Bodybuilding.com says milk before bed is bad. WTF?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Thank you! That's what I thought!

Notice how they say to drink protein powder instead! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Casein protein* before bed. I drink mine at night, after my mommy tucks me in to bed

G

guido6701

Awards
8 oz. of Almond milk, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and a scoop of whey before I go to sleep.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Why would you drink Almond Milk? It has 1 gram of protein.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
G

guido6701

Awards
QuadMonster: Why not? I didn't know that was a bad thing.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Almond Milk is water mixed in with Almonds. Almond milk does not contain any dairy, lactose, soy, eggs, cholesterol, gluten, MSG, or casein or whey (milk proteins). You are drinking water with one gram of protein per 8 ounce serving.

Don't see the point of drinking it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Almond Milk is water mixed in with Almonds. Almond milk does not contain any dairy, lactose, soy, eggs, cholesterol, gluten, MSG, or casein or whey (milk proteins). You are drinking water with one gram of protein per 8 ounce serving. Don't see the point of drinking it.
Maybe he doesn't tolerate lactose well. Ever think of that?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It contains 2x the calcium, half the sugar, and additional vitamins. While I personally don't like it, it is a good substitute for people.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Im sure he gets his casein protein from supplements. That is fine if his body does not agree with Dairy products. Im all for that.

G

guido6701

Awards
Yeah I do get casein form supplements. And Rodja is right, dairy and I have never gotten along. But, I settled on it because of the upside kisaj cited.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im sure he gets his casein protein from supplements. That is fine if his body does not agree with Dairy products. Im all for that.
People do not need casein. If a person cannot handle lactose, they cannot handle casein powder.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It contains 2x the calcium, half the sugar, and additional vitamins. While I personally don't like it, it is a good substitute for people.
Absolutely this. I mix half Almond milk with half Full Cream all the time. Good mix of fat, protein and micronutrients.

Casein isn't a necessity. People can and do live without it. I do hope you stick around these boards and even search through them for info. While boards do also propagate misinformation, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on these boards (BB.com people tend to hate on us even though their board is full of parroted information which half of them don't even understand themselves).

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Well thank you for the advice. You are a good man and I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for being here.

G

guido6701

Awards
All: I'm good with the casein, just not the dairy. Everybody's a little different I guess. But, yeah, I'm just an almond milk kinda guy. And I'm with you on the boards. Some boards are worse than others but I like this forum the best. Just feel good to be here. Extra thanks to all who welcome the new guys (like me) here each and every day.

AntM/Jiigzz: Yeah, some muscleheads take extra stuff they don't need. But, again, it's not gonna knock me down and ruin all of my progress.

Quadmonster: Right back at you brother. I didn't mean any disrespect either.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Hey man its ok I understand. No hard feelings.

I like this board too. I would have been banned by now by many others but this board has some really cool people and I really enjoy being here and respect the fact that they put up with me. Allowing me to be here.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do hope you stick around these boards and even search through them for info.
This would probably be a good start for you quad, rather than making a new thread every time something pops in your head, try the search function.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Milk has casein and whey. Why wouldnt you want that before bed? Maybe not whole milk but 1% or skim is good.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Well that's what I thought too Slayer. But Milk does not agree with him so I understand. He can always use supplements for Casein.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Well that's what I thought too Slayer. But Milk does not agree with him so I understand. He can always use supplements for Casein.
Yes. I do skim milk with casein protein before bed so im hitting both;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Theres no need for casein so why would he supplement?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
It is beneficial to drink it before bed. I am in no way trying to think I know more than you. You are more advanced than I am. Just telling you what I have read.

What is your opinion?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd love to do a side by side comparison of people that think about all these little additions and timing of food and someone that simply understands how many calories he needs and has a decent idea of macros. I'd venture there would be nary a difference at all.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is beneficial to drink it before bed. I am in no way trying to think I know more than you. You are more advanced than I am. Just telling you what I have read.

