Red meat Vs. chicken or turkey

W

warrior737

Awards
I believe red meat like ground beef produces better gains vs chicken or ground turkey? I seem to get better gains from beef or steak vs chicken or turkey. My muscle hardness also seems better. ( I do also supplement with creatine). I noticed I have to eat less red meat at a sitting to feel satisfied. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Not on my part. Carbs plays a bigger role in my diet than types of protein sources. As long as I get ~200g+ of protein I feel good.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Some feels diff though. It's not abnormal to experience what you're feeling. I've come across people who can relate to you

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its in your head

W

warrior737

Awards
My brother in law is a lifter also and a huge red meat advocate. He turned me on to it after a year of me eating chicken and ground turkey seeing minimal results in strength gains or body comp changes. I felt like it was some what counter productive. I shredded up a bit but lost a lot of size and strength. While maintaining similar Bf %. Don't get me wrong I still love turkey and chicken. But my lifts seemed to go up again and my body comp changed slightly with the red meat. Im still lean but stronger. Not sure about my cholesterol though. lol.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't notice a physical difference, but I bet if you recorded me eating a bloody rare steak I'd have a larger smile on my face than I would eating chicken.

W

warrior737

Awards
I can eat a lb of steak or a lb of chicken. After the chicken I want a snack. After the steak I want a nap. I definitely like to hear others thoughts on this. I know everyone body is different. And it takes more energy to digest red meat. or so they say. But I'm talking about strength, size gains, and body comp changes. O natural. un adulterated. This was off any kind of cycle at all times while testing this theory of mine.

W

warrior737

Awards
I can't notice a physical difference, but I bet if you recorded me eating a bloody rare steak I'd have a larger smile on my face than I would eating chicken.
nom nom nom bloody steak. I like mine to moo still.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can eat a lb of steak or a lb of chicken. After the chicken I want a snack. After the steak I want a nap. I definitely like to hear others thoughts on this. I know everyone body is different. And it takes more energy to digest red meat. or so they say. But I'm talking about strength, size gains, and body comp changes. O natural. un adulterated. This was off any kind of cycle at all times while testing this theory of mine.
I've never really heard of anyone sticking to red meats only or heavily enough, for long enough, to be able to compare the two and how they affect overall gains.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Chicken as appetizer, steak as main

Problem solved :)

beastinc

beastinc

Awards
Red meats > "lean" meats

Tastier. Solid combination of fat + protein.
Usually 2 servings/day minimum.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There will not be a difference in terms of body comp. I only eat red meat occasionally, they sit in my stomach like a brick.

beastinc

beastinc

Awards
There will not be a difference in terms of body comp. I only eat red meat occasionally, they sit in my stomach like a brick.
Important to note ^^^

Body composition is not directly related to individual food choices and will be a function of your entire daily dietary intake.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I believe red meat like ground beef produces better gains vs chicken or ground turkey?
interesting question
do I feel there is a difference? well, I do subscribe to and agree with Dorian Yates motto, ie red meat is more anabolic than others..
do I think it will play the same for everybody tho? nope
when you eat massive amounts of calories (and red meat) for extended periods of time, then yes perhaps one may be able to tell the difference more...

as for body comp:
depending on the grade of meat you are eating (ie, fat %), if you end up consuming more fat because of that venture and therefore tipping your fat % and overall intake enough, then yes it could very well play a part in testosterone production in the natural training athlete..cholesterol levels and overall fat intake certainly play a role in natural test production..

Its in your head
isn't that a function in and of itself tho? :D
I mean placebro is placebro - but if the mind is stronger than we think it is, and we have this placebo effect that we believe is making a difference - who's to say that that cannot influence the outcome?
:dunno:

I've never really heard of anyone sticking to red meats only or heavily enough, for long enough, to be able to compare the two and how they affect overall gains.
you haven't followed me long enough :p

I used to eat mostly solely red meat for a long time, and it still is a fav of mine and majority of what I eat, but I also like to mix in portions of other meats (chicken/turkey/tuna/salmon etc) and eat simultaneously, like an equal portion of beef + _____ (fill in the blank) at each serving

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This..
Can't eat much beef/steak or else it bloats me to no end. Wish it was different or i would eat more of it often.
Whole eggs are fine on my system, but different sources of fats tend to digest much better, so I stick to what suits my body and digestive tract.
The best method is to rotate your protein sources and see what suits you best as an individual, there are plus's of using all of them with various micronutrients and vitamins/minerals. None should be avoided unless there are personal problems or digestion problems that may cause discomfort or bloating.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had the money I'd be eating steaks all day long!. Three times a week minimum. If it sits in your stomach eat more fiber or get a fiber supplement. I use psyllium husk daily. It's the one supplement I absolutely won't go without. Meat never bloats me at all. Carbs on the other hand turn me into the "Stay-Puffed marshmallow man!.".

