Aspirin and protein synthesis

nprestia

nprestia

Awards
I've heard a couple people tell me that over the counter aspirin can effect your protein synthesis.. Im just wondering if this is actually true or not because I purposely haven't been taking it for minor headaches etc..

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've heard a couple people tell me that over the counter aspirin can effect your protein synthesis.. Im just wondering if this is actually true or not because I purposely haven't been taking it for minor headaches etc..
Chronic use of NSAIDS absolutely will

Taking it when you get a headache on occasion will have no real impact

Inflammation is part of the growth process, pretty much anything that dulls pain will have an impact

nprestia

nprestia

Awards
Ok thank you, I only take them every once in a while if I get a bad headache from work or something so I wanted to make sure it wasn't effect if anything

max d

Awards
  • Established
Actually, you are partially correct. Try and stay away from NSAIDS up to 4 hours before your work out if you dont take them frequently. HOWEVER, an article that was on here a couple weeks ago about ArA cited a study that showed constant use of NSAIDS did not interfere. I cant remember but I think it clogs certain receptors at a certain point.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Actually, you are partially correct. Try and stay away from NSAIDS up to 4 hours before your work out if you dont take them frequently. HOWEVER, an article that was on here a couple weeks ago about ArA cited a study that showed constant use of NSAIDS did not interfere. I cant remember but I think it clogs certain receptors at a certain point.
On the other hand it lowers Testosterone with chronic use, I would stick to avoiding it if possible.
Also GI complications, etc.

NSAIDS have a lot of side effects, as will any drug but because these are OTC the number of instances with issues are large and the problems are well known

Swolljaboi

Awards
What about taking baby aspirin pre bed for blood pressure?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If the aspirin is needed for a medical reason then there is no question it should be used.

I would always suggest trying to fix the issue via diet/exercise so it would no longer be needed.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's likely not going to make a bit of damn difference in the long run. If you're sore or have a headache that necessitates the use of a pain reliever use one lol. It's not going to hurt your gains ;)

As far as lowering T Levels, the only study done on a large population of men found that it only lowered T in inactive and obese men.

Don't sweat the small ****, eat and train hard, done

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^

Sports Med, 2012 vol. 42(12) pp. 1017-28
The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for exercise-induced muscle damage: implications for skeletal muscle development
Schoenfeld, BJ
Exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD) is a common condition resulting from a bout of vigorous exercise, particularly if the individual is unaccustomed to performance of the given movement. Symptoms of EIMD include delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and a loss of physical function. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are routinely prescribed post-exercise to alleviate these symptoms and restore normal physical function. Of potential concern for those who use NSAIDs to treat EIMD is the possibility that they may impair the adaptive response to exercise. Specifically, there is emerging evidence that the action of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes, and COX-2 in particular, are important and even necessary to achieve maximal skeletal muscle hypertrophy in response to functional overload. Given that NSAIDs exert their actions by blocking COX and thus suppressing prostaglandin production, a theoretical rationale exists whereby these drugs may have detrimental effects on muscle regeneration and supercompensation. Therefore, the purpose of this article is to extensively review the literature and evaluate the effects of NSAIDs on muscle growth and development. Based on current evidence, there is little reason to believe that the occasional use of NSAIDs will negatively affect muscle growth, although the efficacy for their use in alleviating inflammatory symptoms remains questionable. Evidence on the hypertrophic effects of the chronic use of NSAIDs is less clear. In those who are untrained, it does not appear that regular NSAID use will impede growth in the short term, and at least one study indicates that it may in fact have a positive impact. Given their reported impairment of satellite cell activity, however, longer-term NSAID use may well be detrimental, particularly in those who possess greater growth potential.