What is your opinion?
Casein is not needed. One does not need to "feed" their muscles for an extended period of time while they sleep. Gains will not be lost if something fast digesting is consumed pre bed.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd love to do a side by side comparison of people that think about all these little additions and timing of food and someone that simply understands how many calories he needs and has a decent idea of macros. I'd venture there would be nary a difference at all.
There's a company called Renaissance Periodization that breaks it down as 50% calories, 25% macros, 10% timing, 10% food composition, and 5% to supplements and such. My numbers may be off from the book, but they're not far off.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those are just numbers for number geeks because you'd have to have two people with the same genetics, same programming, same rest, etc...My point being that these little tweaks make very little difference in the end and people get so caught up in it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those are just numbers for number geeks because you'd have to have two people with the same genetics, same programming, same rest, etc...My point being that these little tweaks make very little difference in the end and people get so caught up in it.
Fairly sure that was their point as well.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
There were 2 things you needed to look at
Her Reference:

REFERENCES
Kitahama, K. et al. (1986). Neonatal monosodium glutamine dosing alters the sleep-wake cycle of the mature rate. Neuroscience Letters. Vol. 67, Issue 2.

brb this is 2014 not 1986

and 2

She looks like she would fare better in another industry :)

SwoleyMammoth

SwoleyMammoth

Awards
There were 2 things you needed to look at Her Reference: REFERENCES Kitahama, K. et al. (1986). Neonatal monosodium glutamine dosing alters the sleep-wake cycle of the mature rate. Neuroscience Letters. Vol. 67, Issue 2. brb this is 2014 not 1986 and 2 She looks like she would fare better in another industry :)
One of the funniest posts I have ever read, kudos to you Solution.

J

JTR12

Banned
Awards
Seems silly to me, though I'm no huge fan of milk in general. Don't think I could put away a sirloin just before bed, though. Wouldn't digesting that thing affect sleep in some?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Obviously large meals are awful for sleep! Haven't you ever noticed how energized and awake everyone gets after Thanksgiving meals lol.

If eating messes with sleep skip it. If not and your hungry eat. This **** IS NOT COMPLICATED till YOU MAKE IT COMPLICATED!!!!!!!!!!

Almond milk makes shakes taste better IMO. If you can't have milk it is a nice alternative. Drinking it just to drink it really is no different than say crystal light or all the other non protein drinks people drink simply to enjoy.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Obviously large meals are awful for sleep! Haven't you ever noticed how energized and awake everyone gets after Thanksgiving meals lol.

If eating messes with sleep skip it. If not and your hungry eat. This **** IS NOT COMPLICATED till YOU MAKE IT COMPLICATED!!!!!!!!!!
not 100% True

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the evening, you induce "metabolic inflexibility" – effectively disrupting metabolic rate and increasing fat storage, risk of obesity, elevated insulin levels and a reduction in insulin sensitivity.

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the morning and afternoon, you increase metabolic flexibility – setting the metabolism for higher fat oxidation throughout the day. As LPL enzyme (splits up circulating fatty acids and makes them available for storage) is higher in muscle in the AM, fats are more likely to be burned off as energy or stored as lipid droplets within the muscle (IMTG).

-- By ingesting high-carb meals in the morning, the same “metabolic inflexibility” occurred, and the metabolism is fixed towards glucose oxidation instead of fat oxidation. This also increases fat storage from meals eaten during the day, and higher-fat meals eaten in the evening in particular.
-- By ingesting high-carb meals in the evening, you get a bump in the natural leptin signal (occurring 3-6hrs after going to sleep), essentially increasing fat burning through the night and the rest of the following day.

-- Insulin sensitivity is higher in all cells early in the day, including fat cells, but decreases towards the afternoon and evening, thus partitioning carbs ingested at this time more efficiently into muscle vs. fat. This is obviously further improved by training the muscle that day.

-- Eating carbs will increase the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin and make you sleepy. What better time to have your carbs than a couple of hours before bedtime so you can fall into a deeper, higher-quality sleep

R

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
not 100% True

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the evening, you induce "metabolic inflexibility" – effectively disrupting metabolic rate and increasing fat storage, risk of obesity, elevated insulin levels and a reduction in insulin sensitivity.

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the morning and afternoon, you increase metabolic flexibility – setting the metabolism for higher fat oxidation throughout the day. As LPL enzyme (splits up circulating fatty acids and makes them available for storage) is higher in muscle in the AM, fats are more likely to be burned off as energy or stored as lipid droplets within the muscle (IMTG).

