Why do so many young guys abuse alcohol when they lift?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
So I am just wondering why so many guys in their early or mid 20's continue to abuse alcohol on a regular basis?

Are these guys just looking for beach bodies and don't really want to take it to the next level? Or are many of them ignorant to the fact of what alcohol does to your body when it comes to lifting and growing?

I for one would never think of abusing alcohol. And on top of it, many of these guys are on gear and still continue to drink like crazy. I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. Is there main goal just to look good in the club and not compete?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Not everyone wants to compete, some would just want a beach looking body. That is fine. Personally I don't touch alcohol.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Abe I don't touch alcohol either. Been on that path when I was younger (Before I started lifting thank god) and now that I spend so much time in the gym I would never think of drinking something that could be detrimental to my gains. Working too hard and investing too much money to **** it up! That's right.

In my opinion anyone can look the best in a room of drunks. Put me on a stage among guys who compete and hand me an award and then that is something to be proud of in my personal opinion as an individual. That is what I am going for and it is my goal. I do everything to extremes when I get involved in something. Can be dangerous OCD so I do my best to involve myself and around positive activities and people.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I was against drinking and lifting until god blessed us with the Jersey shore...
:-/

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Or Joey Kovar!

Do you know how many times I have heard from people "Oh he drank like crazy! Looked good so I can do the same!"

Well now he is dead. RIP.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
^Haha what... An occasional drink should be fine, but I stay away from drinking all together.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Yes an occasional drink is ok. But for me, I never drank unless I wanted to get drunk. SO I don't drink.

I just didn't see the point of drinking unless I was going to get a great buzz going. So its not for me.

People wonder why drinking too much causes you to have man boobs. If only they understood it raises estrogen and lowers testosterone. I think if many of the young guys knew this they would stop drinking.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Because life is about fun, not just the gym.

If your life is the gym, you are seriously missing out on life. Drinking goes hand in hand with getting out there, socializing , meeting new people.

As much as I love the gym, I'm not sacrificing my social life for it.

And you may say you don't need alcohol to do that, well, you go to a club and stand on the middle of the dance floor being awkward as fawk and tell me alcohol wouldn't make the situation 1000x more enjoyable.

You shouldn't be so judgmental to others just because you don't get it yourself

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Also 99% of people that lift don't ever want to compete, just incase you didn't know

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I go to the club and social places without the use of alcohol and still have a great time. People ask me what I'm on! Haha I just say I just love a good party :D if you think you need it to party than use it, but I can have a lot fun without.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I go to the club and social places without the use of alcohol and still have a great time. People ask me what I'm on! Haha I just say I just love a good party :D if you think you need it to party than use it, but I can have a lot fun without.
Agreed, but it is still part of our culture. This OP is just a judgemental so and so that needs to get off his high horse. I bet every second word out his mouth is about the gym, absolutely detest people like that

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I just make the gym my nightclub on Friday or Saturdays. Then go to bed and enjoy my gains. To each their own man.

Also to be honest with you ya must be genetically gifted because you look good from your avatar. Keep up the good work in the gym.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, but it is still part of our culture. This OP is just a judgemental so and so that needs to get off his high horse. I bet every second word out his mouth is about the gym, absolutely detest people like that
Having sex with cousins used to be culture as well and in some places still is, your point? Just because everyone does it doesn't mean you have to. Not saying you shouldn't or should. Just don't want you to use that excuse it is the "norm". Drink because YOU want to, not because that is what you think our society calls for you.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Listen the kid looks good Abe. I just hope he understands the negative impact alcohol can have on his gains in the long run. I mean why would anyone want to drink every week knowing that it pretty much has the same effect as a guy who doesn't do PCT on a cycle?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't care if people drink, just drink because you want to, not because that is what you are expected to do or pressured into.
/endthread

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I just make the gym my nightclub on Friday or Saturdays. Then go to bed and enjoy my gains. To each their own man. Also to be honest with you ya must be genetically gifted because you look good from your avatar. Keep up the good work in the gym.
My friend, genetically , I am 60kg! Possibly the worst genetics a man could get, tall and skinny with tiny wrists

I just put in the work at the gym, but I also didn't ditch the social life for it. There needs to be a balance.

I don't gym to compete, I gym to look good for myself and my girlfriend, to always compete against myself at getting bigger and stronger, and then for vanity reasons that other people think I look good

We all know what alcohol does to us buddy. I'm sure you've eaten a packet of crisps before even though you know it's super bad for you.

Fun outweighs safety :)

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Having sex with cousins used to be culture as well and in some places still is, your point? Just because everyone does it doesn't mean you have to. Not saying you shouldn't or should. Just don't want you to use that excuse it is the "norm". Drink because YOU want to, not because that is what you think our society calls for you.
I drink very occasionally now, but I used to a lot more when I was younger. And I did it because it was fun, for no other reason.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Listen the kid looks good Abe. I just hope he understands the negative impact alcohol can have on his gains in the long run. I mean why would anyone want to drink every week knowing that it pretty much has the same effect as a guy who doesn't do PCT on a cycle?
Because gym isn't Everythjng to me. I don't go to do something and then be like, oh no wait, that is negative for the gym. If I want to do something , I do it, not everything in my life relates back to the gym

