Carbs ?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Carbs ??

1. New Member

Carbs ??

How exactly do carbs work? I been cycling my carbs for a long time(carbs on training days/no carbs on off days). But I keep seeing people talking about no carbs at all!!! Supposedly if you don't eat carbs everyday your body will eventually start using fat using fat as energy and get shredded, is that true?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Completely dependant on total caloric intake, not carbohydrate consumption.

Research the ketogenic diet if you want to understand the no carb dieting, it can be an effective weight loss plan but so can any diet where you monitor caloric intake and keep it under your TDEE
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  3. New Member

Will you lose muscle doing the no carb diet? Or not gain any?
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez910 View Post
    If done properly with high fat intake (again, research the diet) you are able to build muscle or if cutting retain it.

There are some logs here on AM where ketogenic dieting was used.
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

People lose muscle from a prolonged period of cutting which can happen over time and at a very low kcal caloric intake, or cutting calories too fast
    If you can tolerate carbs why neglect them? They are not the devil. If you control your caloric deficit you are fine.

Carbs are very beneficial and help with t3, leptin, and hormone levels when using them in refeeds and also cheat meals
    not to mention carbs are very beneficial for glucose as the body's main form of energy once you meet proper protein and fat minimums

I would suggest reading these links to help you out OP

If Cutting Read the following:

Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Diets Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

You'll likely lose fat on a low carb diet. It's easy to maintain muscle mass, but pretty hard to put on muscle if you're not getting adequate carbs. I like carb back loading-- basically keeping my diet extremely low-carb (other than green veggies) until post workout. then I'll have some carbs to refill glycogen stores for the following day's workout. I've tried all kinds of approaches to low carb, cyclic ketogenic, you name it. Back loading seems to be the only way, for me at least, to put on muscle and lose fat (or maintain my weight) at the same time.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBox View Post
    You'll likely lose fat on a low carb diet. It's easy to maintain muscle mass, but pretty hard to put on muscle if you're not getting adequate carbs. I like carb back loading-- basically keeping my diet extremely low-carb (other than green veggies) until post workout. then I'll have some carbs to refill glycogen stores for the following day's workout. I've tried all kinds of approaches to low carb, cyclic ketogenic, you name it. Back loading seems to be the only way, for me at least, to put on muscle and lose fat (or maintain my weight) at the same time.
    Great advice. Carb backloading is great for me too. Works like a charm!
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i would carb cycle over low carb or no carb. and your not really "cycling it" right for fat loss. here is example: mon/tus/wed- low carb, thurs/fri-med carbs, sat/sun-high carb ( cheat days, pack it in)
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
  9. New Member

I would say you are definitely at a greater risk of losing muscle when doing keto, and I would deserve that for of diet for when you are using other anabic compounds to counteract any sort of muscle loss that could occur.

Generally speaking though keto is best used when dieting to lose fat.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by infraredline View Post
    I would say you are definitely at a greater risk of losing muscle when doing keto, and I would deserve that for of diet for when you are using other anabic compounds to counteract any sort of muscle loss that could occur. Generally speaking though keto is best used when dieting to lose fat.
    Keto is high fat, very low carbs, and moderate protein, correct? So with that said what is high very high protein, very low carbs, and mod fat?
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post
    Keto is high fat, very low carbs, and moderate protein, correct? So with that said what is high very high protein, very low carbs, and mod fat?
    I still call that keto
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by infraredline View Post
    I still call that keto
    Oh, okay. But this type of keto is way more muscle sparing instead of the traditional style keto, due to higher protein correct?
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post
    Oh, okay. But this type of keto is way more muscle sparing instead of the traditional style keto, due to higher protein correct?
    Keto = Low carb (under 50g of carbs) protein/fat should vary based off individual and their weight and caloric needs.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have no personal experience with keto, but I have heard some say they aren't able to stay in ketosis if protein is too high.
    Antaeus Labs Rep
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisripped View Post
    I have no personal experience with keto, but I have heard some say they aren't able to stay in ketosis if protein is too high.
    Carbs is the main factor. under 50g total daily.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Carbs is the main factor. under 50g total daily.
    Wouldn't glucogenesis be upregulated with a low fat/carb diet and high protein, making it harder to stay in ketosis?
    Antaeus Labs Rep
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Wouldn't glucogenesis be upregulated with a low fat/carb diet and high protein, making it harder to stay in ketosis?
    You need to read the Keto Diet by Lyle McDonald. His book covers everything in detail.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    You need to read the Keto Diet by Lyle McDonald. His book covers everything in detail.
    Sorry if I came off as wanting to start a discussion, I just was asking honest questions since as I said before I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on keto. If I ever decide to try it personally I'll surely look into that book, Lyle's been on my to-read list for some time now.
    Antaeus Labs Rep
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Sorry if I came off as wanting to start a discussion, I just was asking honest questions since as I said before I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on keto. If I ever decide to try it personally I'll surely look into that book, Lyle's been on my to-read list for some time now.
    All good, the book will make you understand why.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Carb Cycleing Diet
    By dez/null in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
  2. Low carb soy pasta, check it out
    By jweave23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 07:21 PM
  3. Low carb bars, IMPACT carbs!