Zero-calorie sweeteners may trigger blood sugar spikes

blurryimage

blurryimage

Awards
  • Established
Zero-calorie sweeteners may trigger blood sugar risk by screwing with gut bacteria.

Any one else reading the latest news on these sweeteners? So my zero cal Splenda could jacking my blood sugar up. Now I know lots a people will start in with these being bad for all the other reasons ie... Cancer and stuff. But who would have guessed blood sugar?

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
There is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners when used in moderation!

blurryimage

blurryimage

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners when used in moderation!
I use them but if I am trying to fast or whatever I am going to start skipping the sweetener in my coffee or other zero cal drinks.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know the study you are talking about. Will comment more on it later but for now, from what I read, I wouldnt be too concerned

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I know the study you are talking about. Will comment more on it later but for now, from what I read, I wouldnt be too concerned
This right here! Also dont forget about supplements you take bro. Bcaas, preworkout, etc. all have artificial sweeteners.

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I saw this in the news a couple of days ago.

From personal experience, I find the study comfirms what I've discovered a long time ago with the use of artificial sweeteners, which I was ingesting through pre-workout powders and other workout products.

Despite the many shortcomings of this study, I can tell without any shade of doubt that for me, from various tests I put myself through with artifical sweeteners, they mess up my whole internal bacterial balance, make me gain water weight, and make me feel unbalanced in general. They just don't seem right for my body and I've had to eliminate them all.

I can also say 100% that I feel they spike up my insulin levels just like normal sugar as well. This of course might only be a subjective thing and won't be the same for everyone, but listen to what your body tells you...

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Yeah I saw this in the news a couple of days ago. From personal experience, I find the study comfirms what I've discovered a long time ago with the use of artificial sweeteners, which I was ingesting through pre-workout powders and other workout products. Despite the many shortcomings of this study, I can tell without any shade of doubt that for me, from various tests I put myself through with artifical sweeteners, they mess up my whole internal bacterial balance, make me gain water weight, and make me feel unbalanced in general. They just don't seem right for my body and I've had to eliminate them all. I can also say 100% that I feel they spike up my insulin levels just like normal sugar as well. This of course might only be a subjective thing and won't be the same for everyone, but listen to what your body tells you...
You serious...? Your the first person i have ever heard of that can feel their insulin spiked! Hah

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
Well, like I said it's subjective. I never even suspected the artificial sweeteners would be the culprit when I felt really unbalanced and had GI issues until I eliminated them. I mean, the difference is night and day between taking and not taking them for me.

Sometimes the things that people take for granted won't ever cause any harm to them because it's what the mainstream has led us to believe, aren't that harmless after all. I realise this is not what many supplement companies want to hear, as artificial sweetners are loaded in most powdered supplements nowadays, but that's just the way it is for me...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I use them but if I am trying to fast or whatever I am going to start skipping the sweetener in my coffee or other zero cal drinks.
Martin from LG.com even states you can use up to 50 calories before your truly breaking a fast
a few splendas are fine man. dont stress this.