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Well there you go if you did for fun or pleasure that is perfectly fine. I have seen it abused and pushed on others too many times in my lifetime, so good to know you are not one of those. Quad, I believe is talking about the damage on young people 21age and below.. As they are in their peaking time and the use of alcohol can mess them up more so than someone older.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Well nice talking with you both on this subject. Its fun to debate and then shake hands after. Wish you all good luck in your lifts this weekend.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Well there you go if you did for fun or pleasure that is perfectly fine. I have seen it abused and pushed on others too many times in my lifetime, so good to know you are not one of those. Quad, I believe is talking about the damage on young people 21age and below.. As they are in their peaking time and the use of alcohol can mess them up more so than someone older.
here in the UK, its 18 to drink, and its actually far more responsible to drink a little as you get older, as opposed to hitting 21 and going manic, like most do. Having said that I openly admit I always drunk too much on nights out, more than I could handle

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Well nice talking with you both on this subject. Its fun to debate and then shake hands after. Wish you all good luck in your lifts this weekend.
Will actually be joining you on the weekend in.... study books and gym for me

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
So starting out of the womb have 1 beer for every birthday, so by 18 you will be drinking 18 beers. Lol

BrianFitness

BrianFitness

Awards
Not everyone wants to compete, some would just want a beach looking body. That is fine. Personally I don't touch alcohol.
^This.

Not everyone wants to make it a lifestyle. They just live it up for the heat of the moment~

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
To have this thing called fun and enjoy life

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
The same concept applies to mentally stressing over a perfect diet... most make unnecessary sacrifices. have a few drinks, eat pizza and ice cream, enjoy life....

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is the devil lol I stay away from getting drunk when even 15 weeks out from a competition

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Alcohol is the devil lol I stay away from getting drunk when even 15 weeks out from a competition
No more hulk juice for you!

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I have no clue and honestly the culture of drinking in college disgusts me. I am in a social fraternity but don't drink because I don't like the feeling of being drunk. Earlier today (at our formal / prom) a girl got EMT'd out because she drank a bottle of patron within 4hrs. last night a couple brothers got arrested. This is not having fun it is being irresponsible.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Damn that **** is real.. Went down to visit a friend at his college and there seems to be an ambulance there almost every day for things like the above.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
You could easily make a thread with the same implications on juicing . Why do so many guys in their 20s heck even 40s abuse juice when they aren't playing sports or doing it for a living. Just to look good lol

P

paul.dupre.90

Awards
Maybe less socializing and more lifting and you wouldn't be 60kg.....

Alpha314

Alpha314

Awards
A big plus in maintaining a trim 60 kg and another plus making the effort to workout and another major plus in realizing and also admitting to having on occasions drunk to excess, this adds up to a big positive mindset and things will only get better, i understand the implications of a person being born into a pub club drinking culture because i once resided in UK for a time and this is the lifestyle i experienced although now i do not bother with drinking and i am happy to party without it after all " its all in the mindset "

Chrysler

Chrysler

Awards
Because ~10% of the population is prone to addiction. I would guess moreso amongst avid gym goers as it takes a certain level of obsession and compulsion to achieve a certain level of fitness.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Because ~10% of the population is prone to addiction. I would guess moreso amongst avid gym goers as it takes a certain level of obsession and compulsion to achieve a certain level of fitness.
You have to pick your poison carefully..

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love to drink. I also know that when I'm on a ph cycle, not to touch the stuff. Not a drop. That being said, I don't know when the last time I was drunk. I pretty much enjoy a drink of some sort every night. Sipping a glass of merlot right now. All in moderation. Do these excess calories hurt my waistline? Yep. That just means more cardio. Lol.

Alpha314

Alpha314

Awards
Sure any pursuit of excellence requires a degree of dedication, it all depends on ones perspective as some would say i am obsessed although anyone in the business of bodybuilding would just say that i am trim and toned.

I am planning on running nano tren soon so i guess i may also be obsessed um er to a degree, a small degree ha ha

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I get absolutely ****faced once every two to three weeks. I mean friggin wasted. I use it as a cheat day and I often comeback to the gym.. after a day of rehydrating and lounging around all day.. stronger and leaner. I don't think alcohol is as bad as a lot of you are portraying it to be. I do just fine with it, as do others that I know. It kind of resets things for me after training hard for two to three weeks.

T

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
had plenty of nights drinking heavily when i was younger mostly before 21 now as im older i dont even care to drink anymore and when i do i feel the negative effects alcohol has on the body

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I stay away from alcohol. I put in all the hard work in the gym and i definitely don want to blow all my hard work for acouple drinks. haha

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
where do you come up with this bull****?!

Alpha314

Alpha314

Awards
I stay away from alcohol. I put in all the hard work in the gym and i definitely don want to blow all my hard work for acouple drinks. haha
Not only are you in CONTROL of your self you are also displaying the characteristics of an intelligent wise individual by choosing NOT to partake in the unnecessary consumption of this poisonous substance that has many addicts both young and old male and female ENSLAVED by its intoxicating effects

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Not only are you in CONTROL of your self you are also displaying the characteristics of an intelligent wise individual by choosing NOT to partake in the unnecessary consumption of this poisonous substance that has many addicts both young and old male and female ENSLAVED by its intoxicating effects
So those of us who choose to enjoy a beer or two with dinner a few nights a week are not intelligent, wise individuals?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I would like to add that there have been times in the past where I had a few drinks and then I woke up in the middle of the night with a guilty conscious. I really don't understand why I feel this way, its just how my mind is. So that is another reason I stopped drinking. When I was younger it never bothered me to go out and drink. But now for some reason I feel really bad about myself if I do drink. I just can't do it anymore without feeling guilty. The only way I would ever be able to enjoy drinking is if I had a valid reason to drink in celebration. A very very special occasion such as a dear friend coming home from the miltary that I haven't seen in years would be a perfect example.

I am just a different human being now than I was before. I love waking up with a clear head and energy to go to the gym early in the morning. I also really am the happiest when I am at the gym on the weekend compared to a club or bar.