-- By ingesting high-carb meals in the morning, the same “metabolic inflexibility” occurred, and the metabolism is fixed towards glucose oxidation instead of fat oxidation. This also increases fat storage from meals eaten during the day, and higher-fat meals eaten in the evening in particular.
-- By ingesting high-carb meals in the evening, you get a bump in the natural leptin signal (occurring 3-6hrs after going to sleep), essentially increasing fat burning through the night and the rest of the following day.

-- Insulin sensitivity is higher in all cells early in the day, including fat cells, but decreases towards the afternoon and evening, thus partitioning carbs ingested at this time more efficiently into muscle vs. fat. This is obviously further improved by training the muscle that day.

-- Eating carbs will increase the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin and make you sleepy. What better time to have your carbs than a couple of hours before bedtime so you can fall into a deeper, higher-quality sleep
I'd agree with this. Seems like everyone says carbs before bed is bad, but there's no doubt in my mind I sleep better have a bowl of cereal an hour or so before bed.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
not 100% True

And for the average non competing BB/weightlifter this is over complicating things. This is my opinion of course. For those that compete and want to make every little detail correct then yes I would agree with what you have wrote. Most people who are trying to get in shape are not out of shape because they eat their carbs and fats at the wrong time of day lol.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It does not matter what time of the day. The problem with most gym rats or people trying to get in shape is they do not understand their total caloric intake, their macro breakdown or meeting certain caloric allotments for their goal which is their downfall.

its not about eating just chicken, broccoli, oats, rice etc. Its about getting the proper portions and proper amount of calories without starving themself, or eating themself stupid to bulk up. Most people who try to cut do hours of cardio for no reason and starve themselves and then stall real quick and wonder why. Their total caloric intake is what is off.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It does not matter what time of the day. The problem with most gym rats or people trying to get in shape is they do not understand their total caloric intake, their macro breakdown or meeting certain caloric allotments for their goal which is their downfall.

its not about eating just chicken, broccoli, oats, rice etc. Its about getting the proper portions and proper amount of calories without starving themself, or eating themself stupid to bulk up. Most people who try to cut do hours of cardio for no reason and starve themselves and then stall real quick and wonder why. Their total caloric intake is what is off.
I agree with all this. I also agree with your original post. These days I am leaning more towards really basic approaches for most of the individuals I work with. In the past I tended to overwhelm individuals with information to the point that they ended up confused or focusing on the less important details and still not grasping the fundamentals.

The approach you posted is a great tool to achieve the type of conditioning you have in your avi and it is something I have personally done. I know for me I feel better energy wise with lower carbs in the morning and more fats/protein.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
What I always say is 90% of it is the easy part: kcals, protein intake and training. Get that down and then worry about having a steak or a shake before bed.

PS: very few of us can say we truly have our training and macros perfected, so for most of us this type of discussion, for the last 5% is worthless if it interferes with the rest of your life.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There were 2 things you needed to look at Her Reference: REFERENCES Kitahama, K. et al. (1986). Neonatal monosodium glutamine dosing alters the sleep-wake cycle of the mature rate. Neuroscience Letters. Vol. 67, Issue 2. brb this is 2014 not 1986 and 2 She looks like she would fare better in another industry :)
Constituents in milk act as a PPARa/d agonist

Just saying

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
not 100% True

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the evening, you induce "metabolic inflexibility" - effectively disrupting metabolic rate and increasing fat storage, risk of obesity, elevated insulin levels and a reduction in insulin sensitivity.

-- By ingesting high-fat meals in the morning and afternoon, you increase metabolic flexibility - setting the metabolism for higher fat oxidation throughout the day. As LPL enzyme (splits up circulating fatty acids and makes them available for storage) is higher in muscle in the AM, fats are more likely to be burned off as energy or stored as lipid droplets within the muscle (IMTG).

-- By ingesting high-carb meals in the morning, the same "metabolic inflexibility" occurred, and the metabolism is fixed towards glucose oxidation instead of fat oxidation. This also increases fat storage from meals eaten during the day, and higher-fat meals eaten in the evening in particular.

Im lost. You post this but later say its about total daily intake.

This post contradicts that

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im lost. You post this but later say its about total daily intake.

This post contradicts that
It is about daily intake, this individual you quoted above states nothing about total caloric intake, just how that individual chooses to ALLOT his intake and more carbs later at night, not X or Y amount of calories.