What do you eat?

What does your diet look like?

• Total voters
grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Was thinking about this earlier and didnt find a thread anwsering this... So here it goes.

Im very interested to know what your daily meal plans look like, I personally follow IIFYM (but also clean eating as weel not all junk) but at the same basically everday. Not really much variation.

Ive made a poll, please vote and leave a comment on what your currently doing/following. I know a lot of people eat whatever they want and vary it daily, I find that it would personally make me feel less motivated and dedicated eating multiple different foods on each day.

Go!

EDIT: sorry i made a spelling error on the poll... Cant seem to change it?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I did want to clarify. I'm on a nutrition program that my coach laid out, so I eat the same thing every day for 3 days and then 1 high carb and then saturday I have a cheat meal.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I did want to clarify. I'm on a nutrition program that my coach laid out, so I eat the same thing every day for 3 days and then 1 high carb and then saturday I have a cheat meal.
That's cool man, interesting to know. I've never done a high carb day plan before. How you liking it?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Clean eating but carb cycling.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Relatively clean, but some dirty as well. I don't plan on stepping on a physique stage anytime soon.

Same everyday, except weekends. I have to empty leftovers on the weekend.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Relatively clean, but some dirty as well. I don't plan on stepping on a physique stage anytime soon. Same everyday, except weekends. I have to empty leftovers on the weekend.
Yeah that's it man, I want to look decent but if anything I will pursue powerlifting not BBing. Don't ever want to be a 300lb 'fat' lifter. So being 5% by doesn't interest me.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that's it man, I want to look decent but if anything I will pursue powerlifting not BBing. Don't ever want to be a 300lb 'fat' lifter. So being 5% by doesn't interest me.
I'd like to compete at PL some day too (2016). I just want to do it, and won't allow myself to get too pudgy no matter where my numbers are. 5%... pfft.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I don't have a set meal plan. I have a set calorie and macro goal. I do end up eating the same things most days, except for dinner, I eat what my wife makes (I will still eat to stay in goal range though).

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to compete at PL some day too (2016). I just want to do it, and won't allow myself to get too pudgy no matter where my numbers are. 5%... pfft.
Yeah exactly. I'm happy to sit around 10-12%... And it's still possible to to insanely strong as you know... Look at Dan green. Ideal right there!

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Well and that's certainly your decision. However powerlifters are the ones who are fat lifters. Bb focuses on the aesthetics and symmetries of the body rather than the weight. Being 5% requires a lot of gear and honestly only happens on stage. The moment they step off, they add back 30 lbs

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Well and that's certainly your decision. However powerlifters are the ones who are fat lifters. Bb focuses on the aesthetics and symmetries of the body rather than the weight. Being 5% requires a lot of gear and honestly only happens on stage. The moment they step off, they add back 30 lbs
Of course. I agree. Unless I ever step on stage I have no intention to drop below about 9-10%. That's what I was saying about powerlifter a, some, not all are fat because they are only concerned with strength. I plan to stay lean and get strong as possible without going over about 12-13%.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I know of a few power lifters and a staple in their diet is a box of jelly donuts :)

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Of course. I agree. Unless I ever step on stage I have no intention to drop below about 9-10%. That's what I was saying about powerlifter a, some, not all are fat because they are only concerned with strength. I plan to stay lean and get strong as possible without going over about 12-13%.
And that's fine. I'm more into aesthetics. It's all what you want man all good

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I eat healthy. Hate the word clean lol

Inb4 Omg you use windex in your food

I like to think that with the amount of stress we put our bodies through we need as much whole food nutrients as possible to perform optimally. With that being said if I want a pop tart or all you can eat sushi with my family I'll make it fit in the grand scheme of things and call it a day. But 95% of the time I'm eating whole, nutritious dense foods and not junk

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established

I like to think that with the amount of stress we put our bodies through we need as much whole food nutrients as possible to perform optimally. With that being said if I want a pop tart or all you can eat sushi with my family I'll make it fit in the grand scheme of things and call it a day. But 95% of the time I'm eating whole, nutritious dense foods and not junk
haha yeah im not a fan of the word 'clean' I used it just because most people know what I mean :)

And I agree with you other statement without a doubt, I think people forget just how much strain we put on our bodies and eating a few nutrients isn't exactly hard work if its going to potentially add some extra time to life or lifting.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
haha yeah im not a fan of the word 'clean' I used it just because most people know what I mean :)

And I agree with you other statement without a doubt, I think people forget just how much strain we put on our bodies and eating a few nutrients isn't exactly hard work if its going to potentially add some extra time to life or lifting.
exactly. people think IIFYM is 80% poptart lol

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
exactly. people think IIFYM is 80% poptart lol
Haha without a doubt. People just use t as an excuse to eat as much junk as they can within their calories.

