Diet Plan Help?

T

TrumpetLegend

Awards
Hey guys,

Long story short, I'm about 180lb skinny fat male with about 20-25% body fat and a thyroid problem that is finally under control. (Hashimoto's/Hypo)

Been working out hard 4x per week with a mostly compound lifts free weight 5x5 workout and seeing some gains. Got my first compliment that I look like I've been working out from the Subway guy today and feeling motivated! #1 goal is to lose the gut by next summer and get a little bigger. I don't respond well to traditional bulk and cuts.

Can someone help me figure out a diet plan? I've done lots of research on it including low carb, intermittent fast, carb cycling, low glycemic foods etc, but there is so much conflicting info out there that I have no idea where to start...

Thanks!

P.S. Hate cardio!!!

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Id simply start with a basic calorie deficit using a tested 40/40/20 macro diet.

So at your weight I suggest:
1800cal with 180protein/180carbs/40fats.

This would be a start as your BMR (this is the amount of calories you need to stay at your current weight) is 2000cal.
So dropping that by 200cal a day will hopefully see a loss of 1-2lb a week with some LISS cardio 2-3x a week. (know you hate it, but its only some walking on an incline for 15-20mins)

And if after week 1, slightly adjust it to say 1700cal a day. But i dont think there will be a need to do that, just keep doing what your doing with those macros.

Good luck :thumbsup:

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ This! I should have linked this really, would have saved me typing basically the same thing :veryhappy:

T

TrumpetLegend

Awards
Thanks guys, just read that! None of that is new info to me. The problem I'm having is that I do have a metabolic deficiency. Hashimotos hypothyroidism.... It makes it so that I'm very insulin resistant which is why I wasn't sure if I should do something like a 40% Protein, 40% fat, 20% carb split as opposed to the usual 40/40/20? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Id simply start with a basic calorie deficit using a tested 40/40/20 macro diet.

So at your weight I suggest:
1800cal with 180protein/180carbs/40fats.

This would be a start as your BMR (this is the amount of calories you need to stay at your current weight) is 2000cal.
So dropping that by 200cal a day will hopefully see a loss of 1-2lb a week with some LISS cardio 2-3x a week. (know you hate it, but its only some walking on an incline for 15-20mins)

And if after week 1, slightly adjust it to say 1700cal a day. But i dont think there will be a need to do that, just keep doing what your doing with those macros.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Do not go below your BMR as suggested above as that's the rate at which you burn calories at rest, calculate your tdee(total daily energy expenditure) sand eat 2-500kcal below that but never ever lower calories below your bmr

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
If I calculate my TDEE it's 2700cal, I'm cutting at 1900 and am only losing 1lb a week. Could you please explain how you work out your specific calorie defecit per day if my TDEE is that hight? Genuinely curious as I've never done it this way and have personally always done it off my own BMR. Thanks

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
1lb a week is good, weight loss is a marathon not a sprint

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Yeah sorry may have phrased that wrong. I am aiming for 1lb a week. But I was just confused that if my TDEE is 2700 and I'm cutting at 1900, should I be losing more? I'm so confused now lol

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Pay more attention to the mirror instead of the scale you've probably put on some muscle as well