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
there are plus's of using all of them with various micronutrients and vitamins/minerals. None should be avoided unless there are personal problems or digestion problems that may cause discomfort or bloating.
for GP, yes this should be the guiding principle for 99% of the guys out there
balance is a good thing

W

warrior737

Awards
This..
Can't eat much beef/steak or else it bloats me to no end. Wish it was different or i would eat more of it often.
Whole eggs are fine on my system, but different sources of fats tend to digest much better, so I stick to what suits my body and digestive tract.
The best method is to rotate your protein sources and see what suits you best as an individual, there are plus's of using all of them with various micronutrients and vitamins/minerals. None should be avoided unless there are personal problems or digestion problems that may cause discomfort or bloating.
I love eggs as well but my heart intermittently races. I forgot what its called. But eggs alone don't tend to sit well with my body unless added to something else. Sort of sucks. I use to smash down 6-8 eggs a day easy.

W

warrior737

Awards
If I had the money I'd be eating steaks all day long!. Three times a week minimum. If it sits in your stomach eat more fiber or get a fiber supplement. I use psyllium husk daily. It's the one supplement I absolutely won't go without. Meat never bloats me at all. Carbs on the other hand turn me into the "Stay-Puffed marshmallow man!.".

Same here carbs will bloat me up.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I get plenty of fiber, I don't know if red meat digests slower than white meats. However, it does not mean I don't like red meat, I cannot resist bison!

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and I'm homebound *DA NA NA NA NA NA NA*
am i the only one who sang this while reading?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not unheard of for someone to achieve a higher satiety effect from different macros or combos thereof. I can straight go to town on carbs where fat and protein as found in red meat leaves me feeling full.

You also have to realize that oz for oz red meat is going to contain quite a bit more calories

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I feel like a ****ing beast when i eat me up some pork. Chops, loins, roast, bbq whatever... it strokes my appetite and makes feel charged up. Problem is i can eat way too much of it so i mostly stay away from pork. I feel like a fat kid with a half gallon of ice cream. Never seen better muscle fullness from various protein sources tho.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
The food choice in general wont increase gains based on a direct comparison... now comparing sirloin to chicken id take the steak for the fat and calorie content over chicken

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The food choice in general wont increase gains based on a direct comparison... now comparing sirloin to chicken id take the steak for the fat and calorie content over chicken
If he's not counting cals or paying attention to macros, the food choice on a direct comparison WILL increase gains due to the differences in calorie density in chicken or turkey vs red meat.

OP, you stated that you feel full faster and feel fuller, harder and stronger when you eat red meat. I think snags touched on the point itself a little also. You may want to look into your fat intake as it sounds like when you're eating red meat you are benefitting from the fat intake.

You also may be noticing more from the additional calories that red meat provides

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
If he's not counting cals or paying attention to macros, the food choice on a direct comparison WILL increase gains due to the differences in calorie density in chicken or turkey vs red meat.

OP, you stated that you feel full faster and feel fuller, harder and stronger when you eat red meat. I think snags touched on the point itself a little also. You may want to look into your fat intake as it sounds like when you're eating red meat you are benefitting from the fat intake.

You also may be noticing more from the additional calories that red meat provides
Of course im taking in consideration overall macro consumption... apples to apples red meat will provide more "gains" and not to mention tastes better :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Of course im taking in consideration overall macro consumption... apples to apples red meat will provide more "gains" and not to mention tastes better :)
I assumed you were :). Just making sure he knew lol

W

warrior737

Awards

I was also thinking the increased fat content should have something to do with it.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I'm strictly on chicken right now due to my low paying factory job. :( hope I get that raise in 2.5 months cause 11.25 an hr ain't **** when you got bills and a 2 year old.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Maybe ur body just prefers red meat?? I eat game and chicken twice a day and dnt realy feel satisfied haha always ****ing hungry

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It's not unheard of for someone to achieve a higher satiety effect from different macros or combos thereof. I can straight go to town on carbs where fat and protein as found in red meat leaves me feeling full.

You also have to realize that oz for oz red meat is going to contain quite a bit more calories
I feel this needs to be reiterated.. red meat has a combination of fat and protein wherwas chicken breast is predominantly protein.. calorie wise this makes a difference

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love Red Meat. I eat a lot of Venison !

W

warrior737

Awards
Venison stew is my favorite. Marinate the venison in oj for a few days prior.I love to add the liver to it as well.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One more month til rifle season...

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Seriously? Wth?

I have a bow too but need some work with it before participating in bow seasons.
shotgun,bow, and muzzle loader. I just do shotgun

T

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
i personally just cant do chicken or tuna constantly cant stand them

wish i had some guys to go hunting with or friends who hunt would like years worth of game meat

jaces

jaces

Awards
i personally just cant do chicken or tuna constantly cant stand them

wish i had some guys to go hunting with or friends who hunt would like years worth of game meat
Take a cooking coarse ,, helps if you can spice it in different ways