First week of bulking gone awry :(

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
I made this post in bulking, but I'm worried not many will see it and I need some help. (http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/257152-nutritional-conundrum-bulking.html) Mods feel free to delete it.

Here goes:

Last week began an 8 week bulk/lean gaining phase. I track all my macros with myfitnesspal and set myself at 2584 -or about bw (at the time)x17.

I also began ostarine last week as well and the initial hunger overtook me, so between last monday and yesterday (sunday), I'm about 5300 calories over my BULKING calories. I went WAY over thurs, friday and yesterday.

So that's an addition 5k worth of calories for the week on top of a surplus of 300-500 per day. I did do two hiit sessions last week as well (tuesday and friday).

The program I'm on is a cyclical bulking cycle, which has me doing 10 days of bulking and 4 days of cutting with a lyle mcdonald psmf/glycogen depletion approach for the fat loss days.

I know I have a few options for controlling this 5k damage.

1. Not care
2. Do hiit tonight and liss tomorrow (with yohimbine) and maybe once more later in the week.
3. Lower calories by about 100 or so and begin preparing for the fat loss stage of this program. (There is still one more heavy lifting day and I'm on day 8 out of ten for the bulking phase).

I'm thinking of either doing hiit tonight and liss tomorrow morning paired with lowering calories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally, I would "not care" but do everything I can to stay on track from this point forward. If it continues then added cardio would be a must, IMO.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally look at my cal intake on a weekly basis. If I go over one or two days, I will go under that amount in the same week. If it is a different week however, jut deal with it and get back on track.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Just for clarification, your TDEE is approx what? You have X cal you want to eat to bulk, and you went 5300 over!!?? Meaning you ate ~8000 cal? I'm not too familiar with osta to make any comments on it, but to answer your diet question, that's up to you. Eating that much over your "bulking goal" will drastically alter your results. I may not be understanding you completely. I personally ate 500 cal over my ~TDEE on a halo run and felt like I limited myself, in retrospect. By your avi, you're really lean. I don't know if you want to just "get as big as possible" on this run. If so, just eat as much as you can. If you want to do a bulk/lean as you stated, keep it tighter to your TDEE. My guess is that you incorrectly calculated your TDEE if you ate 5300 over.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would "not care" but do everything I can to stay on track from this point forward. If it continues then added cardio would be a must, IMO.
Of course. Here on out everything will be on track.

I personally look at my cal intake on a weekly basis. If I go over one or two days, I will go under that amount in the same week. If it is a different week however, jut deal with it and get back on track.
You go weekly as in monday-friday or monday-monday?

For me this would be the beginning of a new calorie week.

This is the way I'm looking at it: my normal bulking surplus is about 2700 cals per week. Add the additional 5k worth of damage (this was ice cream, oreos, chicken rolls, almonds) and I was at a 7800 calorie surplus last week.

This friday begins the fat loss phase of the program. It ends monday afternoon. During that time I'm at half-maintenance with protein being at 1.5g/lb. So that's about 1200 cals. Over 3 days, that's a 3600 calorie deficit, but in reality it's only a 2000 calorie deficit considering monday-thursday is still part of the bulking phase.

I might be over thinking this

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Just for clarification, your TDEE is approx what? You have X cal you want to eat to bulk, and you went 5300 over!!?? Meaning you ate ~8000 cal? I'm not too familiar with osta to make any comments on it, but to answer your diet question, that's up to you. Eating that much over your "bulking goal" will drastically alter your results. I may not be understanding you completely. I personally ate 500 cal over my ~TDEE on a halo run and felt like I limited myself, in retrospect. By your avi, you're really lean. I don't know if you want to just "get as big as possible" on this run. If so, just eat as much as you can. If you want to do a bulk/lean as you stated, keep it tighter to your TDEE. My guess is that you incorrectly calculated your TDEE if you ate 5300 over.
I calculated my tdee at 2584. When I set out I was 152. So 152x17 = 2584. I began bulking last monday and this morning I was 161. It's probably just water and poo. That's not the point lol

The point is I went 5300 cals over my weekly calories. I basically did 1500-1800 over last thursday, friday, and yesterday (sunday).

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If it were me I wouldn't put too much worry into that problem. I don't think it'll have too much of an impact in your overall goal. Then again I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. so that 5k wouldn't be a huge deal for me.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
If it were me I wouldn't put too much worry into that problem. I don't think it'll have too much of an impact in your overall goal. Then again I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. so that 5k wouldn't be a huge deal for me.
You have about 40 lbs over me.

Whatever, I'm just going to go HAM with the cutting phase of this program and not do that again.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If worst comes to worst Calculate out a days worth of food
cook it and eat it and move forward.
Just like you do what you cut and when you bulk. Hit your intake, move forward
have a cheat meal here or there and do not stress it. Your not 2 weeks out from a show and this is something you do as a hobby. Not like we get paychecks for counting calories.

In the end you are the one that determines what you put down your mouth and you are in charge of your own actions and what you consume. Learn some self control, moderation, and also discipline. Just like you do with hitting the weights, cardio, and getting to the gym. Same applies to your food and meals.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
If worst comes to worst Calculate out a days worth of food
cook it and eat it and move forward.
Just like you do what you cut and when you bulk. Hit your intake, move forward
have a cheat meal here or there and do not stress it. Your not 2 weeks out from a show and this is something you do as a hobby. Not like we get paychecks for counting calories.

In the end you are the one that determines what you put down your mouth and you are in charge of your own actions and what you consume. Learn some self control, moderation, and also discipline. Just like you do with hitting the weights, cardio, and getting to the gym. Same applies to your food and meals.
Eh, I was trying to get this fitness modeling gig, but decided to add some muscle to my frame before I decide on it.

The leanest I've been is 149 at 7.9% and that was pretty good. I know how to get lean quickly and properly, it's just bulking is when **** hits the fan.

And it wasn't about calculating. I hit my goals every day and there's a great sense of accomplishment that comes with that, it's just I got into the false sense of "eat whatever you want because you're bulking" for the first few days... intermittently.

Obviously I'll readjust my surplus calories after the 4 day cut phase, reassess, and plan out and calculate the cheats if I have one. Note, a cheat for me is just food I wouldn't normally eat like burgers and fries.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I would go with option 1. I never feel the need to restrict when I go overboard with eating. Just pick up where you left off

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would go with option 1. I never feel the need to restrict when I go overboard with eating. Just pick up where you left off
Yup
A slip up even when not competing or getting ready for anything means nothing .
Think about in 2 weeks
will it matter? no...

Just get back on track.