Getting sick

b2b2

Awards
Im starting to get sick with a cold (runny nose, sore throat, lethargic) what do you all do when your getting sick to shorten or prevent?

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To prevent i run 5-8000iu of D3 during cold/flu months.

To shorten I use Zicam at first symptom.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a supplement called Wellness Formula and we triple up as soon as we start feeling sick. It works almost everytime.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Go get oscillococcinum. It's otc. You pour it in your mouth and let the little balls melt. It works wonders.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I take 3-5 grams of Vitamin C every day, and when I do this, it really keeps me from getting sick. It seems that when I stop taking it, I become much more prone to getting colds, and once I get a cold nothing seems to make it go away beyond time. I will have to try some of the items above if I do get sick...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As someone who seldom gets sick, here's what I've found has made the difference: constant teeth brushing. I brush my teeth 3-4x/day (not always with toothpaste) to keep my mouth clean. It all starts in the mouth and GI.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As someone who seldom gets sick, here's what I've found has made the difference: constant teeth brushing. I brush my teeth 3-4x/day (not always with toothpaste) to keep my mouth clean. It all starts in the mouth and GI.
I agree with good dental hygiene, but I once heard one can actually brush their teeth too much and doing so can ruin the enamel. Any truth to this? Also, there is a pretty good correlation between dental hygiene and heart health, just a little fun fact.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
big fan of using vitamin C (extra) and doubling my multi for micronutrients, vitamins and minerals. but i get sick very rare.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with good dental hygiene, but I once heard one can actually brush their teeth too much and doing so can ruin the enamel. Any truth to this? Also, there is a pretty good correlation between dental hygiene and heart health, just a little fun fact.
I've heard that as well, but haven't seen a lot of concrete data on it. I mainly use a soft brush head and tend to go through one every month. When I'm brushing between meals, I mainly use just hot water and brush for maybe 45s to clean out the remaining particles and sweep the gums.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've heard that as well, but haven't seen a lot of concrete data on it. I mainly use a soft brush head and tend to go through one every month. When I'm brushing between meals, I mainly use just hot water and brush for maybe 45s to clean out the remaining particles and sweep the gums.
Got it. So you brush with paste twice a day and in between meals, just a quick sweep with water? Do you have a link to something that is useful when a tooth brush isn't around, like at school or work.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards

You can brush too hard and most people actually have poor brushing technique. Always use a soft toothbrush and at a 45 degree angle in small circles. Between meals swishing with water will suffice, and if you're overly concerned buy a Water pik or sonicate electric toothbrush. Brushing to hard can recede your gums and damage gum tissue.

The part about oral health and heart issues is a myth. Perio disease is an issue though that can have serious health effects.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can brush too hard and most people actually have poor brushing technique. Always use a soft toothbrush and at a 45 degree angle in small circles. Between meals swishing with water will suffice, and if you're overly concerned buy a Water pik or sonicate electric toothbrush. Brushing to hard can recede your gums and damage gum tissue.

The part about oral health and heart issues is a myth. Perio disease is an issue though that can have serious health effects.
Thanks for the advice. And like I said, there is a correlation between heart health and dental health

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
only thing to worry about when brushing so much is makig sure you swap out the brush so you dont reuse the germs over and over again so you dont keep putting them back in your mouth which could prolong the sickness?

Maybe // Maybe Not??

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Thanks for the advice. And like I said, there is a correlation between heart health and dental health

No the association between gum disease and heart disease is coincidental. There's no direct evidence they are linked although it is debated, and some healthcare professionals will tell you it's a causative link.

People that usually have really poor oral health also increase their risk of heart issues through things like smoking, poor diet choices, etc.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
The caveat to my previous post is that regardless good oral health is important to an overall state of well being and health in general.

Maybe one day we will be able to find a direct link to oral health and heart disease but as of now there's no evidence it is a direct cause and effect relationship. Yes poor oral health and germs cause inflammation and there has been suggestions that bacteria can attach to fatty deposits in the arteries and trigger blood clots, but none of that has been actually proven even if that's been the misconception for decades.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
I literally never get sick, and have a routine I stick by. As others have stated, oral hygiene is a big f-ckin deal when it comes to overall health. I rinse and gargle with peroxide, followed by rinsing with water after every brushing. I keep my zinc levels high, especially in the winter months. I also pour peroxide in my ears and let it do its thing for 5 minutes once a month. Also, hand washing is key, and don't touch your face/eyes unless you have washed your hands. Oh, and keep your nose clean

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wash my hands at least 20 times a day (no joke) a habit from working in the food industry. Another reason why i never get sick.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wash my hands at least 20 times a day (no joke) a habit from working in the food industry. Another reason why i never get sick.
That's usually terrible for the immune system (e.g. hygiene hypothesis).

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That's usually terrible for the immune system.
Ever Since I started to wash my hands more often than 2-3 times a day my health has improved (just personal experience)
For most american's they struggle or do not even wash their hands often. I rather be on the safer end and prevent germs, pesticides, and other forms of bacteria from spreading by keeping my hands clean which are exposed to nasty things on a daily basis.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ever Since I started to wash my hands more often than 2-3 times a day my health has improved (just personal experience) For most american's they struggle or do not even wash their hands often. I rather be on the safer end and prevent germs, pesticides, and other forms of bacteria from spreading by keeping my hands clean which are exposed to nasty things on a daily basis.
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as I seldom wash my hands. I credit my strong immune system to the fact that it gets a lot of practice. I haven't had a cold or flu in almost 15 years.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as I seldom wash my hands. I credit my strong immune system to the fact that it gets a lot of practice. I haven't had a cold or flu in almost 15 years.
Knock on wood ^^^

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In order for your immune system to work, you've got to give it something to fight.
When you teach kids all day everyday, believe me you are giving it something to fight with how much they are coughing, sneezing, and coming to school sick on a daily norm.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When you teach kids all day everyday, believe me you are giving it something to fight with how much they are coughing, sneezing, and coming to school sick on a daily norm.
So true. Parents fight this all the time and we volunteer at the school, so I think that has really helped build my immunity. I've had 2 colds in the last 4 years, but this year it is just nasty here in CO. There is so much going around that it is hard not to pass if one of the kids has it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You live in CO? Whereabout? My brother lives outside denver in Englewood.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
In order for your immune system to work, you've got to give it something to fight.
This right here. A lot of work is being done on how excessive hand washing may be responsible for weakened immune systems. Simply googling memory T cells will give you some info

Small doses of venom so you can handle the bite ;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Im starting to get sick with a cold (runny nose, sore throat, lethargic) what do you all do when your getting sick to shorten or prevent?
Was your hands often & keep them out of your facial area.
Hand washing is critical. Then I typically take a multi, use a hand sanitizer and maintain good hygiene. Use Lysol on possible contaminated areas.
Just some personal tips I use to prevent getting sick.