Even youtubers who preach IIFYM still eat veggies,fruits and get fiber into their diet.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Flexible dieting. Not the same foods everyday. Depending if I am low carb, moderate carb, or high carb, those days are the same all week. It makes it easier to meal prep. My diet is 85-90 percent "clean"

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Plain tuna fish and oatmeal after cardio. No Pop Tarts :)

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm IFing but I eat pretty much the same things everyday. My palette sucks. :/

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is IF treating you? My wife might try it. We didn't know how it affected women vs men?? What is your fasting window?
I love it! I lost 15 lbs in a little over a month. It's always hard in the am but I'm usually full all day after my first meal. My windows are 12pm to 10 pm. Most of the time I can't even reach my daily calories because I'm so full. Before I started IF, I would constantly over eat and run out of calories by 2 pm. :/

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
I love it! I lost 15 lbs in a little over a month. It's always hard in the am but I'm usually full all day after my first meal. My windows are 12pm to 10 pm. Most of the time I can't even reach my daily calories because I'm so full. Before I started IF, I would constantly over eat and run out of calories by 2 pm. :/
Awesome.. Thanks.. We both might give a try close to spring..been doing a little research and will give it a go in couple months.?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome.. Thanks.. We both might give a try close to spring..been doing a little research and will give it a go in couple months.?
Start now!!! :D you'll have that body you want by Spring.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
How is IF treating you? My wife might try it. We didn't know how it affected women vs men?? What is your fasting window?
My girlfriend started IIFYM after our child was born 2 years ago, combined with fasting and NO EXERCISE. She's lost 4 stone.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
My girlfriend started IIFYM after our child was born 2 years ago, combined with fasting and NO EXERCISE. She's lost 4 stone.
I did no cardio last cut and got below 10% BF Following IIFYM.

Science is science and science is great.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I did no cardio last cut and got below 10% BF Following IIFYM. Science is science and science is great.
Exactly man. I prefer to eat a little more and just do some cardio. But it's everyone's preference

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Exactly man. I prefer to eat a little more and just do some cardio. But it's everyone's preference
Oh 100%

Whatever way suits to get that deficit but my carbs didn't really drop lower than 180g so I could still eat enough to stay sane lol

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Oh 100% Whatever way suits to get that deficit but my carbs didn't really drop lower than 180g so I could still eat enough to stay sane lol
Haha yeah. Mine at 160... Not going lower than that. Hard enough as it is.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

This...
To define "Clean" is nearly impossible
And those that say they eat clean are still practicing IIFYM because your fitting those foods in your macros.
IIFYM is not about extreme's as many people think and eating the majority of their carbs from processed junk, or fats from butter/lard. IIFYM is about meeting micronutrients first and foremost and then with left over calories/macros after meeting protein/fiber/fat minimums then yeah you could add in some cereal, a poptart if you do have remaining calories left. or want to sub say 200g of potatoes for some chocolate chips if you have some fats left over as well and subtract an egg yolk or some peanut butter you may of used earlier in the day. Its about understanding portions and being flexible once you have reached your whole foods and nutrient dense sources first.

The Dirt on Clean Eating | Wannabebig

Applying Moderation: The 10-20% Guideline

For those hoping that I’ll tell you to have fun eating whatever you want, you’re in luck. But, like everything in life, you’ll have to moderate your indulgence, and the 10-20% guideline is the best way I’ve found to do this. There currently is no compelling evidence suggesting that a diet whose calories are 80-90% from whole & minimally processed foods is not prudent enough for maximizing health, longevity, body composition, or training performance. As a matter of fact, research I just discussed points to the possibility that it’s more psychologically sound to allow a certain amount of flexibility for indulgences rather than none at all. And just to reiterate, processed does not always mean devoid of nutritional value. Whey and whey/casein blends are prime examples of nutritional powerhouses that happen to be removed from their original food matrix.

Use the 10-20% discretionary intake rule and enjoy life a bit.

