JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The effects of ketogenic dieting on skeletal muscle and fat mass

Background
This is the first study ever to research very low carbohydrate ketogenic dieting (VLCKD) relative to a traditional high carbohydrate diet in resistance trained athletes.

Methods
Twenty-six college aged resistance trained men volunteered to participate in this study and were divided into VLCKD (5 % CHO, 75 % Fat, 20 % Pro) or a traditional western diet (55 % CHO, 25 % fat, 20 % pro).

All subjects participated in a periodized resistance-training program 3x per week.

Body fat and lean mass were determined via dual xray absorptiometry (DXA), while muscle mass was determined via ultrasonography analysis of the quadriceps.

All measures were taken at week 0 and 11.

Results
Lean body mass increased to a greater extent in the VLCKD (4.3 ± 1.7 kgs ) as compared to the traditional group (2.2 kg ± 1.7).

Ultrasound determined muscle mass increased to a greater extent in the VLCKD group (0.4 ± 0.25 cm) as compared to the traditional western group (0.19 ± 0.26 cm).

Finally fat mass decreased to a greater extent in the VLCKD group (-2.2 kg ± 1.2 kg) as compared to the traditional group (- 1.5 ± 1.6 kg).

Conclusions
These results indicate that VLCKD may have more favorable changes in LBM, muscle mass, and body fatness as compared to a traditional western diet in resistance trained males.
separate paper published using same data from above

Effects of a ketogenic diet on strength and power

Results
The 1 RM bench press increased in both the LCKD (10.3 ± 4.4 kg) and western (9.5 ± 4.0 kg).

The 1RM squat increased in both LCKD (12.7±5.9kg) and western (15.2±7.6kg).

The wingate peak power increased in both the LCKD (51.8 ± 64.7 W) and western (80.5 ± 66.8 W).

Conclusion
A LCKD can produce similar strength and power gains to a western diet.
and another paper using the same data from the first one above

The effects of very high fat, very low carbohydrate diets on safety, blood lipid profile, and anabolic hormone status

Results
There were no differences in any of the safety parameters measured (CBC / CMP) in either the VLCKD or traditional group.

Total cholesterol increased slightly in the VLCKD group, while it decreased in the traditional western group. However, this rise was driven by an increase in HDL in the VLCKD group (6.69 mg/dl) compared to the western (-1.6 mg/dl) with no changes in LDL.

Triglycerides were significantly higher in the VLCKD group (29.3 mg/dl) than the western (-8.4 mg/dl).

Total testosterone increased significantly in the VLCKD diet (118 ng/dl) as compared to the western (-36 ng/dl) while insulin increased significantly in the western group (3.7 uIu/ml) compared to the VLCKD (.1 uIu/ml).

Conclusion
This study data suggests that a VLCKD is safe. In addition, this diet strategy improves testosterone values while simultaneously increasing insulin sensitivity. Lastly, even though the total cholesterol increased in the VLCKD group, their HDL drove this response. Athletes looking to optimize their hormone levels while employing a safe dieting strategy can use a VLCKD.
this paper is separate from the previous 3

Effects of dietary macronutrient distribution on resting and post-exercise metabolism

Background
Previous research has demonstrated that habitual dietary macronutrient distribution affects energy substrate utilization at rest and during exercise. The primary purpose of the current study was to examine the relationships between habitual baseline macronutrient intakes, expressed relative to bodyweight and percentage of total energy intake, and metabolism at rest and after exercise in women.

Methods
Twenty recreationally active women (Mean ± SD; Age 24.6 ± 3.9 yrs; Height 164.4 ± 6.6 cm; Weight 62.7 ± 6.6 kg; BF% 28.2 ± 4.8%) volunteered for the current study. Prior to metabolic testing, participants completed strength testing to determine their 1RM for six resistance exercises and completed a 3-day dietary log. Participants were provided with detailed instructions for accurately logging food intake and portion sizes, and instructed to record their regular food intake on two week days and one weekend day. Logs were analyzed using The Food Processor software (ESHA Research, Salem, OR, USA). Body composition was determined using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). Exercise was prescribed using baseline strength data and heart rate reserve calculations. Respiratory exchange ratio (RER) and resting energy expenditure (REE) were analyzed via indirect calorimetry (Parvomedics TrueOne 2400) before exercise (PRE), and during minutes 0-10 (IP), 25-35 (30min), and 50-60 (60min) post-exercise. Bivariate correlations and independent samples t-tests were completed using SPSS software (Version 19.0; IBM, Somers, NY, USA). Participants were stratified based on fat intake as a percentage of total caloric intake (high fat > 35% of total kcals, n=11; low fat < 35% of total kcals, n=9) and relative to bodyweight (high fat > 1.3 g/kg, n=11; low fat < 1.3 g/kg, n=9). Consent to publish the results was obtained from all participants.

