard of him but he has written and done some great work in the industry and have more recently learned more about exercise and diet in general.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I do appreciate your honesty and comment about me needing to stick to a certain plan. I will be making a change and start recording my weekly progress. In the past I have read a book and articles from Jim Stoppani not sure if you guys heard of him but he has written and done some great work in the industry and have more recently learned more about exercise and diet in general.
Np man. Good luck with it.