How many calories per day do you eat?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Right now I am bulking. 4500 cals per day.

How about you?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Only about 1,500 for the past month or two. I have dropped 5 lbs, gained strength and stamina (my reps are increasing), and lowered body fat. I do cheat alittle on the weekends. This will end on Tuesday and I will start to eat 3,500-4,000. That is what I was eating before I started cutting. So ready for more calories :)

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Wait you are eating 1500 calories and lost 5lbs in 2 months.. You kill your metabolism?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Wait you are eating 1500 calories and lost 5lbs in 2 months.. You kill your metabolism?
Lol, I'm not sure what's happening. I must be gaining muscle. I try and eat 170-200 grams of protein everyday. Metabolism seems the same. Pants are falling down. I also use Hydroxycut, drink coffee, green tea and use Hyde as pre-workout. I wonder what happens when I start eating more calories again.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only about 1,500 for the past month or two. I have dropped 5 lbs, gained strength and stamina (my reps are increasing), and lowered body fat. I do cheat alittle on the weekends. This will end on Tuesday and I will start to eat 3,500-4,000. That is what I was eating before I started cutting. So ready for more calories :)
terrible idea to jump from a ridiculous deficit into a full blown bulk. You're going to just get plum fat
in short, yes. He destroyed his metabolism.

nbshazeezee

nbshazeezee

Awards
I try to keep it maintained 2500-3200.
Usually almost hit above 3000 though.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
terrible idea to jump from a ridiculous deficit into a full blown bulk. You're going to just get plum fat in short, yes. He destroyed his metabolism.
Definitely... At this point your metabolism has slowed down dramatically. I agree that you should slowly start to increase calories.. Perhaps by 350-500 a day. Then actually go slightly ABOVE where u plan on maintaining calorie wise.

Slowly work up to 5,000 a day for one week then reduce it to 4,000 and maintain

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally I am at 3,000 a day and recomping very nicely utilizing carb cycling. I've lost 3 inch on waist (33 down to 30 in 4 months) and put an inch on my arms while widening lats and shoulders.

I have one more week before I reverse diet for 7-10 days then will go back to carb cycling

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
terrible idea to jump from a ridiculous deficit into a full blown bulk. You're going to just get plum fat in short, yes. He destroyed his metabolism.
Thanks for your two cents. Time will tell. I currently weigh 170ish. I don't really care to eat, so when I do increase calories I am pretty specific about making meals. I have never been more then 176lbs and I am almost 42 years old. Oh, this isn't the first time my calories have fluctuated like this. I'm not to worried about getting plump. I keep a log and can post how things work out if anyone's interested. Haha, I'm going on a cruise in a week. That's why I dropped the calories. That's also why I am increasing the calories :)

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Definitely... At this point your metabolism has slowed down dramatically. I agree that you should slowly start to increase calories.. Perhaps by 350-500 a day. Then actually go slightly ABOVE where u plan on maintaining calorie wise. Slowly work up to 5,000 a day for one week then reduce it to 4,000 and maintain
I see what you mean. That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cruises lol. You'll definitely be increasing your cals rather quickly then! Enjoy.. They're definitely my favorite form of vaca.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
3500 a day
i ended my cut 4 months ago at 1750 now about double my kcals and only up 4-5 pounds, slowly bumping my kcals over the time
250g Pro, around 400g Carbs and 70g Fat daily + 1 Cheat meal/Week.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
2000 - 2500

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1849-2240 for me :)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I'm supposed to be around 4400 a day

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Increasing calories now as suggested. At 1,500 and headed to 3-4,000. Target date: Thanksgiving of course! Haha

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
5'5" 147 crew... and gaining nicely at 2,800 kcals.

mark i'd just add 100 calories every 4-7 days, i did my reverse from my cut doing 100 kcal a week in the form of CHO and i'm shocked by how lean i've stayed while eating 385g of carbs a day

idk if that'll get you to 4,000 by thanksgiving lol, but thanksgiving will be a calorie massacre. "And on that day, not a single macro was counted"

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
5'5" 147 crew... and gaining nicely at 2,800 kcals. mark i'd just add 100 calories every 4-7 days, i did my reverse from my cut doing 100 kcal a week in the form of CHO and i'm shocked by how lean i've stayed while eating 385g of carbs a day idk if that'll get you to 4,000 by thanksgiving lol, but thanksgiving will be a calorie massacre. "And on that day, not a single macro was counted"
Thanks for the advice. Thanksgiving is one thing and two days later I leave for 7 days on vacation. 5 of the days consists of all you can eat, all day anything buffets. This is like macro suicide. To eat or not to eat! This is my dilemma :) lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice. Thanksgiving is one thing and two days later I leave for 7 days on vacation. 5 of the days consists of all you can eat, all day anything buffets. This is like macro suicide. To eat or not to eat! This is my dilemma :) lol
Where you headed ??

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
haha eat and enjoy yourself, but that is macro suicide lol

everything in moderation is good to go. Grand Cayman sounds nice, jelly

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3.5k on training days 3k on off days
I use to rotate my kcals on training days and "off" days. Don't any more.

