carb refeed glycogen store question

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I am on a cut right now and I do one refeed day a week where I basically eat a ton of carbs and lower my fat and protein intake and hit my maintance cal intake for the day.

My questions is: I would like to take advantage of my carb refeed day by being able to utilize those carbs that will be stored as glycogen for leg day, and so when should I eat them? In the morning, 2 hrs before I lift legs, or should I make the refeed day the day before legs to allow the carbs to be stored as glycogen? How long does it take for your body to fill up its glycogen stores? Keep in mind, I am eating carbs like pankakes, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, quinoa as my carb sources.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
When I use to do refeeds like this id workout fasted then spend the rest of the day carb loading...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I am on a cut right now and I do one refeed day a week where I basically eat a ton of carbs and lower my fat and protein intake and hit my maintance cal intake for the day.

My questions is: I would like to take advantage of my carb refeed day by being able to utilize those carbs that will be stored as glycogen for leg day, and so when should I eat them? In the morning, 2 hrs before I lift legs, or should I make the refeed day the day before legs to allow the carbs to be stored as glycogen? How long does it take for your body to fill up its glycogen stores? Keep in mind, I am eating carbs like pankakes, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, quinoa as my carb sources.
Anytime you fuel a workout with carbs it would aid glycogen and energy, so yes that would be great
If you train in the AM, carb loading the night before may help store glycogen stores to aid your early morning workout.
In the end i would suggest putting them around your workout for optimal performance.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
I agree with above^^^ But I would also say that in my experience, if a refeed is needed that often, then you are likely underfeeding to extremely the rest of the time. What I typically do with my clients is have them refeed when their strength goes down significantly. This takes tracking closely your performance in the gym though....if you want to get really crazy with it, I'll sometimes have clients track their body temps for more info about how their metabolism is running