Results
A significant inverse relationship between carbohydrate (CHO) intake (g/kg) and REE was observed at IP (r=-0.539, p=0.014), 30min (r=-0.569, p=0.009), and 60min (r=-0.577, p=0.008), with a trend toward significance at PRE (r=-0.413, p=0.07).

Participants consuming > 35% of kilocalories from fat had a significantly higher bench press 1RM (p=0.048) and lower RER at 30min (p=0.033) and 60 min (p=0.033).

Participants consuming > 1.3 g/kg of fat per day trended toward lower fat mass (p=0.09) and BF% (p=0.07).

Conclusions
Results indicate that baseline macronutrient distribution impacts post-exercise energy metabolism in women. Higher fat and lower CHO intake was associated with greater post-exercise REE and lower post-exercise RER, indicating greater fat utilization. Higher fat intakes may also influence resistance exercise performance and body composition; participants with higher fat intake had a greater bench press 1RM and trended towards lower indices of adiposity. These results suggest that the relative contributions of CHO and fat to total caloric intake may have significant implications for metabolism and body composition in women.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
separate paper published using same data from above

and another paper using the same data from the first one above

this paper is separate from the previous 3
Buf IIFYM bro

In seriousness; will read FT over weekend. Good find!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Definitely great info... I ran keto for 6 weeks and the fat melted but yet added strength and increased overall well being...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you have the links to the research/studies?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
full texts aren't available yet.
Will keep an eye out then ;) interested to see study design. I saw a thesis on a similar topic where participants at either low or high carb ad libitum, with low carb often being eaten at higher calorie amounts only for that too lead to greater body comp changes

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah thank you.
Where did they come from then?
They were presented at an ISSN conference. Some of studies are out of a Wilson's lab in Florida.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will keep an eye out then ;) interested to see study design. I saw a thesis on a similar topic where participants at either low or high carb ad libitum, with low carb often being eaten at higher calorie amounts only for that too lead to greater body comp changes
It doesn't say in the abstracts but from my exchanges with the authors, kcal between the groups were the same. So we have isocaloric & isonitrogenous

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm definitely going back on low carb or carb cycling diet. Judo, do you stay on a low carb diet continuously or do you carb cycle?.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Tkd is the best personal dieting choice ive made...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are any of you on a low carb diet/ketogenic diet?

Just curious.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm definitely going back on low carb or carb cycling diet. Judo, do you stay on a low carb diet continuously or do you carb cycle?.
I haven't really dieted at all really since going back to school full time. Been living pretty much off fast food and campus food. Gained a bunch of weight over the years :( but am about to get back in the swing of things and will prolly go straight keto to start off with

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't really dieted at all really since going back to school full time. Been living pretty much off fast food and campus food. Gained a bunch of weight over the years :( but am about to get back in the swing of things and will prolly go straight keto to start off with
I've always done better on lower carbs. Recently I went back to a more carb based diet or you could say I just went off my carb cycling diet/phase shift diet. I did notice a bit more strength while on higher carbs, unless that's just placebo which I don't doubt. However I also noticed less energy, less endurance, lower libido, more aches and pains, less stable mood or mood swings, increased gas and bloating....Difficulty concentrating.

The only thing about low carb I don't like is the monotony. I've been on and off Dr.Mauro Di Pasquales metabolic diet since 2001. More on than off. I even noted that when I do go on a lower carb diet for an extended period of time my LDL goes down significantly as opposed to if I got blood work while eating a higher carb diet.