Another 5'5" 150lb guy checking in lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I use to rotate my kcals on training days and "off" days. Don't any more. Another 5'5" 150lb guy checking in lol
5'11" 205...trying to get bigger.

And yeah, the extra calories really just come from my intra-WO (Gatorade) and post-WO (whatever food I decide to snack on as I lift at night)

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I use to rotate my kcals on training days and "off" days. Don't any more.

Another 5'5" 150lb guy checking in lol
Another 5'5 checking in @ 180lbs empty stomach this am. Midway my winter bulk eating ~4k a day. I still rotate low carb days on non training days though

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Damn! I'm Omw to that lol
I dnt like it past 180lbs but I'm on a mission this year. Fatest I've been was 192. And correction I'm eating around 3-3.5k. I just checked my fitnesspal app

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I was 187 at 5'3"... Broke my femur twice and was on a wheelchair for a couple months, and my grandma porked me up big time

Then I lost 50 lbs going into college

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I was 187 at 5'3"... Broke my femur twice and was on a wheelchair for a couple months, and my grandma porked me up big time

Then I lost 50 lbs going into college
Wow. I take that you're all better now?

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Wow. I take that you're all better now?
Oh yeah I'm good to go, lol. I fractured my skull too in that car accident. Then rebroje the leg, then 3 years later dislocates my knee cap in baseball, and had tommy John two years ago which ending my college career :/

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Heaviest I was, was 175lb before I started my prep. I'm slowly getting back there, but I'll stay in the 12-15% range. Refuse to get that big and not see abs lol

I'm helluva lot stronger now at 150 than I was at 175 though.

Actually in two weeks I'll bump my cals (haven't had a bump in two weeks)

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Heaviest I was, was 175lb before I started my prep. I'm slowly getting back there, but I'll stay in the 12-15% range. Refuse to get that big and not see abs lol

I'm helluva lot stronger now at 150 than I was at 175 though.

Actually in two weeks I'll bump my cals (haven't had a bump in two weeks)
I'm the same way with the abs lol, wanna be able to see the top 4 at least, didn't lose all that fat to not have them show anymore!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm the same way with the abs lol, wanna be able to see the top 4 at least, didn't lose all that fat to not have them show anymore!
Abs do not dictate your BF%, some males hold more fat in their midsection, some in other area's. Some people can still be sub 10% BF and not have abs, not the best indication.

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
True. I carry most of my fat predominantly in my stomach. My legs stay stupid lean but my love handles and lower stomach usually get fat first

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
True. I carry most of my fat predominantly in my stomach. My legs stay stupid lean but my love handles and lower stomach usually get fat first
My legs have striations year round, my arms basically have 0 fat on them as well. I am under 10% even without much abs showing at all.

when people show just their abs, it does not tell the story. some people hold a lot of fat in their hamstrings, glutes, backs etc.... so it can vary greatly. Dont use a 4 pack as a gauge.

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
True will do.

Bob do you find its easier to cut down and get to that single digit range after building your metabolism up in the offseason? Some have told me you're second time cutting is easier than the first and so on

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
True will do.

Bob do you find its easier to cut down and get to that single digit range after building your metabolism up in the offseason? Some have told me you're second time cutting is easier than the first and so on
Second time much easier
my first prep i lost over 30+ pounds, so i had to be aggressive for my contest prep
my 2nd prep i only had to lose 15 pounds and did so over 20 weeks

so 30 pounds in 16-20 weeks compared to 15 pounds to 16-20 weeks is a MAJOR difference, if you can make slow changes in cardio and nutrition it will mentally be easier than larger cuts in cardio and nutrition.

but again the body is weird, and 2nd time may be harder. just depends on lots of variables. Just get ready for the mental demons and mind games.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always gauge how fat I am when I can't see my abs. And I always will.

My shoulders have striations in them, back stays lean, quads show separation but the minute my abs disappear I know I'm gaining weight

That and I use an ultrasound lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I always gauge how fat I am when I can't see my abs. And I always will.

My shoulders have striations in them, back stays lean, quads show separation but the minute my abs disappear I know I'm gaining weight

That and I use an ultrasound lol
I ahve used a bodpod and a dexa, both have shown me under 10% and not even having abs, i come from a VERY overweight background, and being over 240 in a 5'7 frame, so my loose skin is very deceiving.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I ahve used a bodpod and a dexa, both have shown me under 10% and not even having abs, i come from a VERY overweight background, and being over 240 in a 5'7 frame, so my loose skin is very deceiving.
Know exactly what you mean, I hit 240 before starting to take my health seriously and improving myself

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Know exactly what you mean, I hit 240 before starting to take my health seriously and improving myself
Tore MCL
kept eating like a lineman
blew up because i could not walk for 9 months in a leg immobilizer.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Tore MCL kept eating like a lineman blew up because i could not walk for 9 months in a leg immobilizer.
Well you made a hell of a comeback

No excuse but gluttony for my weight gain

P

pionutbz

Awards
1811-2000/day

G

guido6701

Awards
Training Day X 3 (when I lift) - Calories...........3764 Protein........382 Carbs..........258 Fat............127

Off Day X 4 (light cardio only) - Calories............3494 Protein........384 Carbs.........158 Fat.............137

Cheat Meal once a week.