Best Bang for Your Buck Veggie

CNPComicNerd

Awards
I have trouble reaching my proteins needs by the end of the day so I tend to focus on getting more meat in my diet rather than getting multiple vegetables some days. So I always try to focus on getting the best vegetable I can so I'm not completely unhealthy. I've been using spinach/kale and edamame as my go to vegetables and I was wondering if anyone else only eats a few vegetables or just knows one or two that might be better a better bang for my buck or if I'm doing ok.

digitalducki

digitalducki

Awards
  • Established
I don't think edemame is a veggie my man. Pretty sure it's a legume

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, squash.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Broccoli, Green Beans, Lettuce, Aspargus are my fav's then Onions/Peppers in a stifry.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have a salad most everyday with Lunch, and than some Broccoli, Green Beans, or Asparagus with dinner

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Whats your weight?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you can't or won't eat veggies, get some greens powders. Typically, 1 tablespoon has the nutritional value equivalency of 3-5 vegetables servings. Not sure I believe in the claims but even at half that, these powders make sense.

Toss a tablespoon down your pie hole with each meal. They are chalk full of many added invaluable components too you won't find in our grocery store veggies depleted of vitamins and minerals; like pre and probiotics, etc.

These greens powders are broad-spectrum containing a variety of quality greens freeze fried and dehydrated and turned into a powder and are allegedly much more nutrient rich than vegetables.

I happen to love veggies but augment my diet with these as well.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ooh, haven't heard of the greens powders. Sounds interesting.

By far the cheapest around here are green beans and broccoli. Asparagus and brussel sprouts are my favorite though.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right now I've been eating a lot of green beans, broccoli, romaine, mushrooms, carrots, and cucumbers since they've been on sale.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All Green

Gives This a Try Made by the same people as EVL Supplements

Attachments

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I've been using spinach/kale and edamame
A CNP fanboy eating soy? Whut?
I was wondering if anyone else only eats a few vegetables or just knows one or two that might be better a better bang for my buck or if I'm doing ok.
I barely eat vegetables.
I eat onions, broccoli, and brussels (steam bags in the frozen food aisle - they're cheap and convenient) primarily. I use a multivitamin. If vegetables are an issue for you, then just eat some delicious organs. Throw liver in anything and I guarantee people stop stealing your food.

While I'm bringing up CNP - you're having trouble getting in proteins and vegatables in? get on stewroids. If you eat stew all day, you're guaranteed to hit your macros.

CNPComicNerd

Awards
Awesome thanks everyone for the tips! I'll look into the green powders and other veggies. CNP is definitely a fun read but how I got my name is kind of embarrassing and I decided to risk soy in exchange for more protein.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if its possible where you live .... but grow your own every chance you get. And use non-GMO seeds from a reputable seed bank. Not the seeds or plant starts from your local big-box store .... they are GMO. If you do this you will have an abundance of healthy, pesticide free, non-gmo veggies for pennies on the dollar and more seeds than you need to continue to infinity. That being said, if you are in an apartment situation or other living situation that does not provide much growing space do the online research and you will see that where there's a will there's a way.

For example .... picked fresh this morning from my front yard garden (removed the useless lawn 2yrs ago and built a nice looking garden)

Green beans
Serrano peppers
Bell peppers
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Cucumber
Zucchini
Beefsteak tomatoes
Strawberries
Thyme
Basil

YUM .... good greens ! When winter rolls around I will be harvesting Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, and Broccoli

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha! That's killer bro! Great dedication. ;)

No way 99% of the people here (myself included) have the time and dedication/discipline for such a practice but I'm envious of you!

manstr

manstr

Awards
Not sure if its possible where you live .... but grow your own every chance you get. And use non-GMO seeds from a reputable seed bank. Not the seeds or plant starts from your local big-box store .... they are GMO. If you do this you will have an abundance of healthy, pesticide free, non-gmo veggies for pennies on the dollar and more seeds than you need to continue to infinity. That being said, if you are in an apartment situation or other living situation that does not provide much growing space do the online research and you will see that where there's a will there's a way. For example .... picked fresh this morning from my front yard garden (removed the useless lawn 2yrs ago and built a nice looking garden) Green beans Serrano peppers Bell peppers Cantaloupe Watermelon Cucumber Zucchini Beefsteak tomatoes Strawberries Thyme Basil YUM .... good greens ! When winter rolls around I will be harvesting Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, and Broccoli
Bravo man. Why non-gmo?

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Bravo man. Why non-gmo?
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) specifically genetically modified veggies contain unnatural chemical and biological compounds that reduce the health benefits of the food and in some cases cause problems with our health. GMOs are created when a gene from one species is transferred to another, creating something that would not be found in nature. Best to stay with the way nature intended. More nutrients .... more good food. And a plus being that you will produce viable seeds from your veggies to plant next season. Most GMO veggies have been altered to not produce seeds (seedless watermelon) or to produce sterile seeds .... to keep you having to buy their seeds each season. Another thing to consider is that GMO fruits and veggies tend to require a lot of fertilizer and pesticides whereas the natural veggies and fruits do not. Personally I do not use anything other than organic fertilizer in my garden (consisting mostly of home made compost and cow manure) and zero pesticides. Many natural fruits and veggies produce their own pesticide protection phytochemicals. This is another nasty scheme by Monsonto and other chem companies .... create the GMO's then sell the farmer tons of chemical fertilizers and pesticides he/she otherwise would not need .... create the problem to create the solution ... at a cost.

There has even been a recent case where the 'golden rice' primarily produced in and for sale in India contains Human Liver Cells !!! Why on earth they thought it necessary to genetically modify rice with Human Liver Cells is beyond me but if that doesn't raise a red flag then I don't know what will.

So .... long story short .... eat what nature intended and get all the health benefits.

A few good links to get you pointed in the right direction regarding GMO's .... I know I feel better and I have been eating solely out of my garden ( and occasionally other like minded friends gardens) for 3 years now and the difference is amazing. GMO veggies feel stale, sterile and dead when you consume them whereas the natural veggies feel full of energy and life ..... ;)

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/why-should-i-avoid-gmos.html
http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/eight-reasons-gmos-are-bad-for-you.html
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how-to-win-a-gmo-debate-top-10-facts-why-gm-food-is-bad.html

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have trouble reaching my proteins needs by the end of the day so I tend to focus on getting more meat in my diet rather than getting multiple vegetables some days. So I always try to focus on getting the best vegetable I can so I'm not completely unhealthy. I've been using spinach/kale and edamame as my go to vegetables and I was wondering if anyone else only eats a few vegetables or just knows one or two that might be better a better bang for my buck or if I'm doing ok.
For protein your looking at peas
I would advise however get some beans or rice.
For carbs. ....potatos!

Carafa

Carafa

Awards
IMO bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, kale, and spinach are the best veggies out there that still taste great.

kristina_nic1

kristina_nic1

Awards
I have a hard time eating veggies all the time so I've experimented with a few different green formulas in the past and found one that I really like. The name is Green Supreme Fusion by SAN. Taste isn't bad IMO. I was actually quite surprised. I usually mix mine with 8 oz of water but I'm sure mixing it with juice would work just as well! This one has 5+ servings of Fruits and Veggies per serving. (2 scoops) It also has pre and probiotics as well as digestive enzymes (which is a plus in my books!) It's also Non-GMO and it's pretty cheap! You can get 30 servings for around $22 online at TGB Supplements.

Attachments