Carbs ??

hernandez910

hernandez910

Awards
How exactly do carbs work? I been cycling my carbs for a long time(carbs on training days/no carbs on off days). But I keep seeing people talking about no carbs at all!!! Supposedly if you don't eat carbs everyday your body will eventually start using fat using fat as energy and get shredded, is that true?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Completely dependant on total caloric intake, not carbohydrate consumption.

Research the ketogenic diet if you want to understand the no carb dieting, it can be an effective weight loss plan but so can any diet where you monitor caloric intake and keep it under your TDEE

hernandez910

hernandez910

Awards
Will you lose muscle doing the no carb diet? Or not gain any?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If done properly with high fat intake (again, research the diet) you are able to build muscle or if cutting retain it.

There are some logs here on AM where ketogenic dieting was used.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
People lose muscle from a prolonged period of cutting which can happen over time and at a very low kcal caloric intake, or cutting calories too fast
If you can tolerate carbs why neglect them? They are not the devil. If you control your caloric deficit you are fine.

Carbs are very beneficial and help with t3, leptin, and hormone levels when using them in refeeds and also cheat meals
not to mention carbs are very beneficial for glucose as the body's main form of energy once you meet proper protein and fat minimums

I would suggest reading these links to help you out OP

If Cutting Read the following:

Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Diets Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

JackBox

JackBox

Awards
You'll likely lose fat on a low carb diet. It's easy to maintain muscle mass, but pretty hard to put on muscle if you're not getting adequate carbs. I like carb back loading-- basically keeping my diet extremely low-carb (other than green veggies) until post workout. then I'll have some carbs to refill glycogen stores for the following day's workout. I've tried all kinds of approaches to low carb, cyclic ketogenic, you name it. Back loading seems to be the only way, for me at least, to put on muscle and lose fat (or maintain my weight) at the same time.

Abraham67

Abraham67

Awards
You'll likely lose fat on a low carb diet. It's easy to maintain muscle mass, but pretty hard to put on muscle if you're not getting adequate carbs. I like carb back loading-- basically keeping my diet extremely low-carb (other than green veggies) until post workout. then I'll have some carbs to refill glycogen stores for the following day's workout. I've tried all kinds of approaches to low carb, cyclic ketogenic, you name it. Back loading seems to be the only way, for me at least, to put on muscle and lose fat (or maintain my weight) at the same time.
Great advice. Carb backloading is great for me too. Works like a charm!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i would carb cycle over low carb or no carb. and your not really "cycling it" right for fat loss. here is example: mon/tus/wed- low carb, thurs/fri-med carbs, sat/sun-high carb ( cheat days, pack it in)

I

infraredline

Awards
I would say you are definitely at a greater risk of losing muscle when doing keto, and I would deserve that for of diet for when you are using other anabic compounds to counteract any sort of muscle loss that could occur.

Generally speaking though keto is best used when dieting to lose fat.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I would say you are definitely at a greater risk of losing muscle when doing keto, and I would deserve that for of diet for when you are using other anabic compounds to counteract any sort of muscle loss that could occur. Generally speaking though keto is best used when dieting to lose fat.
Keto is high fat, very low carbs, and moderate protein, correct? So with that said what is high very high protein, very low carbs, and mod fat?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Oh, okay. But this type of keto is way more muscle sparing instead of the traditional style keto, due to higher protein correct?
Keto = Low carb (under 50g of carbs) protein/fat should vary based off individual and their weight and caloric needs.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I have no personal experience with keto, but I have heard some say they aren't able to stay in ketosis if protein is too high.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wouldn't glucogenesis be upregulated with a low fat/carb diet and high protein, making it harder to stay in ketosis?
You need to read the Keto Diet by Lyle McDonald. His book covers everything in detail.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
You need to read the Keto Diet by Lyle McDonald. His book covers everything in detail.
Sorry if I came off as wanting to start a discussion, I just was asking honest questions since as I said before I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on keto. If I ever decide to try it personally I'll surely look into that book, Lyle's been on my to-read list for some time now.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sorry if I came off as wanting to start a discussion, I just was asking honest questions since as I said before I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on keto. If I ever decide to try it personally I'll surely look into that book, Lyle's been on my to-read list for some time now.
All good, the book will make you understand why.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
M Supplements 22
F Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
S Anabolics 23