Sodium Pre-Workout

  1. New Member
    avega17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    62307
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%

    Sodium Pre-Workout


    I understand that sodium causes increases in blood volume via fluid retention, which then increases BP. And sodium is also involved in muscular contraction via excitation to release Ca++.

    My question is: is there any benefit to adding some salt or sodium to my pre-workout? How about sodium bicarbonate? I do sweat a lot, so I am losing some there. Not really getting in any other electrolytes immediately pre- or intra-workout either.

  2. Senior Member
    cumminslifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,018
    Rep Power
    1830887
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    15.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    sodium bicarbonate has benefits in itself. This would depend on how much sodium you are getting daily and how much you are getting in a pre workout meal
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  3. New Member
    rodefeeh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    566143
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    30.7%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    In for responses.

    Here's my two cents and I'm no nutritionist. Unless you are eating super healthy, everything you eat is fresh, nothing pre-packaged, then I'm guessing you get enough sodium in your diet. Every non-fresh food I eat is crammed with sodium - mustard, seasonings(anything that adds flavor), yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey bacon, deli meat, canned tuna cheese, protein powders. I'm sure I'm forgetting others. I try my best to limit my sodium but it's hard.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    avega17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    62307
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%

    Quote Originally Posted by rodefeeh View Post
    In for responses.

    Here's my two cents and I'm no nutritionist. Unless you are eating super healthy, everything you eat is fresh, nothing pre-packaged, then I'm guessing you get enough sodium in your diet. Every non-fresh food I eat is crammed with sodium - mustard, seasonings(anything that adds flavor), yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey bacon, deli meat, canned tuna cheese, protein powders. I'm sure I'm forgetting others. I try my best to limit my sodium but it's hard.
    Looking back at my intake tracking from the past two weeks, it seems like i get around 2500 - 3500 mg per day, not including added salt which is pretty minimal anyways. I know the optimal range for healthy individuals is 2000 - 4000 mg per day, but I was wondering if dosing some immediately pre workout would confer any benefit to the workout.
  5. New Member
    avega17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    62307
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%

    Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    sodium bicarbonate has benefits in itself. This would depend on how much sodium you are getting daily and how much you are getting in a pre workout meal
    I'm getting about 500 mg about 3 hours pre-workout right now, an average of ~3000 mg a day.
  6. New Member
    rodefeeh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    566143
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    30.7%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by avega17 View Post
    Looking back at my intake tracking from the past two weeks, it seems like i get around 2500 - 3500 mg per day, not including added salt which is pretty minimal anyways. I know the optimal range for healthy individuals is 2000 - 4000 mg per day, but I was wondering if dosing some immediately pre workout would confer any benefit to the workout.
    Wow, you're way ahead of me then
  7. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29810
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    95.96%

    I put 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt in with my intra-workout along with 1/4 teaspoon potassium chloride just to get more electrolytes in during training.

    I've also read the sea salt helps give you more of a pump especially used in conjunction with intra-workout carbs.
  8. Senior Member
    cumminslifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,018
    Rep Power
    1830887
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    15.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    i dont really see adding salt benefiting you much then, you could look into sodium bicarbonate as it has benefits on its own as i stated before
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  9. Elite Member
    RegisterJr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    8,516
    Rep Power
    3666008
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    I rarely add any salts to foods, but I also don't completely avoid it. Like another poster said, it's loaded in some of the processed foods/sauces.

    Salts are an electrolyte, so some certainly won't hurt, but I'm not so certain adding it into your pre is beneficial unless you've downed quit a bit of water prior to, flushing out your electrolytes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post
    I've also read the sea salt helps give you more of a pump especially used in conjunction with intra-workout carbs.
    ^^ and this too. Since I quit avoiding salts like a plague, I've noticed a little more of a fuller effect in the gym, or pump, and not just with sea salt. Mine are usually taken in the night before though.

    You could always trial it out over a week and see how you respond to a little salts pre.
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website atFINAFLEX.com


  10. Board Sponsor
    Swolbraham's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,187
    Rep Power
    1586600
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    i love sodium pre workout, pumps for days. two rice cakes and iodized salt sprinkled all over... mmmmm
    Myokem Rep - Join The Lab!
    Defy Limitations
  11. New Member
    avega17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    62307
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%

    Alright, thanks for the replies.

    Gonna try some sea salt this coming week.
  12. New Member
    rhoadx's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    503922
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    53.29%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Never done a Keto diet but iirc there is recommendation to consume broth at certain points; I believe it's for muscle contractions and a pump. Not sure but maybe someone with more knowledge of the Keto diet can chime in on this.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Vitamin C Pre-Workout?
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  2. Pre-Workout more important than Post Workout?
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
  3. Pinning: Pre-workout or Post-workout?
    By Greenguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:10 AM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. pre workout booster
    By goldylight in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in