The 10-20% guideline isn’t only something I’ve used successfully with clients; it’s also within the bounds of research. Aside from field observations, there are three lines of evidence that happen to concur with this guideline. I’ll start with the most liberal one and work my way down. The current Dietary Reference Intakes report by Food & Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine lists the upper limit of added sugars as 25% of total calories [24]. Similarly, an exhaustive literature review by Gibson and colleagues found that 20% of total calories from added sugars is roughly the maximum amount that won’t adversely dilute the diet’s concentration of essential micronutrition [25]. Keep in mind that both of these figures are in reference to refined, extrinsic sugars, not naturally occurring sugars within whole foods like fruit or milk. Finally, the USDA has attempted to teach moderation with their concept of the discretionary calorie allotment, defined as follows [26]:

“…the difference between total energy requirements and the energy consumed to meet recommended nutrient intakes.”
Basically, discretionary calories comprise the margin of leftover calories that can be used flexibly once essential nutrient needs are met. Coincidentally, the USDA’s discretionary calorie allotment averages at approximately 10-20% of total calories [27]. Take note that discretionary calories are not just confined to added sugars. Any food or beverage is fair game. The USDA’s system is still far from perfect, since it includes naturally-occurring fats in certain foods as part of the discretionary calorie allotment. This is an obvious holdover from the fat-phobic era that the USDA clings to, despite substantial evidence to the contrary [28].

It’s important to keep in mind that protein and fat intake should not be compromised for the sake of fitting discretionary foods into the diet. In other words, make sure discretionary intake doesn’t consistently displace essential micro- & macronutrient needs, and this includes minimum daily protein and fat targets, which vary individually. This may be tough to accept, but alcohol is not an essential nutrient. Its risks can swiftly trump its benefits if it’s consumed in excess, so it falls into the discretionary category.

10% Versus 20%

Another legitimate question is why I’ve listed the discretionary range as 10-20% rather than just listing it as a maximum of 20%. This is because energy balance matters. In bulking scenarios, maintaining a 20% limit could potentially pose health risks that are already elevated by the process of weight gain, which in some cases involves a certain amount of fat gain. Conversely, weight loss tends to be an inherently cardioprotective process, independent of diet composition [29]. So, the 20% limit is more appropriate for those either losing or maintaining weight. Those who are gaining weight but want to play it safe should hover towards the lower & middle of the range (10-15%). Another factor that can influence the upper safe threshold is physical activity level. I’ll quote Johnson & Murray in a recent review [30]:

“Obesity and metabolic syndrome are rare among athletes, even though dietary fructose intake is often high, underscoring the robust protective role of regular exercise.”

In the above quote, you can substitute any controversial food or nutrient in place of the word fructose, and the same principle would apply. A greater range of dietary flexibility is one of the luxuries of regular training. Sedentary individuals do not have the same level of safeguarding from the potentially adverse effects of a higher proportion of indulgence foods. And just in case it wasn’t made clear enough, 10-20% indicates the maximum, not minimum discretionary allotment. If someone strives to consume 0% of calories from any food that’s been processed or refined from its original state, then that’s perfectly fine – as long as this is the person’s genuine preference, and not a painful battle of will. I’d also like to make it clear that there is still plenty of grey area in the study of dietary effects on health. As such, the nature and extent of the miscellaneous or rule-free food allotment is a delicate judgment call. In this case, it’s wise to keep scientific research at the head of the judging panel, but don’t ignore personal experience & individual feedback.

Final Note: Linear Versus Nonlinear Distribution

A legitimate question is, what’s the best way to distribute discretionary calories? Should they be confined to a daily limit, or can it be a weekly limit? The best answer is to let personal preference decide. If we use a 2000 kcal diet as an example, a flat/linear approach would mean that 200-400 kcal per day can come from whatever you want, while meeting essential needs otherwise in the diet. Weekly, this translates to 1400-2800 kcal, depending on the factors I previously discussed. One nonlinear option would be to break the weekly allotment in half, where 2 days per week you indulge in 700-1400 kcal of whatever you want, keeping the remaining 5 days relatively Spartan. Again, there is no universally superior method of distributing the discretionary allotment. The same principle applies to the choice of foods to fulfill it. Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition. And that’s the nitty-gritty as I see it.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
^^^ great post! That clears a lot up for people who eat only junk to make up their carbs and fats. Like you said it's designed to allow a little flexibility once your main bases are covered/close to.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
That's a very good and helpful article, Solution. Thanks for sharing

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Glad to assist you sorry it's so long. It trying to be detailed in addressing the point

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Glad to assist you sorry it's so long. It trying to be detailed in addressing the point
Awesome post buddy!
I'll be showing this to a few people to try and sway them from the total bro thinking that seems to be deeply installed in their brains

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Eating 6oz of chicken dipped in honey before bed :)

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Flexible dieting
I've seen your "flexible dieting" and it seems you are very flexible. Some super cheat meal you had recently. Where in the world to you put it? :)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen your "flexible dieting" and it seems you are very flexible. Some super cheat meal you had recently. Where in the world to you put it? :)
Follow a 80/20 rule.

80% healthy 20% free reign

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Eating this chicken is pretty blah and boring. A piece of chocolate cake would be better